Match Thread: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, blunther said:

Yup, pundits and referees are a joke. When the rest of the game has moved on in terms of professionalism, both of these are stuck in the 80s

Referees have been very poor for a long time. The powers that be seem to think that adding another level of referees in the form of VAR will solve that problem. The reality is that it’s made it worse. I don’t know how it works abroad, but with the total idiots that run the game here have unsurprisingly messed it up big time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Referees have been very poor for a long time. The powers that be seem to think that adding another level of referees in the form of VAR will solve that problem. The reality is that it’s made it worse. I don’t know how it works abroad, but with the total idiots that run the game here have unsurprisingly messed it up big time. 

Abroad they are using their eyes and brains to process the information. Here it's totally random.

9 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Can anyone remind me, why wouldn't Andy Townsend have anything nice to say about Aston Villa?

Doug must have nicked his jockstrap, or something

I don't fault the ref at all for the disallowed goal. He enforced the rules. There is no caveat "If the player is in eyeline (and therefore clearly interfering), let them off if you think it was such a good shot the keeper couldn't save it". 

• Like 1