Poppy Watch 2020

NurembergVillan

On 21/10/2020 at 11:37, StefanAVFC said:

A word, much stronger than childish, comes to mind when I think of the real people who have hijacked the poppy and made it into their personal crusade against their political enemies tbh

A word much stronger and more removed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

This came up on our neighbourhood Facebook page. Obviously having a quiet 2 minutes like every other year isn’t enough, your neighbours need to be able to see just how patriotic you are.

Oddly, if that was where I live yes because it would mean I could escape the village between 10:30 and 11:30. The war memorial happens to be in the middle of the roundabout at the start of the village and the road closes at half past ten.

10 hours ago, Genie said:

This came up on our neighbourhood Facebook page. Obviously having a quiet 2 minutes like every other year isn’t enough, your neighbours need to be able to see just how patriotic you are.

AB58-F37-B-6116-48-DF-89-A5-9-BBEF2-D8-B

I'd support it in so much as if that's what people want to do then feel free.

I wouldn't support it in a "everybody has to do this otherwise you love Hitler" sort of way

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Should have a Christmas Tree Watch thread, with pics of words removed trees/decorations that are up too early.

This house on the Redditch road will be first. It'll currently be festooned with cobwebs and other "creepy" halloween decorations. By the end of next week, they'll have enough Christmas lights up to make the Griswold's jealous. They've been doing it for years.

vjY2tKG.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Should have a Christmas Tree Watch thread, with pics of words removed trees/decorations that are up too early.

I am hoping to move house if it wasnt the case you can bet that my wife would be intent in being one of them slack jawed yokels that like it to be christmas every day. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Genie said:

AB58-F37-B-6116-48-DF-89-A5-9-BBEF2-D8-B

FFS i can see that happening too

The old Jeffersons Stratford Rd Shirley used to get their tree on the roof in September. 

Before the kids came along we always used to holiday in cheap out of term September and the first thing we noticed when we got home was the Jeffersons Christmas Tree much to our horror being in full summer mode. 

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

FFS i can see that happening too

At least the little shit over the road won't be banging his bloody saucepan through it.  Every cloud eh!

On 21/10/2020 at 19:12, theboyangel said:

The BBC4 documentary The Secret History of Skinheads by Don Letts was fascinating as it was originally a very mixed race movement at the back end of the sixties up until the ‘right wing NF’ types adopted it during the punk explosion in the mid/late 70s

it wasn’t all punk either, just a small number of bands that attracted the NF and the stereotype stuck forever more.

sadly the doc is no longer on iPlayer 

Saying all that, I would have been around 5-6yrs old during the late 70s so don’t have any real recollection of the skinheads

My encounters with skins go back to the late 60s/early 70s. Don Letts says it was a mixed race tribe? Sure, they got on fine with the West Indian kids - they would, they were into reggae (this was years before punk and Oi!). Didn't stop them hating the Asians, and Paki-bashing was their favourite activity. And not just Asians, but white longhairs like me and my mates - we got set on time and time again, totally unprovoked. Fast forward to 1982, the week before my wedding, and a mate and I got jumped by 8 or 9 NF skins, breaking my front teeth and putting my mate in hospital. On a trivial level I always found the 'look' utterly hideous. Forgive me if I'm sceptical about the cuddly little Weetabix Representatives for Wellingborough. 

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My encounters with skins go back to the late 60s/early 70s. Don Letts says it was a mixed race tribe? Sure, they got on fine with the West Indian kids - they would, they were into reggae (this was years before punk and Oi!). Didn't stop them hating the Asians, and Paki-bashing was their favourite activity. And not just Asians, but white longhairs like me and my mates - we got set on time and time again, totally unprovoked. Fast forward to 1982, the week before my wedding, and a mate and I got jumped by 8 or 9 NF skins, breaking my front teeth and putting my mate in hospital. On a trivial level I always found the 'look' utterly hideous. Forgive me if I'm sceptical about the cuddly little Weetabix Representatives for Wellingborough. 

Sorry to hear that. I was only going off the doc on bbc4 so apologies 

Â