General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

17 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Doesn’t that weirdly make a retrospective ban more likely since it was clearly completely missed somehow?

Ref didn't miss it apparently, had a word and just let it go.

• Haha 1

Maddison is showing himself to be a bit of tit this season. He's a decent player, not as good as he think he is, but all the stuff about Cashy, this shit, wind it in you rat

• Like 1

In the Arsenal-Bayern match last night:

-Kane should have seen red for his elbow on Gabriel

-Bayern should have had a penalty for an Arsenal defender picking the ball up in the box

-Saka trying to buy a penalty at the end, probably should have been carded for diving/remonstrating

Three contentious decisions in an otherwise cracking match. Have to say that it is, in a way, refreshing that any "debate" about these decisions has nothing to do with VAR

Edited by a-k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a-k said:

In the Arsenal-Bayern match last night:

-Kane should have seen red for his elbow on Gabriel

-Bayern should have had a penalty for an Arsenal defender picking the ball up in the box

-Saka trying to buy a penalty at the end, probably should have been carded for diving/remonstrating

Three contentious decisions in an otherwise cracking match. Have to say that it is, in a way, refreshing that any "debate" about these decisions has nothing to do with VAR

VAR should have picked up the Kane elbow really. The ref missed or didn't have a full clear view of what he'd done I don't think. 

The others the ref saw and opined on at the time. The hand ball by the Arsenal player is utterly bizarre. I can understand the ref not wanting to make such a huge non-sporting mistake a match deciding event... but the ball was in play and the arsenal player picked it up.  

• Like 2

I was watching the city game so I missed that handball incident. Absolutely bizarre, and the explanation is even worse

39 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

VAR should have picked up the Kane elbow really. The ref missed or didn't have a full clear view of what he'd done I don't think. 

The others the ref saw and opined on at the time. The hand ball by the Arsenal player is utterly bizarre. I can understand the ref not wanting to make such a huge non-sporting mistake a match deciding event... but the ball was in play and the arsenal player picked it up.  

They did

VAR watch everything, what they didn't do was flag it to the ref, but they will have seen it and thought it was OK

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They did

VAR watch everything, what they didn't do was flag it to the ref, but they will have seen it and thought it was OK

Yeah I meant picked it up as in pointed out to the ref he'd got it wrong. So there was an angle of VAR incompetence which the OP suggested wasn't a factor. Certainly not the main talking point anyway!

I thought the ref did very well really. I'd be interested to see what FIFA/Uefa say about the handball.  Its not like there's a rule that permits you to handball it if there isn't any danger nearby.

Weirdly I had a ref blow for a handball against my Sunday league team in somewhat similar circumstances. I was taking a throw near half way line,  but our big centre back was going to launch it forward (classic tactic). Already having raised my arms back to take it, I dropped the ball forwards towards him.  He picked it up, ref blew for handball. It was clearly not a valid throwing action so should have been a foul throw rather than handball probably, but my kids mistake didn't get let off.

I think there's an unspoken element within football of pure rulebook vs what 'football expects'.

I don't think anybody wants a penalty for that, especially in this case where Gabriel thought he was taking the goal kick, and no Bayern player was actually pressing him.

If Raya passes that, Gabriel picks it up with a Bayern player on top of him, it should be a pen without any doubt.

There's also no rule that you need to give the ball back from the other team kicking it out, but football expects it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think there's an unspoken element within football of pure rulebook vs what 'football expects'.

I don't think anybody wants a penalty for that, especially in this case where Gabriel thought he was taking the goal kick, and no Bayern player was actually pressing him.

If Raya passes that, Gabriel picks it up with a Bayern player on top of him, it should be a pen without any doubt.

There's also no rule that you need to give the ball back from the other team kicking it out, but football expects it.

If the penalty was given then most teams probably would give the ball back as good sports. Harry Kane is definitely not one of them players 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If the penalty was given then most teams probably would give the ball back as good sports. Harry Kane is definitely not one of them players 😂

Interesting point.  I think the right result came about from what the ref did, even though it wasn't "allowed" by the rules. Hence why I'm intrigued to see how the powers that be handle it. I'm guessing it will be swept under the rug. 

Tuchel clearly wouldn't have wanted to give them the ball back if a penalty was given so I very much doubt that most teams would miss on purpose these days. Too much money in footbal for it to be considered a game played fairly. 

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I didn't mean that VAR should not have intervened (I think it was a red, personally), but it just feels "right" and "natural" that any contentious point is due to how it used to / should be, not re-refereeing

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Away from home in a CL quarter final?

No, they aren't :D 

• Like 1

I think in the Arsenal game he got the Kane one right then wrong, he saw the elbow and gave the wrong colour card, but that's subjective and his decision. I thought he got the handball penalty wrong and perfectly right, by the letter of the law it should be a penalty, but he's pretty much just said "come on lads, grow up" and he deserves a lot of credit for that. I thought he got the Saka penalty right and very right, it's not a penalty, he's well positioned and in the last minute in front of a baying crowd he had the strength to back his own judgement and make a very good call - i thought he refereed it really well.

The handball at the Albion is an absolute joke and the referee and assistant should be disciplined.

• Like 2

Premier League to use semi-automated offside in hope of speeding up VAR calls

• System expected to be ready during autumn of next season
  • Trials show average VAR decision will be 31 seconds shorter

The Premier League is to introduce semi-automated offside technology from next season, in the hope of reducing the time it takes to make VAR decisions.

The system will use camera footage and tracking software to calculate the position of players at the moment of a potential offside, replacing the need for VAR teams to do so. In trials, this process has been shown to reduce the average length of a VAR decision by 31 seconds.

Clubs voted unanimously to introduce the technology at a Premier League shareholders’ meeting on Thursday, with its first use expected in the autumn but not at the season’s start. The league had previously expressed reservations over adopting the technology but it has received the full backing of the referees’ chief Howard Webb, who said he was “delighted” by the news.

Semi-automated offside technology was used successfully during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. It eliminates the need for VARs to manually add lines to camera images and will produce graphics that can be shown to fans in stadiums. VARs may still be required to assess offside decisions in the event of a goal being scored, depending on the complexity of the assessment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/11/premier-league-to-use-semi-automated-offside-speed-up-var-calls#:~:text=Semi-automated offside technology was,shown to fans in stadiums.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, a-k said:

What are Barca complaining about? That was a red card any day of the week, no?

For me, it's a soft foul.  I'm not sure he really impedes the attacker that much - he's absolutely looking to go to ground...

...but... if you're giving it as a foul, a red card is then probably the correct decision.

• Like 1

took me a while to see it because i was trying to figure out what was going on with his legs, the contact high up is nothing, its not a foul, the clipping of his right leg though no matter how accidental and the fact that he then drags his foot and sells it after the bump it is a foul but only just, another frustrating one in that if he really wanted to stay upright and try and score he probably can but he'd rather fall over instead

and then yeah like you say if its a foul its a red

Â