Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

We ain’t scoring 4 to turn this around today

That Liverpool game was a freak result which helped with them missing Alison and Mane

Oh i don't believe we'll get anything from the game, but a better performance even seems beyond us right now.

I'd see a final score of 3-0 as an improvement from here, i just dont see that happening.

Expecting 5 or 6

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

It would be peak Villa to let Ward Prowse to get a free kick hatrick as well.

Well it is his birthday today and we are the club that keeps on giving

• Haha 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Southampton had the 3rd best away record last season and people are angry because this is a game they decided we SHOULD get points from. 

Yeah, but we should be at least trying to win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Not really. It would be crazy to think we aren't going to go through the season having some bad losses. We finished 17th last season. 

The aim for the season is to progress and improve on that, currently we are. 

If we losing like this continously and plummet down the league then maybe so but I think my expectations for the year are pretty realistic. 

Thats not to say that the performance is terrible today. But you can already see the smith out crowd gearing up again. People need to get a grip. 

I don't want Smith out. I want him to start managing the **** team. We have very capable players, it's the coaches' jobs to gel their unique abilities and the manager's job to deploy tactics that are tailored for the opposition and make logical sense.

We give the ball to Grealish, he gets crowded out, we lose possession. That's been the plan here and last week. If he sends us out set up the same way in the second half, I can honestly sympathize with people who have no patience for him.

Now, personally speaking, I'd said elsewhere that Smith had learned from last season, which ofc was his first in the Premier League and that comes with a huge learning curve. But it's like he's hit his head and forgot it all again - there is no evidence of a game plan out there. It's poor at best.

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Does it matter how it happened? It's 0-3 at home - again. Heads are down and we're playing like utter morons. We can't get excited about 4 wins a row and then shrug about 2 crushing home losses against teams we should be collecting points from. The win against Liverpool was a miracle and put a smile on all our faces - but this is unacceptable and they do not balance each other out. This looks just like pre-Restart. We're regressing. 

By your logic we’re flying high in the table and should be smiling. ‘Doesn’t matter how it happened.’

Just now, DCJonah said:

Maybe worth pointing out that this Southampton team lost 9-0 last year. 

Teams losing badly happens. Hell, we did it to the champions only a few weeks ago. 

Twice in row though, when you are hoping for a reaction, so it's fair to feel concerned. We struggle against teams who don't let us play. Simple as that.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Absolutely. What the **** is wrong with us? 

Probably years of disappointment and failed expectations. Understandable, I suppose, but completely counterproductive.

• Like 1

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Oh i don't believe we'll get anything from the game, but a better performance even seems beyond us right now.

I'd see a final score of 3-0 as an improvement from here, i just dont see that happening.

Expecting 5 or 6

I just can’t see anything positive today going forward, Watkins looks lost up there Trezeguet hasn’t even touched the ball since coming on has he 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

We all, myself included, have over rated Mings. He makes far far too many errors.

Even at his best, he tends to have at least a lapse of concentration in him per game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

But how quick we as a fan base are to question the manager and the players is kind of infuriating and hysterical. 

Not really. Not after you school the Champions and then can't even string a pass together 2 games after. Smith still has his faults, he is too attacking and this works against Liverpool but not against anyone else so far.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What all the goals have been set pieces I don't think that's the reason. 

They have been better than us in every position all over the pitch from the first whistle. 

they have tbf. they're a better team and always do us one.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

no it won't. we have had 3 clean sheets already this season. that's half our games so far.

I didn't trust them when the season started, and I still don't. We should've strengthened our defense more than just with Matty (who I think is our best defenseman).

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Southampton had the 3rd best away record last season and people are angry because this is a game they decided we SHOULD get points from. 

Agreed. This was always, ALWAYS, gonna be a tough game and a point would've been an amazing result. That freak result against Liverpool really skewed people's reality.

We are a work in progress so we can expect many more days like this, but we are building something. Its just gonna take time. And we must all accept that.

• Like 1