Match Thread: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Trez does 2 things very well. He never, ever, ever stops, and he has an uncannily good instinct at the back stick. Everything else is weak, but he's so useful for those 2 attributes.

He also defends.

We have gone into our shells a bit after the goal which has allowed Arsenal not to worry so much about the counter.

Would like to see Barclay run with the ball more as it frees up space!

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

He blatantly doesn't watch football when not being paid to talk about it

That's the case with far too many of them, even some of the bigger names (souness for example) 

I can never tell if Souness is a really bad pundit or he’s taking the piss. Could be Sacha Baron Cohen’s latest creation.

• Like 1

Solid defending for the most part, Targett got caught out not tracking back when Lacazette missed his header. Trez does so much for the team. I've counted 3 or 4 important clearances in the box.

Very bitter about the VAR decision, but the goal was so well taken. We can score more goals.

Emi made a crucial block from a cross also.

McGinn and Luiz far more combative and dynamic.

Watkins started slow, but his hold up play has been very good at times.

Barkley and Jack linking well as ever.

Townsend is an awful pundit, always has been. I could barely listen to any ITV games when he was on it he might as well be smashing a soundboard full of generic and completely insight-less footballing quips with his fist.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gompedyret said:

Can anyone remind me, why wouldn't Andy Townsend have anything nice to say about Aston Villa?

Ive never heard him say anything bad about us. They made a comment how no one has ever been relegated after 4 wins at the start of a season. I didnt take it as a slight on us, just a random stat. He’s also said we look a much better side more equipped for the PL this season which is true.

Anyway, good half. Shame about McGinns goal but its the first shite call we’ve had this season I think. Theyve generally gone our way for a while so whatever

Work so hard to win the ball then gave it away far to many times with a poor touch/decision. 

Also, what are they playing Arteta for. Arsenal can just hire Dyche and get the same brand of football for far cheaper. 

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Townsend is an awful pundit, always has been. I could barely listen to any ITV games when he was on it he might as well be smashing a soundboard full of generic and completely insight-less footballing quips with his fist.

"I think one of these teams could win this" -Andy Townsend (football pundit and philosopher)

• Haha 1

Swedish pundit (and excellent journalist) Erik Niva is giving Dean Smith some cred while acknowledging that he's getting stick in some media because his name is Dean Smith and that he came from the lower divisions.

• Like 1

This game is for the taking...time to be bold

Be methodical and better with the ball.

Luiz then is a prime example...lovely long ball to him...space to bring it down and he gives it away.

Watkins needs support round him. Hate seeing him bring 60 yard out of the sky passes with no support.

Few improvements and we can wrap this up