Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

I think a little bit of perspective is needed in the media/amongst pundits with Leeds. They are 10th having won two games from five against Fulham and Sheff Utd who sit 19th and 20th. They are hardly setting the league alight in the way the media/pundits/commentators like to suggest.  In fact in the five seasons previous to this one all of the best placed promoted sides had, like Leeds, at least 7 points after five games, only one didn't which was Norwich last year who took 6 points.

They play some nice stuff but having watched them on Monday for all their pretty possession and pressing they created next to nothing in terms of clear cut chances.

We match them tomorrow for effort then we will have too much for them in terms of quality and that should be the difference.

• Like 3

On 19/10/2020 at 09:30, rubberman said:

In all our gloried past, we have never won the first 5 games of a season.  Time to re-write history.

I had wondered about this.  People kept talking about 1930s since we won 4 so I was thinking had we EVER done 5.

The reason being all the negative all time records we smashed under Lambert and the relegation year. 

It would be brilliant to smash an all time positive record on our way back up the other side. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2020 at 22:59, TrentVilla said:

I think we would be better letting them have the ball deep, invite them onto us. I don't think they can handle it.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 4

On 19/10/2020 at 23:18, OLDVILLAIN said:

I hate them...Delusional fanbase with a crazy in the head manager..I want us to Thump them so bad..villa 5 leeds 1

1e11c2aab47491c68e29241239e7e780--funny-

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think a little bit of perspective is needed in the media/amongst pundits with Leeds. They are 10th having won two games from five against Fulham and Sheff Utd who sit 19th and 20th. They are hardly setting the league alight in the way the media/pundits/commentators like to suggest.  In fact in the five seasons previous to this one all of the best placed promoted sides had, like Leeds, at least 7 points after five games, only one didn't which was Norwich last year who took 6 points.

They play some nice stuff but having watched them on Monday for all their pretty possession and pressing they created next to nothing in terms of clear cut chances.

We match them tomorrow for effort then we will have too much for them in terms of quality and that should be the difference.

I kind of think the same. More worried about the Southampton game than this.

On 18/10/2020 at 23:08, lapal_fan said:

I hope we score a shit goal in the 110th minute after Bamford gets his arms chopped off and we pretend to kick it out, but play on and then in celebration all our players run past Bielsa and dick slap his chubby face as he squats interestingly in his technical box, with Martinez or McGinn delivering a fatal blow to him with their massive schlongs.

English isn't my first language so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Tits.

Chivalry certainly isnt dead in this post is it.

I like it.

I think you have to watch Leeds play rather than look at the results to see why they get so much attention.  Their energy levels and believe are to be admired. 

Against Wolves most opinions seem to be saying Wolves had the game under control, they clearly didn't for me especially in the first half. They surrendered possession easily and had next to no threat. Even the second half they struggled and scored a deflected goal that I'm sure the Leeds keeper would have blocked if not for the detection. 

This game is going to be a real test , arguably our hardest yet (Liverpool thought they just had to turn up to beat us, no respect). Leeds will not want to lose this and will see it as an opportunity to grab control of a season that is in danger of becoming a real struggle. 

Any chances we have first half need to be dispatched, we can't all fall to deep and invite Leeds onto us, Ollie and Jack , Barkley need to stay up the pitch and despatch any chances we have when Leeds lose possession with their high press.  

I have feeling both teams will score , can see this being a cracking game, score line 3-3 , with us coming from behind when Leeds fade in the second half 

We're Gonna have to deal with their fitness levels and high press, I think we have the players to expose them tho, and I think they will be more scared of us. Can't help feeling confident about this one. 3-1 villa 

Some think Leeds will be a real test, I think the loss of Phillip's will weaken them and they will be there own undoing because we will catch them on the counter.

I dont think Leeds have the fitness some of our players have, McGinn, Barkley, Luiz, Grealish and Watkins will run them rugged.

I'm not worried about Leeds 4-0 for me.

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I dont think Leeds have the fitness some of our players have, McGinn, Barkley, Luiz, Grealish and Watkins will run them rugged.

Leeds are being heralded as many things they are not, but if there's one thing they are it's fit.

I think Smith mentioned in his press conference that every team that has played Leeds so far has recorded their highest total distance run of the season in that game.

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I had wondered about this.  People kept talking about 1930s since we won 4 so I was thinking had we EVER done 5.

The reason being all the negative all time records we smashed under Lambert and the relegation year. 

It would be brilliant to smash an all time positive record on our way back up the other side. 

We already have! We beat our all time league consecutive wins by winning ten in a row in Smith's first season. That run would have continued had it not been for dirty, dirty Leeds and Bamford's relentless cheating.

Which is why I hope we absolutely smash them.

22 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Leeds are being heralded as many things they are not, but if there's one thing they are it's fit.

I think Smith mentioned in his press conference that every team that has played Leeds so far has recorded their highest total distance run of the season in that game.

But that doesnt always mean fitness does it? That could be down to a few other reasons like possession, giving the team a run around, swapping the ball from flank to flank alot, passing the ball around. There is alot that could make an opposition record there highest distances run, one being Bielsa like his teams to play a high line and pressure which is similar to us.

Also Phillip's, he runs the most in that team, gets about everywhere and they dont have him, so who's going to do his job??

Then they also have two more first teamers that looks doubtful, it's not looking good for them is it.

I think we should remain confident of making it 5 out of 5 and shouldnt be worried as much and enjoy the day our players should. If anything they should go out there and hand a Thrashing out to Bielsa's Boys  we have to show the media and everyone praising leeds, that they are riding on luck at the moment and that it will soon wear off.

32 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

'Hate' is a strong a word, I think it's ridiculous to say you hate a football club.

I just can't help but really, really hate Leeds.

Should be an I Hate Leeds appreciation thread.

I'll join you, I Fu**ing HATE Leeds.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

But that doesnt always mean fitness does it?

No you're right it doesn't but Smith did also state that Leeds are the fittest team in the league in the same press conference. I probably should have included that 😅

The reason I highlighted that other teams all had to put their best numbers up against them was to address the point that the game will already be cardio heavy and probably too much so to have enough left to run them ragged.