Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

I just eat 20% below maintenance and I've been losing steadily, with barely any exercise. Don't think you need to do anything too drastic. 1-2 pounds a week is the healthy range of weight to lose, any faster and it's probably more harmful than it is good.

I think an easy cheat sheet beyond exercising is going vegan. You can eat to your heart's content and still be below maintenance purely because vegan meals are typically less calorically dense. Stick to whole foods and you're laughing really. Only downside is all the cooking :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm a vegan fatty very upset about how much easier it's become to buy vegan junk food over the last few years.

It's a double edged sword isn't it? I can now go to Burger King and get an Impossible Whopper, and the 700 calories that comes with. 

Good thing vegan cheese still tastes like crap, otherwise there'd be a lot more pizza in my diet.

34 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I just eat 20% below maintenance and I've been losing steadily, with barely any exercise. Don't think you need to do anything too drastic. 1-2 pounds a week is the healthy range of weight to lose, any faster and it's probably more harmful than it is good.

I think an easy cheat sheet beyond exercising is going vegan. You can eat to your heart's content and still be below maintenance purely because vegan meals are typically less calorically dense. Stick to whole foods and you're laughing really. Only downside is all the cooking :lol:

Yeah, 1 to 2 pounds a week is ideal and should help against rebound. That's usually about 500 below maintenance. 

I've mistimed my cut and only have 8 weeks not 12 to 16 so going a tad more brutal and it's not fun. 

• Like 1

After 4 weeks of me piggy backing on my wife’s Slimming World diet I’m a whisker above 1 stone off.

Clothes now starting to feel slightly too big. Such a nice feeling. 

Hopefully I can keep the momentum going. Ideally I’d love to lose 3 stone by the end of the year.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

I'm roughly hitting around 1800cals a day and it's nothing too difficult. 10cal jellies (vegan approved also!) help with my sweet cravings. Only annoying thing is we're getting a new kitchen fitted, so can't cook!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having weighed myself today I'd lost 7lbs in 4 weeks which I was happy with. 

Really didn't need my neighbour shouting over the fence to take a doughnut or two as it would be rude not too.

They'd got them from some place in Shrewsbury and I've never seen doughnuts so big or with so much stuff on top. Must have been over a 1000 calories each. 

Mixed-Pack-e1622797095229.jpg

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Really didn't need my neighbour shouting over the fence to take a doughnut or two as it would be rude not too.

They'd got them from some place in Shrewsbury and I've never seen doughnuts so big or with so much stuff on top. Must have been over a 1000 calories each. 

Once you start counting calories you start to realize how ridiculous some of the foods we eat are. 1000 calories for a donut you finish in like 3 bites and doesn't satiate beyond maybe a sweet tooth. And it's like that across the board. It's no wonder people get overweight really easy on a Western diet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Once you start counting calories you start to realize how ridiculous some of the foods we eat are. 1000 calories for a donut you finish in like 3 bites and doesn't satiate beyond maybe a sweet tooth. And it's like that across the board. It's no wonder people get overweight really easy on a Western diet.

Completely, although I'd be surprised if you could eat that doughnut in 3 bites as it was about the size of my hand. 

The biggest one for me is family size bags of crisps. Could easily eat a whole one by myself and still be hungry, they're about 650 calories each usually. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Planet Doughnut. They have expanded greatly over the last couple of years and now have a few other stores in neighbouring towns etc. Think they even do delivery possibly? Very, very good quality and as you say good size doughnuts.  We always grab a box when visiting Telford shopping centre or Shrewsbury.

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Planet Doughnut. They have expanded greatly over the last couple of years and now have a few other stores in neighbouring towns etc. Think they even do delivery possibly? Very, very good quality and as you say good size doughnuts.  We always grab a box when visiting Telford shopping centre or Shrewsbury.

Yeah, that's the one. Very tasty and huge but not good for weight loss. 

Was a struggle having one bite and ditching the rest. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah, that's the one. Very tasty and huge but not good for weight loss. 

Was a struggle having one bite and ditching the rest. 

keep going mate. I can’t talk though and reading your earlier post re crisps is exactly me. I’m about 14 stone,, size 38 waste and just don’t have the will power after a long slog at work.  

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

keep going mate. I can’t talk though and reading your earlier post re crisps is exactly me. I’m about 14 stone,, size 38 waste and just don’t have the will power after a long slog at work.  

Cheers bud. To be honest one of the most difficult things is the wife isn't really dieting. She'll often say let's get a bottle of wine or something like that. She didn't want the doughnuts going in the bin. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2021 at 19:22, Keyblade said:

I think this is the biggest problem. As in people just not realising what calories are and what they're in. And I include myself in that, because I used to be utterly clueless. I was educated to Degree level but thought I could go to the gym for 6 weeks and I'd be fitness model. I had no clue how hard it was.

Foods that people think are healthy are healthy, but that doesn't mean they're low calorie. My sister is trying to lose weight and tells me she's been eating avocado on toast for breakfast, pasta salads from the shop for lunch, nuts as a snack etc. but no calorie counting.

I told her to use a calorie counting app for all that and she'd be shocked at how calorific they are (spoiler: she was)

People think "oh this is healthy" so they can eat as much as they like. It doesn't work like that

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this is the biggest problem. As in people just not realising what calories are and what they're in. And I include myself in that, because I used to be utterly clueless. I was educated to Degree level but thought I could go to the gym for 6 weeks and I'd be fitness model. I had no clue how hard it was.

Foods that people think are healthy are healthy, but that doesn't mean they're low calorie. My sister is trying to lose weight and tells me she's been eating avocado on toast for breakfast, pasta salads from the shop for lunch, nuts as a snack etc. but no calorie counting.

I told her to use a calorie counting app for all that and she'd be shocked at how calorific they are (spoiler: she was)

People think "oh this is healthy" so they can eat as much as they like. It doesn't work like that

Yeah I fell into this trap before and would shovel handfuls of Almonds into my mouth at a time or go crazy for avocado or think it's just a splash of olive oil that's fine. 

The biggest shock for me though was tortilla wraps. I'd make a 'healthy chicken wraps dinner', thinking I'm clever by going light on cheese and swapping sour cream for Yoghurt (still high calories) and have 4 or 5 wraps. Not realising they were 100-150 calories each as thinking there's nothing to them. 

• Like 1

One of the best pieces of advice I saw was that you can’t exercise away a bad diet. 
I tried it in the past, eating crap but thinking runs and jogs would help me lost weight, no chance.

Ive been losing weight steadily for about 7 weeks now. Cutting out the take aways (just 1 a week) and beer (1-2 a week) and just walking the dog for 20 minutes each night. I’m down about 1st 4lbs so far. It’s coming off 1-2 pounds each week which I’m more than happy with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

One of the best pieces of advice I saw was that you can’t exercise away a bad diet. 
I tried it in the past, eating crap but thinking runs and jogs would help me lost weight, no chance.

Ive been losing weight steadily for about 7 weeks now. Cutting out the take aways (just 1 a week) and beer (1-2 a week) and just walking the dog for 20 minutes each night. I’m down about 1st 4lbs so far. It’s coming off 1-2 pounds each week which I’m more than happy with. 

Losing 1st 4lbs in 7 weeks is great going. That's 18lbs so about 2.5/3lbs a week. 

Was going to suggest carrying the dog on the walks if you wanted to up the intensity but don't think you need it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Losing 1st 4lbs in 7 weeks is great going. That's 18lbs so about 2.5/3lbs a week. 

Was going to suggest carrying the dog on the walks if you wanted to up the intensity but don't think you need it. 

My missus is smashing it, she’s lost over a stone and a half, just from eating better. Pretty much no exercise.

I’ve gone from 16st 12oz to 15st 8oz since 10th June.

The first week was about 5lb then a few about 2.5, then a few about 1.5. 
I’ll be chuffed if I can maintain 1.5lb a week loss over the next couple of months.

Plan is to get sub 14st by the end of the year. 

3 hours ago, mrchnry said:

I find myfitnesspal is fantastic for calorie counting. I lost 2 stone in 5 months by mostly just calorie counting everything. Never went hungry either, just ate smarter. 

This is the app I'm using and works well. The barcode scanner is very useful. 

Not overly convinced on the calories burnt during exercise bit is correct though. 

Â