Poppy Watch 2020

NurembergVillan

Everyone in my secondary school had to wear a poppy from November 1st onward or face the pain of an after school detention for the first offence followed by a Saturday detention if caught out again. 

On the day itself we’d miss two periods for mass where they read the names of every single student who’d died during the wars. 

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Why the need to do it on your doorstep? It'll still be you being silent and reflecting if you did it in your own home (as I plan to) without the need to show all your neighbours you did it too?

I don’t see it as showing the neighbours how virtuous you are.  It’s normally a communal event (for those who want participate), and this is obviously the first year in a century when that’s not going to be the case.

The doorstep thing is just people trying to find a way to retain some element of that, for those who feel the need. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I don’t see it as showing the neighbours how virtuous you are.  It’s normally a communal event (for those who want participate), and this is obviously the first year in a century when that’s not going to be the case.

The doorstep thing is just people trying to find a way to retain some element of that, for those who feel the need. 

Until they start talking about those that didn't. It's what people do

• Like 2

Look if people want to stand on their doorstep in silent reflection **** go for it. Knock themselves out. I will be in my living room. None of that reflection differs due to the location. This doorstep thing, its basically people who have clip on flags attached to their car during world cups. I get it they are a better human. 

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s just a really odd thing to do. The need to be seen to be doing something was odd enough when it was clapping your hands and at least generating some community spirit. The need to be seen to be standing in silence before returning back into the house is bizarre. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I know what you mean mate, The parents of one of my sons friends still walk the other way in the street when they see me all down to a misunderstanding with a sweet stuck in my pocket at her birthday party

Sometimes all you are doing is peeling an orange in your trouser pocket and people take it the wrong way. Its political correctness gone mad. 

• Haha 1

This is quite a good article about Remembrance IMO:

. . . making the point that the increasing weirdness of the ways people mark the day is a function of the distance in time from the events they commemorate. Key paras:

'It seems as if, with each year that goes by, Remembrance Day gets more demonstrative and more detached from the events it was originally meant to commemorate. The day was inaugurated in 1919 to remember those who had died in the First World War; at that time, almost everyone would have known somebody who’d died in that terrible conflagration. So the idea of commemorating the fallen, and of giving those left behind a sense that they were not grieving alone, was both helpful and rather beautiful. But 1919 was a long time ago. The last British veteran of the trenches died in 2009, aged 111. And you’d need to be about 90 to have fought in the Second World War, so there are very few veterans left from that conflict either. When will the events we’re commemorating be too far in the past for “remembrance” to be a meaningful concept?

[...]

I don’t think the increasing hysteria of poppy season is a coincidence: the further we’ve got from VE Day, the less tied Remembrance Day has become to the events that it’s meant to remember, and the easier it’s been for other actors to hijack it for their own ends.'

Many of the examples in this thread are almost surrealist in how over-the-top they are, and while they're not how most people/companies/organisations remember, they're not exactly hard to find, and they get easier every year.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but Richmond have painted the world’s first poppy crossing. Beyond bizarre!

It’s not that bizarre when you consider that the building they are stood in front of is the poppy factory where for years, all the remembrance poppies were manufactured. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

It’s not that bizarre when you consider that the building they are stood in front of is the poppy factory where for years, all the remembrance poppies were manufactured. 

Thanks for the explanation, that's important context. Is it there permanently, or will it be lifted out of season?

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks for the explanation, that's important context. Is it there permanently, or will it be lifted out of season?

I know nothing about it other than recognising the location (due to living about a mile away). It looks relatively permanent to me though. Imagine it’ll fade and get redone when it’s too grubby. Exactly the kind of thing the locals will love in the Tory borough. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Twiiter quote said

I don’t think the increasing hysteria of poppy season is a coincidence: the further we’ve got from VE Day, the less tied Remembrance Day has become to the events that it’s meant to remember, and the easier it’s been for other actors to hijack it for their own ends.'

I think that is so far off the mark as to be ludicrous, really. I think he's got the wrong reason completely. Poppychristmas isn't for War 1 dead people. It's for all conflicts victims - Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan....are "meant to [be] remember[ed]".

The hype thing - sure, the "increasing hysteria" is real, but it's now't to do with time since War 1"allowing" people to hijack it - it's much more IMO to do with the same type of populism and nationalism that brought us the joys* of Brexit - it's not "allowed" by poppy day, any more than anything else "allowed" it. Perversely, people not recognising elements of patriotism are valid may be the main facilitators.

*not actual joys, obviously

Â