Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

9 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think Watkins is ok at this level, it’s his first season in the prem after all. I do think we need another striker though. Someone more clinical. I just don’t see Davis as the game changer. 

Watkins is a good player. So are Mings and Konsa. But we still need both a striker and a CB. And it's also pretty obvious we need a quality right winger. That's three big signings we need to make, but I doubt we'll see much traction until the summer. 

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Watkins is a good player. So are Mings and Konsa. But we still need both a striker and a CB. And it's also pretty obvious we need a quality right winger. That's three big signings we need to make, but I doubt we'll see much traction until the summer. 

At this moment I cant understand the logic for a right winger, traore, aeg and trez can all play there. Surely other positions a priority.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

At this moment I cant understand the logic for a right winger, traore, aeg and trez can all play there. Surely other positions a priority.

Well the 'logic' is that neither of those three are any good. Trez is the best by far in terms of balancing us and defensive work. AEG seems to get goals, but little else. Traore is a just a **** of a RW. 

We need a proper quality right winger who can go on the outside, find Watkins, finish well and work home. Ideally someone with pace. We don't have it. 

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

He allows Davis to go out and prove himself if you have him on a 6 month deal, that’s the best thing I have to say about a deal for someone like him.

Six months from now we would know a lot more about Davis and Wes. Davis to go out on a loan and Wesley to fully recover.

At the moment we don’t know if we need one, two or none strikers in before next season. But we need a short term solution while we find out.

As we probably have limited funds, I would like us to spend it on players in positions where we’re already know we need to strengthen. As we’re not desperate we can bring in players that’s 50/50 short term and long term. They don’t have to walk straight into our starting lineup and perform from day 1.

We’re in an excellent position for that right now. We should be an attractive destination for talented playere from the Championship and we probably don’t want to bring in too many experienced players at the same time.

From memory we have been fairly poorly served by the January transfer window in the past. I am struggling to think of too many positive signings. I can only really think of Mings, Carew and maybe Young who made a positive impression and in the case of Young he was pretty poor until the following season. 

This year we are not in desperate need of anybody in my view. We are better off saving the money and using it more wisely in the summer. I think this is also what we will do unless someone too good to be true is a possibility.

Anybody else think of any really good January signings?

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well the 'logic' is that neither of those three are any good. Trez is the best by far in terms of balancing us and defensive work. AEG seems to get goals, but little else. Traore is a just a **** of a RW. 

We need a proper quality right winger who can go on the outside, find Watkins, finish well and work home. Ideally someone with pace. We don't have it. 

Agree. This is the side we get exposed time and time again. Trez helps out with the defending but his finishing is lacking, Traore can finish but leaves poor Cash run ragged. They’re fine for the squad, but we need a complete package of a player to be a regular starter. I really don’t think this will be window to do it. Other priorities are another striker and cover/competition for Targett.

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

From memory we have been fairly poorly served by the January transfer window in the past. I am struggling to think of too many positive signings. I can only really think of Mings, Carew and maybe Young who made a positive impression and in the case of Young he was pretty poor until the following season. 

This year we are not in desperate need of anybody in my view. We are better off saving the money and using it more wisely in the summer. I think this is also what we will do unless someone too good to be true is a possibility.

Anybody else think of any really good January signings?

Merson?

This will be a quiet transfer window, for all clubs. Blockbuster signings won’t be common. Uncertainty over match day income and the impact of the pandemic (not to mention caution over further financial collapse as in France) will lead to clubs trying to reduce staff overheads: deadwood and youngsters will be shipped out: either Fred will go on loan or Elmo will move to the Middle East for a pay day; depending on Wesley’s fitness, Davis might go out on loan; expect Lansbury to be paid off on 1 February. 

DS perhaps feels he has a good spirit in the team and would only be willing to compromise it if a player of Barkley’s quality became available. 

Watching last night made we realise that need a couple of players now (wide forward and striker) and in the summer, several more additions to improve our first eleven/bench.  

Last night, we just didn’t have the options to change things. We need some pace.

Tin hat time but someone like this Rashica fella would have been ideal off the bench, in addition to a useful centre forward.  We could have shifted Watkins to the right at this point.  Davis need to play a full season in the Championship to really know if he’s worth retaining. 

I really don’t know who we can realistically get but we need a couple of players in January and that’s the two positions I’d be looking to strengthen.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He was signed before transfer windows were introduced. My friend got a shirt with Merson on the back for Christmas that year so I'm sure it was before Jan he was signed.

Transfermarkt lists him as Jan. 1. so you may be right that he was signed a month earlier, but transferred January. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We need a quality winger. While AEG has scored 5 goals, both scrappy and excellent, he just isn't consistent or good enough for where we want to be. He's shown he can come in and be a rotation option, but that's it. 

Traore just isn't a winger. Period. Let him rotate with Barkley and Ramsey and get a new winger in.

Looking at the work rate of both these players defensively yesterday made me miss Trez a lot. And it's not like they did a whole lot offensively either. 

Well they kinda did. One scored away at old Trafford which we haven’t been able to say that many times in recent times.

Watkins is a very good player but we need two good players for every position. We need a squad of very good players if we want to ensure we are competitive at the right end of the league, competing in competitions.

I don’t want a cup run because we don’t have the squad to compete for top 6 and sustain a competitive cup run. That’s wrong but with only really 15-16 decent first team players it’s not enough.

Its going to take at least two seasons more before we have the FFP capability to recruit the type of player we need. It stinks.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

If you think standing in the box for a tap in equates to doing a whole lot offensively. Fair play. 

I don't. 

Apart from losing your marker and finding space and then finishing under pressure you're correct it's not a lot.

• Like 2

We have used the least number of players in the league this season. It's clear Deano doesn't trust many of his options off the bench so surely they've already got some plans in the works.

With Kalinic leaving, we currently have space for one player. I would try and shift Guilbert and Hourihane, even if it's just a loan until the end of the season. 

Costa was reportedly on £270k a week at Atletico...could we really afford him, even if it was a deal until the end of the season?

It may be harsh on AEG/Traore and even Trez, but I think we need a more incisive winger on the right than what we currently have available. I would use the spot freed by Kalinic for this. Play Traore more centrally or up front when needed and use AEG/Trez as backup wingers.

Then, send Hourihane away to a round of applause for his service and bring in another CM who can challenge and rotate with Barkley/McGinn.

Not sure with Guilbert's squad spot...if we can find a solid defensive option then that could be the way to go. Similarly, someone up front could work.

Let's see...it's been years since a January window could effectively influence whether we finish top or bottom half of the top-flight!

• Like 1

Tough one to put across to people really.

I don't think anyone is saying that our first eleven is not good enough. Rather that they could be improved on, and the starting eleven players moved to the bench to become the impact players that we are missing.

Currently a top six side would be interested in Martinez, Konsa, Cash, McGinn, Luiz, Grealish and possibly Mings/Watkins.

We need a full eleven that are that good.

It's really harsh, but if we want to be pushing for Europe that's where we need to be at. It's not all going to happen in one season or one window, though the progress we have made this season is exceptional.

For me we could do with a winger and/or a striker to see us through to the end of the season. A striker to compete with Watkins is probably the priority right now, with Wesley not going to be fully fit for a few months.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, a-k said:

We have used the least number of players in the league this season. It's clear Deano doesn't trust many of his options off the bench so surely they've already got some plans in the works.

With Kalinic leaving, we currently have space for one player. I would try and shift Guilbert and Hourihane, even if it's just a loan until the end of the season. 

Costa was reportedly on £270k a week at Atletico...could we really afford him, even if it was a deal until the end of the season?

It may be harsh on AEG/Traore and even Trez, but I think we need a more incisive winger on the right than what we currently have available. I would use the spot freed by Kalinic for this. Play Traore more centrally or up front when needed and use AEG/Trez as backup wingers.

Then, send Hourihane away to a round of applause for his service and bring in another CM who can challenge and rotate with Barkley/McGinn.

Not sure with Guilbert's squad spot...if we can find a solid defensive option then that could be the way to go. Similarly, someone up front could work.

Let's see...it's been years since a January window could effectively influence whether we finish top or bottom half of the top-flight!

Agree with most of that but for me Nakamba would be the midfielder to make way unless Hourihane wants out. Hourihane has much more quality than Nakamaba and will be of use this season at some point.

The Elmo/Guilbert scenario needs sorting. I personally would like to keep hold of Guilbert and use him as our backup right back; Elmo to stay with the squad until the end of his contract.