Pre - Match Thread

MaVilla

Defence still picks itself as you don't want to be picking Taylor v Arsenal given Targett was a bit off it tonight.

Infront though I'd go:

Doug-    Sanson

Trez      Traore      Jack

Ollie

Danger is that might be a bit lightweight and untested combinations but we were so flat tonight and looked a team that really needs to freshen up a bit especially as it's at 12.30 on Saturday. That's the difficult decision for the manager as Barkley and SJM did play well at the Emirates but Arsenal are improved from that period and well Barkley dosen't deserve a start after that effort tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Defence still picks itself as you don't want to be picking Taylor v Arsenal given Targett was a bit off it tonight.

Infront though I'd go:

Doug-    Sanson

Trez      Traore      Jack

Ollie

Danger is that might be a bit lightweight and untested combinations but we were so flat tonight and looked a team that really needs to freshen up a bit especially as it's at 12.30 on Saturday. That's the difficult decision for the manager as Barkley and SJM did play well at the Emirates but Arsenal are improved from that period and well Barkley dosen't deserve a start after that effort tonight.

This needs to be the starting line up. Mcginn and barkley on the bench can always come on after 60 mins or so. We need to rotate players , we simply cannot play the same 11 every game for the rest of the season.

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Last double we did was then too?

Yes we did the double over them in the 92/93 season (1-0 at VP, 1-0 away), then won at Highbury again the following season, 2-1 in the League & 1-0 in the League Cup to actually notch 4 wins in a row in all competitions, before losing at Villa Park 1-2.

17 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Personally would play Trez on the right - always think we have a better balance to our midfield with him in the team.

Also, he did well against this opposition last time.

He tends to like playing Arsenal, scored the cracker that practically kept us up.

Don't know if Tierney will make it but potentially they could have him and Saka so you need plenty of energy and workrate to nulify that and feels like a game that would expose Traore's lack of off the ball awareness.

• Like 3

Changes needed for sure and it’s not a knee jerk reaction from last night.  We need to freshen a little.  Arsenal going forward looked bright and dangerous the other night but boy they looked sloppy at times defensively, especially after the first sending off. 

We need to get into Xhaka and especially Partey quickly in order to stop them playing and feeding balls to Saka and Pepe.  For 40 minutes against Wolves they looked fantastic and that was without Aubameyang starting.  Defensively though they clearly have issues.  The keeper will be a concern for them obviously but Holding isn’t great at CB if he starts and I hope Tierney remains out. Luiz for all his dark arts is still a miss also, as he can organise a backline and pass well out of defence.

As alluded to above we need to freshen the team a little and recovery over the next couple of days is all important.  The back five picks itself and so remains the same. However, midfield and wide areas is where we can tweak the team:

Nakamba        Sanson

Grealish 

Traore                                                       Trez

Watkins

Nakamba and Sanson together is a risk and Smith won’t play them together I’m sure but I think we need the legs in the middle to stop them playing.  Trez on the left is also a risk but I think his tracking and engine can help Targett in keeping Saka in check.  I suppose can we support Watkins enough with Grealish in the middle?  

• Like 1

Performance levels have taken a massive dip since that HT whistle went at Turf Moor. Southampton and West Ham both got in our faces and gave us no time or room to operate. Arsenal have improved in this aspect whenever ive seen them lately so we need to stop being so wayward and sloppy in posession. So frustrating against West Ham last night. I actually think this Arsenal game suits us more and its a good chance to bury the thought of last night.

That result we nicked at St. Mary’s was crucial, as if we had drawn both Soton & West Ham we probably could have accepted that, yet we’ve gained a point more than that scenario; looking at things positively. So a win on Saturday afternoon will allow us a good weekend to take in the rest of the games knowing we’re back in a good place. We’re 6 points behind West Ham with 2 games in hand (so basically had a similar season performance wise except for the 6 points we’ve handed to them)

3 wins in a row against Arsenal will do very nicely. We even beat their first team without our internationals 3-2 in preseason. That performance at the Emirates was right up there, we demoralised them and enjoyed one of Barkleys best games for us.

Id like to see Sanson start, Traore come back in and Trezeguet too. Think we’ve missed the balance he adds to the side; aswell as his workrate. Hope we can get the points and put the disappointment of last night behind us UTV

• Like 1

theres a danger of thinking this will be an easy game due to the suspensions and the ease at which we won the game earlier in the season

it'll be another hard game, if arsenal turn up and play their stuff and we have the same midfield 3 blowing out of their asses then i dont see anything other than an arsenal win

cant let smith rowe do what lingard did

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Leno out for this. This will be a tough game. Hoping for at least a draw. I'd like to see Sanson for the full 90. 

1-1

Traore 

A draw?  What's a draw?  We don't seem to do those.

10 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Nakamba in for me we need some serious defensive presence in the midfield. We are soft as shit and to easy to score against. 

Apart from having the second most clean sheets in the league...

• Thanks 2