Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

On 06/01/2021 at 16:40, cb_82 said:

Totally agree, Villa fans saying that the cup can wait or would rather finish 5th/6th - We have won nothing since 96 and haven't won the FA Cup since 1957!!!!!!!!!

I just cant get my head round it, give me 12th place and an FA Cup win anyway, you still get Europe but you win something and players on our books get to experience that winning feeling and are probably less likely to go off elsewhere quitehite yet

1996 when we last won a trophy we were 4th in the league, league cup winners and semis of the FA Cup & we played a near full strength team throughout pretty much all of that and our squad was limited - What's changed?

12th is quite different from 17th which is what the option was....but even 12th & FA Cup winners is fanciful.

Your hopes are likely to be dashed....only Arsenal 2019/20 finishing 8th was the only team in 20 years to win the FA Cup outside the top 6 teams finish in the Premier League......Portsmouth and Wigan was the only exeptional longshots, outside the premier league

The point being made is.......unless you are in the top 6 in the league, its most unlikely in the modern era to go on and win the FA cup.

The League is the place to make your mark and cement your status......the cherry on the cake comes later........judging by sequential patterns of Course, Luck can change that, as we all know.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, John said:

Liverpool come to Villa Park on Friday evening, following a defeat at Southampton and draws against Newcastle and WBA. Two points from three games, has seen them become second favourites to regain the title and has left us 7 points behind them, with two games in hand. For once then, our visitors will not come into this game brimming with confidence. They will want to put a stop to what has been for them, a poor set of results and to try to get some degree of revenge for the humiliating defeat they suffered on their last visit to Villa Park. We will see how much they want both and the priority that they will be giving to this competition when they hand in their team sheet.

We last met Liverpool in the FA Cup in 2015 at Wembley. Villa denied Stevie G a last FA Cup final appearance for the Reds, with a superb 2-1 semi-final victory on that day, much to the chagrin of pundits and Liverpool fans alike. The FA have made a habit of drawing our two balls out of the bag together over the years. This was particularly the case from 1985 to 1996, when we met on four occasions. This will be the 9th time these two clubs, that have both lifted the trophy seven times, have faced each other.  We have won 2 and have lost 6, of the FA Cup ties that have been played between the two clubs (the first in 1897 and the last in 2015).

Given we have 26 points from our first 15 games of the season, it could be argued that we could have a shot at winning this trophy for the first time since 1957, without being unduly concerned by the impact that might have on our league placing. We would qualify for Europe by winning this trophy, so unless the title or a top four finish, are still on in a couple of months, why not? It would certainly be nice to have Peter McParland, the last surviving member of our 1957 FA Cup winning side, at Wembley in May to see us lift the trophy for an 8th time (it has been far too long a wait to see us win this again, for Peter and for us).

Whatever team our visitors choose to put out for this game, we have already demonstrated to them and to others, that we can beat anyone this season. Could this be the season, when unlike in 2000 and 2015 (when we fell at the last hurdle), we lift this trophy in style at Wembley once again? Six teams will stand in our way of doing that. For now, just win this one for us Villa!  :flag:

You have the same thoughts as me. I was brought up in an era when the FA Cup meant something and when I was travelling on the M1 to grounds like Orient and I saw other teams supporters travelling to Villa Park or Hillsborough for an FA Cup semi-final I was jealous. Times are different but the FA Cup should mean something. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John said:

Liverpool come to Villa Park on Friday evening, following a defeat at Southampton and draws against Newcastle and WBA. Two points from three games, has seen them become second favourites to regain the title and has left us 7 points behind them, with two games in hand. For once then, our visitors will not come into this game brimming with confidence. They will want to put a stop to what has been for them, a poor set of results and to try to get some degree of revenge for the humiliating defeat they suffered on their last visit to Villa Park. We will see how much they want both and the priority that they will be giving to this competition when they hand in their team sheet.

We last met Liverpool in the FA Cup in 2015 at Wembley. Villa denied Stevie G a last FA Cup final appearance for the Reds, with a superb 2-1 semi-final victory on that day, much to the chagrin of pundits and Liverpool fans alike. The FA have made a habit of drawing our two balls out of the bag together over the years. This was particularly the case from 1985 to 1996, when we met on four occasions. This will be the 9th time these two clubs, that have both lifted the trophy seven times, have faced each other.  We have won 2 and have lost 6, of the FA Cup ties that have been played between the two clubs (the first in 1897 and the last in 2015).

Given we have 26 points from our first 15 games of the season, it could be argued that we could have a shot at winning this trophy for the first time since 1957, without being unduly concerned by the impact that might have on our league placing. We would qualify for Europe by winning this trophy, so unless the title or a top four finish, are still on in a couple of months, why not? It would certainly be nice to have Peter McParland, the last surviving member of our 1957 FA Cup winning side, at Wembley in May to see us lift the trophy for an 8th time (it has been far too long a wait to see us win this again, for Peter and for us).

Whatever team our visitors choose to put out for this game, we have already demonstrated to them and to others, that we can beat anyone this season. Could this be the season, when unlike in 2000 and 2015 (when we fell at the last hurdle), we lift this trophy in style at Wembley once again? Six teams will stand in our way of doing that. For now, just win this one for us Villa!  :flag:

I agree with you John, we can beat anyone, but we have equally demonstrated that we can be beaten by teams not quite as good as us too.( matter of opinion of course as who is better or worse than us)

It will be an interesting encounter.....for me I shall be looking at how Liverpool, try to stop us, and how we counter that, because, I think that will be their main criticism of them selves after their heavy defeat to us.

If they deny us time and space, we could struggle, if they don't do that sufficiently, we could be handing out another hefty defeat to them.

UTV

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John said:

A hero to a 12-year-old me.

• Like 3

Considering our form against the better teams this season, I hope he puts out a strong team . No chance we will get dragged into a relegation battle , and doubtful we will end up top 6 , so I’d love us to concentrate on the cup . IF we got to a final this season , we’d have a much stronger chance than in recent seasons . Plus it’s a place in Europe, but forget that, I’m just desperate for us to win a proper trophy . 

For me mcginn luiz grealish and watkins shouldnt play.

Maybe have watkins on bench but rest the others. 

Good opportunity to play Heaton, guilbert taylor engels, nakamba, conor, davis. Mix in some youngsters like barry into the squad too

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking it’s five subs in the FA Cup? Should make for an interesting chess match between Smith and Klopp. I like the approach we’ve used in the League Cup a few times where our big guns are given the first 60 or last 30. That shouldn’t exhaust anyone. Also feels better for squad cohesion and morale than totally separate cup and league teams.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

For me mcginn luiz grealish and watkins shouldnt play.

Maybe have watkins on bench but rest the others. 

Good opportunity to play Heaton, guilbert taylor engels, nakamba, conor, davis. Mix in some youngsters like barry into the squad too

totally agree massive game on tuesday, we need them all fresh.

spurs have an easy cup tie...they could play their kids and win comfortably

39 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

totally agree massive game on tuesday, we need them all fresh.

spurs have an easy cup tie...they could play their kids and win comfortably

We play Spurs Wednesday so are we saying that they wont be fresh 5 days later? I agree in making 2-3 changes especially to give Heatton, Davis and Hause starts but i can see Smith doing 8-9

19 hours ago, TRO said:

12th is quite different from 17th which is what the option was....but even 12th & FA Cup winners is fanciful.

Your hopes are likely to be dashed....only Arsenal 2109/20 finishing 8th was the only team in 20 years to win the FA Cup outside the top 6 teams finish in the Premier League......Portsmouth and Wigan was the only exeptional longshots, outside the premier league

The point being made is.......unless you are in the top 6 in the league, its most unlikely in the modern era to go on and win the FA cup.

The League is the place to make your mark and cement your status......the cherry on the cake comes later........judging by sequential patterns of Course, Luck can change that, as we all know.

Sorry maybe been missed as was in a previous post but my particular passion on all of this is that with the congestion the big 6 face this year there will be a real temptation from them to rest players in the FA cup even more than ever especially as the PL and CL races hot up and so it feels with us being pretty safe already this is the year to have a real go