Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

Back on the 5-2 diet starting today, along with 5k runs three times a week (stepping it up in Feb to daily runs) and press-ups etc

recently got stuck in a rut, working long hours with no exercise, followed by a very sedentary Christmas  just eating with a little alcohol.

I’m around 15 1/2 stone at 5’11 so overweight and soft in the middle! 

Today I have the delights of a banana breakfast, an apple and carrot lunch followed by a cabbage, carrot and pepper stir fry 🙁

I know this works for me along with more exercise so will hopefully visibly reap the rewards come March. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Risso said:

I didn't go through the flu stage. Had a couple of days of having no energy and craving carbs, but then that passed. I used to eat about four pieces of toast a day minimum, plus all sorts of other carbs (crisps, biscuits, chocolate etc) but I don't miss any of it now. I don't mind the cooking either, and it doesn't have to be limited.  If I make a spag bol for the kids, I have some but just replace the pasta with cauilflower rice for example.

I discovered cauliflower rice on keto as well, it’s bloody awful stuff.

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Let me recommend jogging bottoms to you, my friend. They come with a cord to tighten if needed.

Thank me later 😉

Its ok mate, I haven't sunk that low yet ;) 

• Sad 1

My missus is always on some kind of diet half of the year. When I first got with her she was on the speed diet, which basically was her not eating much because she was dropping bombs of speed all day. It works great, but eventually her mental health went downhill for some reason . I used to have to get it her in bulk and we’d keep it in the fridge . I’d already had my fun with it by the time I got with her , so left her to it. Strange times looking back.

• Haha 1

On 11/01/2021 at 10:34, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've had this discussion so many times, as I've always done sports and took off 20 kg a few years ago and 12 kg of those in less than 2 months.

Firstly all people are different. There's no guarantee what's best for Bob, also is the right path for Joe.

But I will nail something down right away. You will often hear it's better to lose a little over long time than a lot quickly. That's utter rubbish.

Secondly people will try to tell you to workout. Don't. It's calorie game. That battle is won and lost in the kitchen. By working out, most people will feel the need to refuel and never lose weight, cause they will feel good about working out and the workout > energy intake. It doesn't.

I had a different situation losing weight, cause while I had excess fat I had lots of muscle. Thus It's wildly different for everyone. Maybe it was easier for me? Maybe losing muscle mass by starvation gives you a different 'hunger' than if it's fat? I dunno. I did a crisp bread diet and went from 3 k kcal a day to 800-1200. After  two weeks it was not difficult and I did not feel hunger.

But it takes discipline. Most people simply don't have it.

1) Don't workout.

2) Eat way less. Drink lots of water. Never have cheat days. Fill up on proteins. 

3) Don't give up.

4) Use a measuring tape on neck, thighs, belly etc. I regret not doing this. 

5) Take 1 photo each week. I did this and it's such a laugh to look at.

6) No people are similar. What worked for me, might not work for you. But be sure losing weight is just a calorie equation.

Sorry for the big post, but dropping weight was a mission for me and I feel it's an accomplishment. I will carry it proudly.

No offense, but are you actually recommending people to be sedentary??? The reason why some people don't lose weight after beginning exercise is because they think "because I'm working out now, it's no problem to have a little bit of that chocolate/candy/crisps/whatever later when I get home". I've actually seen a friend of mine go to McDonald's after the gym, and his rationale was "there's protein in the cheese and beef, so I'm refueling". And, if you have been inactive for so long, depending on the type of exercise you start you may even gain a bit of weight first due to increased muscle mass. Yes, the battle is lost and won in the kitchen, but you can absolutely help yourself even further with exercise. I'll assume you know that exercising burns calories, and I don't need to explain all the other health benefits of being active.

Eat properly, move properly, and eat properly after moving properly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a-k said:

No offense, but are you actually recommending people to be sedentary??? The reason why some people don't lose weight after beginning exercise is because they think "because I'm working out now, it's no problem to have a little bit of that chocolate/candy/crisps/whatever later when I get home". I've actually seen a friend of mine go to McDonald's after the gym, and his rationale was "there's protein in the cheese and beef, so I'm refueling". And, if you have been inactive for so long, depending on the type of exercise you start you may even gain a bit of weight first due to increased muscle mass. Yes, the battle is lost and won in the kitchen, but you can absolutely help yourself even further with exercise. I'll assume you know that exercising burns calories, and I don't need to explain all the other health benefits of being active.

Kenji can speak for himself, but in my experience, if workout performance becomes too important, it might come into conflict with a strict weight loss plan. And, heavy work outs can make your appetite run a little crazy. 

Activity is very useful indeed, essential really, but pushing performance while cutting calories is difficult, so not being too concerned with workout results while you’re losing weight is useful advice. 

Edited by Michelsen

Definitely work out if you can... just start slow. Like... go out for a 5 minute walk slow.

We are programmed to want things now so we chuck ourselves into the deep end with crazy diets/solid workouts/fasting. This is all unsustainable. To be healthy, you need to make it a lifestyle, not a temporary diet. It's just about making conscious choices but most importantly starting slow. Don't completely cut out beer right away, you'll crack. Just slowly cut it down. Same with junk food etc etc.

On the flip, if you want to burn as much fat as you possibly can so by the time a special occasion comes around again you can drink and eat yourself silly and put it all back on then fair play... you do you.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Well, the first week of the 5:2 went well.

A simple spinach and mushroom omelette (no cheese 😞) and a cabbage stir fry were my main meals - both low on calories. 

also managed three runs of 2.5m - shocked at how slow I was first run out and ached afterwards.

However, have sped up a little already and feel fine the mornings after now.

will keep on with three runs during the week for the next fortnight but looking to step up to daily during the week as of February and add another half mile onto my route. 

Want to keep this going for the next few months and see where I’m at!

Does two and a half metres to the fridge really count as a run? 

Joking of course, good effort. I basically ate 500 calorie dinners for the whole of last year (and will carry on doing so without even thinking about it because it was mainly just portioned versions of what I already liked to eat) so feel free to ask if you need any inspiration.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Does two and a half metres to the fridge really count as a run? 

Joking of course, good effort. I basically ate 500 calorie dinners for the whole of last year (and will carry on doing so without even thinking about it because it was mainly just portioned versions of what I already liked to eat) so feel free to ask if you need any inspiration.

Cheers for the offer - I think lessening my daily portion size would help too! 

generally I eat well and healthily, all cooked from scratch but I like what I cook and can eat a fair bit 😂

• Like 1

I'd also recommend rice for those who keto etc is a step too far.

Get the 10kg bulk sack at your nearest wholesale or Indian-esque shop (no unkle bens or any of that bitesize packaged stuff). Learn to cook it by the ~cup, in ~cup of boiling water and boil that off so that the rice is not a water soggy mess. Switch this is in for things like fries/potato/pasta - it's almost impossible to gain weight with it and once you figure out the portion sizing, sacks last ages.

No fried rice or any nonsense like that, just vanilla white rice. Use a little sauce for the veg/meat if needed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Cheers for the offer - I think lessening my daily portion size would help too! 

generally I eat well and healthily, all cooked from scratch but I like what I cook and can eat a fair bit 😂

Me too, it was when I realised that by counting calories I could easily eat things like paella, goulash, tortilla pizzas, even carbonara within 500 calories, and all I ever needed was an understanding of a sensible amount of carbs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Well, the first week of the 5:2 went well.

A simple spinach and mushroom omelette (no cheese 😞) and a cabbage stir fry were my main meals - both low on calories. 

also managed three runs of 2.5m - shocked at how slow I was first run out and ached afterwards.

However, have sped up a little already and feel fine the mornings after now.

will keep on with three runs during the week for the next fortnight but looking to step up to daily during the week as of February and add another half mile onto my route. 

Want to keep this going for the next few months and see where I’m at!

There’s a few cook books out there with meals to have on the 5:2 low calorie days. Look them up otherwise you’ll get bored very fast

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 15:34, Michelsen said:

Kenji can speak for himself, but in my experience, if workout performance becomes too important, it might come into conflict with a strict weight loss plan. And, heavy work outs can make your appetite run a little crazy. 

Activity is very useful indeed, essential really, but pushing performance while cutting calories is difficult, so not being too concerned with workout results while you’re losing weight is useful advice. 

Indeed. The point is that it's virtually impossible to work out properly and maintain a diet. It's too much. And if you have to pick one of the two for weight loss, it's always easier to choose the kitchen route over thinking you can burn enough calories in the gym.

The only activity I would recommend if you're going hard on a diet is doing walks. A 5 mile walk every day won't affect your appetite much, but heavy lifting will. 

Then again I tend to do everything in extremes. I work out pretty extreme and I also ran a pretty extreme diet to shed 20 kg as fast as possible. I know it's not for everyone, but in the case you want to try that out, I'd never recommend working out at the same time. I don't have any other ways of explaining it, but working out while running such a diet makes what is already very hard completely impossible. 

It's worth mentioning that my experience with this is based around rowing workouts and lifting weights. For those who only do running for instance, the experience might be different. 

On 13/01/2021 at 15:23, a-k said:

You are kind of making my point for me. The entire point is that if you try to lift weights while running an extreme diet, you will hit the wall. You simply won't be able to keep strict to the diet. You need to seperate the two. People aren't struggling losing weight cause they are sedentary. They are struggling to shift the weight cause they are eating too much. You will not spend more calories working out than you stuff in your face. And that's why running a hard core diet with no exercise will always beat a careful diet with working out at the same time. If you have the discipline that is. 

On 16/01/2021 at 11:47, KenjiOgiwara said:

You are kind of making my point for me. The entire point is that if you try to lift weights while running an extreme diet, you will hit the wall. You simply won't be able to keep strict to the diet. You need to seperate the two. People aren't struggling losing weight cause they are sedentary. They are struggling to shift the weight cause they are eating too much. You will not spend more calories working out than you stuff in your face. And that's why running a hard core diet with no exercise will always beat a careful diet with working out at the same time. If you have the discipline that is. 

Yes, of course the diet is most important, I wasn't denying that. But, if people can learn to eat properly for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, why can't they learn to eat properly after doing some sort of exercise? Knowing all the health benefits of exercise and that it is only contraindicated in rare circumstances, it was astonishing to read someone advising to stay sedentary. Maybe the confusion came from you originally using the term "work out", not "lift weights". I agree that lifting weights is not necessary, but simply going for a run or doing HIIT can be considered a form of a work out.

Â