Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

34 minutes ago, a-k said:

Yes, of course the diet is most important, I wasn't denying that. But, if people can learn to eat properly for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, why can't they learn to eat properly after doing some sort of exercise? Knowing all the health benefits of exercise and that it is only contraindicated in rare circumstances, it was astonishing to read someone advising to stay sedentary. Maybe the confusion came from you originally using the term "work out", not "lift weights". I agree that lifting weights is not necessary, but simply going for a run or doing HIIT can be considered a form of a work out.

I suspect you would hit the same problem with HIIT or running though. But do what you feel like.

It's just unfortunate that people struggle so much with weight loss, and actually think it's smart to do heavy calorie burning workouts while dieting hard. Just makes it all so much harder.

But again that's just my experience of it and people are very different.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I suspect you would hit the same problem with HIIT or running though. But do what you feel like.

It's just unfortunate that people struggle so much with weight loss, and actually think it's smart to do heavy calorie burning workouts while dieting hard. Just makes it all so much harder.

Who suggested this? Note that I've said "eat properly", not "starve yourself"

• Confused 1

Just now, a-k said:

Who suggested this? Note that I've said "eat properly", not "starve yourself"

You responded to me. That's what I initially said.

Eating properly is pretty basic knowledge and most people do that post workouts.

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's much easier to maintain focus and discipline when you see results isn't it?

Absolutely.

Take aways are the biggest issue for us.

My cooking skills are very basic, and my wife is a good cook but hates it. So it’s easy to slip into bad habits buying stuff in.

We’re both trying to be more disciplined and cooking more, just having a treat night once a week and it feels like the results are starting to show.

Even if you do home cooking it's pit falls, at lesst for me.

It's probably different in the UK, US etc. cause the tradition of eating out is much stronger. Here we eat out relatively seldom, thus the portions you get are pretty small. So that limits itself sort of.

Cooking at home however I often think it's difficult to not over eat. Simply because we cook too much food.

Eating healthy costs a **** fortune too! 

Tom Kerridge says a splash of chilli sauce on everything and try and do no carbs, eat veg sides and stuff like that 

YouTube is great for cooking 

My biggest diet tip is do exercise at a given time which then controls your eating, pre lockdown it was easy cos I had football twice a week, years ago when I lost weight I went to the gym at 6pm for a class, that then controls everything I eat in the day, I don't have a free hit at it for lunch I can't eat a mcdonalds cos I'll feel rough, won't eat chocolate because it feels pointless 

Now I row for 20nmins and do some 10 minute YouTube video at about 11.30am, means I don't eat breakfast and I can control the working from home mid morning itch, if I've got a meeting I push it back meaning I might reduce my lunch portion or skip lunch altogether 

When football comes back on Wednesdays and Fridays I'll go to an increased lunch portion but then I won't eat tea because of playing 

Its worked for me, block out food with the timing of your exercise 

My Man vs Fat football programme started back up about 7 weeks ago.  It's not terrifically well organised, and as it's free for the first season we've got a fair few cloggers turning up so it's not as "jovial" as one would like (pretty much standard Power League aggro-levels at times) but between the accountability of that, getting my arse back down the gym, playing 11-a-side with far younger/fitter folks than me to chase shadows once a week and making some major eating alterations, I've dropped about 8 kilos.  I've definitely plateaued at the moment on the exercise-side as the damn programme's being suspended during the Euros and knowing what I'm like, I definitely need that motivation to kick my arse back into gear.  I'm pleased to say the eating habits have kinda stuck, for the most part though.  It's mostly gradual stuff, tweaks here and there but I know it's gotta become habitual.  I am doing the intermittent fasting thing as well, I mainly started it as an aide to cut-out snacking at all hours and seems to have held for the most part, but despite the fact I eat crap I've never been a breakfast person, I wake up in the morning and I just can't eat anything.  I've gradually found more and more veggie alternative stuff that I really like, which is also happening; Beyond Meat burgers, What the Cluck chicken pieces and Vivera kebabs specifically.  Reckon I've pretty much cut red meat out completely, and am maybe down to about 1-2 meals a week with chicken.  Trying to cut way back on the fizzy and get more water down me.

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Tom Kerridge says a splash of chilli sauce on everything and try and do no carbs, eat veg sides and stuff like that 

My biggest diet tip is do exercise at a given time which then controls your eating, pre lockdown it was easy cos I had football twice a week, years ago when I lost weight I went to the gym at 6pm for a class, that then controls everything I eat in the day, I don't have a free hit at it for lunch I can't eat a mcdonalds cos I'll feel rough, won't eat chocolate because it feels pointless 

Now I row for 20nmins and do some 10 minute YouTube video at about 11.30am, means I don't eat breakfast and I can control the working from home mid morning itch, if I've got a meeting I push it back meaning I might reduce my lunch portion or skip lunch altogether 

When football comes back on Wednesdays and Fridays I'll go to an increased lunch portion but then I won't eat tea because of playing 

This is so confusing to me. I know it's a thing in the US, where something as simple as root vegetables can be very expensive.

I haven’t actually ever checked the prices, but I'm fairly certain eating healthy is much cheaper here than the alternative.

Then again we've almost always been a poor farming country, whether it's fish or land based.

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is so confusing to me. I know it's a thing in the US, where something as simple as root vegetables can be very expensive.

I haven’t actually ever checked the prices, but I'm fairly certain eating healthy is much cheaper here than the alternative.

Then again we've almost always been a poor farming country, whether it's fish or land based.

I think obesity is very much becoming a class/poverty issue in Norway too. It’s more complex than just prices, although processed crap is cheap. You have to consider the time, knowledge (and money) it takes to plan, purchase and prepare a healthy family dinner. When both parents (or the single parent) work incompatible shifts for low wages, sometimes all you can do feed your kids is to get a frozen pizza and have the older sibling stick it in the oven while you rush to get the bus to work and your partner won’t be home for another hour. 

I’m very much on the «anyone get get fit and eat healthy» end of the scale, but I fully appreciate it’s a lot easier for me than for people who really struggle to make ends meet. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah I found eating healthy to be expensive in both the UK and Germany, especially if you're single, it's hard to compete with a frozen pizza, you need a big freezer and to buy in bulk to start to spread it all out over a lot of meals 

Especially if you then try and cut out bread, rice, pasta and potatoes too

Trying to replace a sandwich with yoghurt and fruit for example, it takes more effort and costs more money if you go for the half decent 0% fat yoghurt, which I have to do to move away from it feeling like a punishment, I'm currently yoghurt, bananas, museli for lunch 5 times a week and it's a slog, the alternative would be a cheese sandwich or cheese on toast, it's half the price 

The US I've seen recently some good 10 minute short docs on what they call food deserts, shocking stuff, basically supermarkets are not interested in putting stores in poor areas leaving poor people, most of whom can't drive, to only shop in basically corner shops, as a result their diet is shit 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Currently eatingy (egg white) omelette doused in Cholula hot sauce. It works but I'd much much prefer some brown sauce. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Currently eatingy (egg white) omelette doused in Cholula hot sauce. It works but I'd much much prefer some brown sauce. 

That was my go to when I lost 3 stone 

Lunch was scrambled egg or pre cooked chicken breasts covered in hot sauce 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That was my go to when I lost 3 stone 

Lunch was scrambled egg or pre cooked chicken breasts covered in hot sauce 

Yeah, I usually have scrambled eggs every morning but find doing them without the yokes just doesn't work right for me. An omelette packed with spinach, mushrooms, peppers and cherry tomatoes sets me up well for the day. 

Chicken or white fish later in the day. Drinking alcohol free beer also is a massive help (now I've found a decent brand). 

Congrats on losing 3 stone, great work! 

• Thanks 1

I did the 3 stone quite quick tbh, somewhere between 6 months and a year, went from 14.5 to 11.5

Took me 3 and a half years to go from 11.5 to 11...did it last week, then watched England vs Scotland had a bad weekend and went back up to 11.5

Im not meant to be that low, just got to try and maintain somewhere between 11 and 12 and ill be happy

Â