Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

I think we should go for it,

We'r not finishing in the top 4 or bottom 4 so FA Winners sounds good to me. 

7 days rest till the game so strongest 11 as i guess they will be a weakened 11 given they are playing Monday night in Southampton 

• Like 2

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Hause - Taylor

Hourihane - Nakamba

Elmo - Ramsey - Trezeguet

Davis

If Barkley is fit, i would have him on the bench and bring him on for 30 mins at the end to build some fitness.

I would also consider having someone like Barry on the bench. (or 1 x youth player - whoever)

• Like 1

I'm swaying massively from 'nobody cares, it's pointless, forget it, effort to get knocked out in the semis' 

To

'we won't win the title, we have a decent rest between games, winning breeds winning, cup final would be great, cup win would be magnificent' 

But getting injuries and suspensions would affect how far we go up the table and could be the difference between a European spot and not, and then whether we hold onto Jack or not.

Conversely, I remember MON playing the kids in a Europa League game, losing and we then kept on losing in the league and missed out on top 4.

Maybe something in between is right. Strong team with some rotations for rest and avoiding suspensions.

I think Liverpool will play a stronger team than people are predicting and will be favorites to beat us, but we still should be giving it a go, this year more than any other in a long time we've shown we can compete with the better teams so in theory should be more confident than we've been for a long time that we can go all the way in this competition.

You've got to try and win the trophy we have the most realisitic chance of winning, especially whilst we have a good team playing well, not saying we won't have one next season but can't take it for granted, so have to make the most of this one while we can, what a waste it would be to throw this competition away for the sake of finishing a few places higher in the league, which wouldn't even be guaranteed anyway, whereas winnning the FA Cup would be our biggest honour since winning the European Cup and isn't all that unrealistic.

I'd take finishing seventeen and winning the FA Cup over finishing second in the league.

Edited by useless

Don't see Liverpool playing a strong team at all.

This is what they put out at Wolves two years back in this round:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46718633

Stronger than I thought but still had Camacho, Hoever (who's now actually at Wolves) and Curtis Jones all starting.

They're playing Southampton on Monday aswell so will have less time than us to prepare. Given they're barely got any CBs fit I can't see them starting Fabiano and think all 3 of their strikers will be on bench or rested like the Wolves one. Mane is the key one we don't want playing.

As for us most unpredictable team selection of the season for a major game. Think Ollie needs a rest and I'd also have McGinn and Jack on the bench as we really need both for the Spurs game and I presume both would be out if they get booked.

Would go with:

Heaton

Cash                   Konsa             Mings       Targett

Luiz         Nakamba

Traore              Barkley          AEG

Davis

Enough rotation and enough regular picks plus the wide players are in good form so I'd be confident with that selection. I assume though from DS comments Barkley won't make this game either so would give Ramsey a start in that case.

• Like 1

I think United being joint top will put the pressure on Liverpool to focus on the league, so suspect they'll field a weakened side here. 

We're not going to win the league, realistically won't finish any higher than sixth at best, we're out of the league cup already so may as well go for it in the FA cup.

• Like 3

Its strategic to play some of the bench warmers for this in case they are called upon again if a regular starter is out injured, sick or suspended.  Get Heaton in there.  Rest the fullbacks, Jack, SJM, Ollie, Luiz.

We know Deano likes to take the cups fairly seriously. Though we were pretty bleak in crashing out at Fulham this stage last season. Maybe our league form and genuine chance to do something special might take priority now with a chance to rest a few with the ridiculous schedule we have in January.

On the flip side, if we could come out of this game Friday night without injury, suspension, and another home win against Plop it would do wonders for the sides confidence going into the league fixtures.

we need to give some of the other players a game as well. 

Heaton,

Elmo, Hause Konsa , Taylor, 

Nakamba

Traore Ramsay Hourihane McGinn

Davis

Something like that. Liverpool will play kids I guess. Lucky for us they have the monday night fixture. If Trezeguet is fit, play him instead of McGinn

Edited by Rodders

I would rather play some of the kids than benchwarmers who we expect to be off next year. 

Maybe a chance to mix in Kessler, Philogene-Bidace (might help us keep him away from those nasty Germans!), Ramsey, Chukwuemeka and Davis with Barrie on the bench.  I would start Heaton or Steer - depending on which one we intend to keep!

But I'd like to see them play alongside proper first XI players, including Grealish and SJM (both who want to play every game as SJM said the other night), so they can see what they need to aspire to achieve and I also don't believe making 11 changes gives anyone a fair shot as they are just being thrown together with no experience or idea of shape etc..

------------- Heaton/Steer --------------------

Kessler -- Konsa -- Hause -- Targett

------- Chukwuemeka --- SJM ----------

Philogene-Bidace -- Ramsey -- Jack

---------------------- Davis -----------------------

I think that would be really exciting to see.  Bring on another 7-2!!

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 2

Really difficult one to decide how to approach this one. We will have had 7 days rest by the time this comes around so no problems in that respect, but then 3 tough matches in 7 days is slightly concerning in respect of players fatigue. The City rearranged game has made the selection for this more difficult but Liverpool playing on Monday evening certainly should help our chances so pros and cons. In an ideal world I would like to rest our current spine (Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Watkins) but I think that if we do that we will struggle to beat whichever Liverpool team they put out. Therefore I would go with something like this; 

Heaton

Elmo/Fred    Konsa    Mings      Targett

Ramsey     Hourihane

Barkley

Traore              Davis            Grealish 

If Barkley isn't ready yet then Luiz/Nakamba in with Ramsey further forward.  

Winning breeds confidence, and I think that we have a team that can beat anyone on our day so we shouldn't just write this competition off. We are also a young side and these are all very fit athletes so will all be wanting to play in every game. 

Hopefully we have enough to win, and if we're in a good position we can bring off the likes of Jack after an hour.

UTV 

• Like 1