General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

On 11/04/2024 at 14:37, sne said:

Great. Can we follow this up with getting rid of completely redundant and useless Linesmen/Linespeople now please? They're making a mockery of the whole thing by standing there with their flags down for 40 seconds waiting for players to gas themselves or potentially get injured, then they flag when the ball goes dead.

If technology can call offsides automatically then get rid.

• Like 1

yeah, once the center ref makes the foul call it has to be a red. It's DOGSO and even if it's in the box (which it isn't), he doesn't make a play for the ball. 

Edited by Villaphan04

23 hours ago, bobzy said:

For me, it's a soft foul.  I'm not sure he really impedes the attacker that much - he's absolutely looking to go to ground...

...but... if you're giving it as a foul, a red card is then probably the correct decision.

I think it arguably could have been a penalty as well.

The foul certainly carries on into the box, although I can't even remember what the rule is now.

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it arguably could have been a penalty as well.

The foul certainly carries on into the box, although I can't even remember what the rule is now.

I agree with villaphan if it was a penalty there's a good argument that it's not an attempt at playing the ball so there is no double jeopardy and it would be a penalty and still a red card 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I agree with villaphan if it was a penalty there's a good argument that it's not an attempt at playing the ball so there is no double jeopardy and it would be a penalty and still a red card 

Yeah agreed.

I was more referencing that I didn't know if it was still the rule that if the foul carries on into the box it's a penalty. Or is it done on the initial contact

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah agreed.

I was more referencing that I didn't know if it was still the rule that if the foul carries on into the box it's a penalty. Or is it done on the initial contact

It's still the former, it's a penalty if the foul carries into the box, except for Utd against Bournemouth at the weekend.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's still the former, it's a penalty if the foul carries into the box, except for Utd against Bournemouth at the weekend.

And Barca in this instance then

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

FWIW, I don't think that foul carried on into the box.  The Bournemouth player was caught outside the box and fell into it.

Forest's VAR official Stuart Attwell grew up in Nuneaton, less than 10 miles from the Sky Blues' Arena, which ironically should mean that he is a Coventry City fan, who would not have gifted Man U that ridiculous offside decision...

Edited by Django_Zooms

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The 3rd penalty shout is one of the worst non-calls I've ever seen. VAR or not.

I think real time it could absolutely look like Young has won the ball.  It pings up in a really odd way so I've got no issue with the referee missing that.

How VAR doesn't pick it up; no idea.

50 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think real time it could absolutely look like Young has won the ball.  It pings up in a really odd way so I've got no issue with the referee missing that.

How VAR doesn't pick it up; no idea.

Agree and disagree.

With our implementation they're looking at 2 things. Whether it's a pen on field and whether VAR were correct to get involved.

They can basically say the ref got it wrong but VAR also got it right. Refs have to be braver to give the decision, and the protocol has to change so VAR's aren't backed up by 'the independent panel' saying they were right to not get involved.

Still don't understand why we aren't sending refs more often to the screen to check. Especially in this 3rd case, where Taylor said 'ball' and the VAR can easily correct him on that and ask him to take another look.

Â