Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

Nervous for this one, just don't want the run to end here. Would rather drop points v southampton if we must. 

I trust us to play well, defend well and create chances, but still no guarantee we don't conced a silly pen or have someone get sent off in the first ten minutes. 

Let's go top for a night please, wouldn't that be nice. 

The way to counteract Leeds play is to slow the game down. Jack is an expert at that. They will want the game played at 100mph but we will need slow it all down from time to time. 

I think we will need a big game from Ollie. The best way to beat the press is to move the ball quickly (and sometimes long) so Ollie will need to make it stick. Hold it up and get Jack and Trez running at them. Leeds defense has looked beyond shaky so far this season so I'm sure there are goals in this one. 

Leeds will make some chances but I think we will make more. All about putting the ball in the net. 

I'm going to a solid 2-0 win. 

3 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

No you're right it doesn't but Smith did also state that Leeds are the fittest team in the league in the same press conference. I probably should have included that 😅

The reason I highlighted that other teams all had to put their best numbers up against them was to address the point that the game will already be cardio heavy and probably too much so to have enough left to run them ragged.

I guess we will see, but surely Smith will have idea in how to address this and our lads themselves have come on massively in the fitness area. We have alot of young lads who can run all day themselves and where other teams have had trouble with Leeds in terms of fitness, we may find ourself being able to cope. I think it's one of the reasons why we are where we are in the league because weve collected a good bunch of first eleven players who have extreme levels of cardio under there belt.

I do look at our players and wonder where there cap of fitness is now, I've not seen it yet this season so if Leeds can put a dent in them, then I spose Leeds are doing something right. Maybe at full strength I'd of give Leeds more of a shot, I just cant see them winning this game. I went onto leeds fan forum and some threat they are in the position we was in with Grealish in how they rely to much on Phillip's every game.

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I guess we will see, but surely Smith will have idea in how to address this and our lads themselves have come on massively in the fitness area.

Oh yeah I'm not disagreeing, I think Smith and his team will have a plan to maximise our goal scoring chances and minimise theirs.

It's not that I think their fitness will help them beat us, just that they run **** loads and it will make the game hard work.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

The amount of nervousness is weird.

To beat a "WORLDS BEST HIGH PRESS TEAM", made of people who have mostly trudged around in the Chumpionship their entire careers, you absorb some pressure and when you get the ball you don't play hot potato with it, you pass AND MOVE.  If you can set traps using a quick 1-2, you'll end up 4 on 2 high up the pitch.

The best bit is, we know the players Leeds have don't have the quality to guarantee they won't make mistakes under pressure, or pick the wrong pass.  You just have to make sure you're prepared for it. 

A good counter to the high press is decent dribblers and oh look, we have Jack/Barkley/Luiz and big arse McGinn in midfield. 

I think we'll be fine. 

This'll be the first time, under the intense annoyance that Bielsa will peel his jogging bottoms and undies down whilst he squats interestingly in the technical area and does a shy shit in it.

Leeds are not as hard as Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, City, Everton, Spurs, Southampton, Arsenal - they are a newly promoted side who work hard.  

Just work harder than them, and make them look like buffoons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

It would be brilliant to smash an all time positive record on our way back up the other side. 

There's a few here to aim for!

• Villa have started a season with four successive league wins for the first time since 1930-31. They have never won their opening five games.
  • Dean Smith's side can equal the club Premier League record of five consecutive victories, set in 1996 and matched in 1998.
  • Villa's current eight-match unbeaten streak is their longest in the Premier League since a run of 10 games ended in October 2011.
  • They can win each of their opening three home matches of a Premier League campaign for the first time since 2006-07.
  • The Villans are the only club not to have trailed in a Premier League fixture this season.
  • Villa have conceded two top-flight goals this season, four fewer than any other club.

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54564741

Leeds just don't look that threatening to me, but will be hard to break down - tight 1-0 to us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rubberman said:

There's a few here to aim for!

• Villa have started a season with four successive league wins for the first time since 1930-31. They have never won their opening five games.
  • Dean Smith's side can equal the club Premier League record of five consecutive victories, set in 1996 and matched in 1998.
  • Villa's current eight-match unbeaten streak is their longest in the Premier League since a run of 10 games ended in October 2011.
  • They can win each of their opening three home matches of a Premier League campaign for the first time since 2006-07.
  • The Villans are the only club not to have trailed in a Premier League fixture this season.
  • Villa have conceded two top-flight goals this season, four fewer than any other club.

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54564741

Leeds just don't look that threatening to me, but will be hard to break down - tight 1-0 to us.

Don’t forget:

• Villa become the first team to make Bielsa cry

• Haha 1

I get the concern some here may have, but if the opponent's team name wasn't Leeds and their manager wasn't Bielsa, would we really be worried about this match? Their back line, especially with the injuries they have, looks pretty atrocious on paper. Last week Jack absolutely toyed with Castagne, a Belgium international with Champions League experience. I can hardly imagine what he will do to whatever Championship level player they'll stick on the right of their defence. And, outside their first two matches of the season, they have hardly looked much of a goal threat.

I could easily see us winning this comfortably, but as nature has it I'm sure I'll be eating my words at the end of the night.