Poppy Watch 2020

NurembergVillan

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Not really. During WW1 a Football Battalion was formed that over 120 professional players joined, many more joined County Regiments and 'Pals' Battalions and football was suspended for the duration of the war. It was a total societal effort and the same thing happened 20 years later. 

I agree with the OP about the growing trend to focus on the symbology of remembrance for its own sake, with some people having a mawkish, almost ghoulish fetishization of the poppy. It's gross, and it detracts from what the thing is actually about: remembering and acknowledging the ungodly sacrifices made by our elders, for us. That's worth two minutes of a Sunday morning once a year.  

That's not why I'm saying it's strange. The reason I'm saying it's strange is that a modern multicultural democracy can't see the problem of mixing politics into sport. Especially a sport with fans and athletes from all around the world. To me that's a problem, and I would have thought people on here would think so too. 

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's not why I'm saying it's strange. The reason I'm saying it's strange is that a modern multicultural democracy can't see the problem of mixing politics into sport. Especially a sport with fans and athletes from all around the world. To me that's a problem, and I would have thought people on here would think so too. 

It’s not politics, it’s national remembrance, entirely separate from politics. That’s the point. 

Edit: I’m not sure what multiculturalism has to do with it either. It was the other team who were exclusively white - a major part of the overall beef. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s not politics, it’s national remembrance, entirely separate from politics. That’s the point. 

It should be, but it's kind of not. I pay my respects and remember those who sacrificed their lives for this country in the world wars.

I can see why people object when money goes towards soldiers that served in NI or the middle east, though. I remember those, only so we remember the mistakes we made, but pay no respect. 

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I would guess that a lot of those people would probably say that it wasn't mixing politics with sport and that poppy-wearing isn't a political act.

26 minutes ago, Awol said:

I think it's pretty obvious it is. I am sure you can ask some NI players what they think of it or players from many other nations. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think it's pretty obvious it is. I am sure you can ask some NI players what they think of it or players from many other nations. 

Some republican supporting players do have an issue with it, but thats them. On the whole its about remembrance. Nothing more, its not a celebration, its not 2 world wars and one world cup. Its miles from nationalism. Its remembrance and for some, gratitude. Never ever celebrating or gloating. Its not political, no one looks at it as a time we won. 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Okay. Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Those that are from NI and would care, wouldn't play for NI

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think that's those people from NI bringing politics into Remembrance Day, not politics butting into them via the poppy. 

It remembers ALL soldiers, unfortunately a tiny fraction were involved in tragedies in NI so that's their perogative, but it still doesn't make Remembrance Day a political thing because they feel that way. 

Edited by sidcow

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think that's those people from NI bringing politics into Remembrance Day, not politics butting into them via the poppy. 

It remembers ALL soldiers, unfortunately a tiny fraction were involved in tragedies in NI so that's their perogative, but it still doesn't make Remembrance Day a political thing because they feel that way. 

I think that point might itself be slightly coming from one side of a debate.

There could be some in NI that are also thinking of the Irish War of Independence.

It’s different things to different people, we shouldn’t really attempt to speak for why others think how they do. We might miss a detail or a nuance and just reinforce perceived injustices.

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's ultimately that the fact there are people that feels that way that shows it is a politically sensitive subject IMO. I just can't follow the logic that those who feel that way are the ones that make it political. 

All anybody ever means when they say something is 'not political' is that most people agree with them so they don't want to talk about it any more.

Which is fair enough, but it doesn't make something apolitical. Anything and everything is 'political' on some level.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

All anybody ever means when they say something is 'not political' is that most people agree with them so they don't want to talk about it any more.

Which is fair enough, but it doesn't make something apolitical. Anything and everything is 'political' on some level.

Who gets the captains armband is political but it should have no place in sport

Â