Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

25 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

When was the last time after 7 games the bottom 3 had 1 point? 
It’s not as Sheff Utd are playoff very bad, Burnley could always get back to form. Fulham might pick up some form but I think their defence will make it hard for them. We saved ourselves last season by improving our defence.

yes we did.....and I hope we don't forget how important that is......with the Leeds game to one side, you would think we are well aware of it.

I hope we show signs against Southampton that normal service has resumed.

19 hours ago, useless said:

The defeat against Leeds broke a lot of people's spirit, will have to see what effect it has had on the team. Need to makes sure that that defeat isn't the start of a bad run.

I am not sure it's broken our spirit as much as planting seeds of doubt, we have turned the corner.

I know we are a team that likes to score goals, and I am on board with that......but not at the expense of conceding them.

I still think we need more balance in the squad of signing future players with an appetite to defend, who are talented players in the bargain too.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not sure it's broken our spirit as much as planting seeds of doubt, we have turned the corner.

I know we are a team that likes to score goals, and I am on board with that......but not at the expense of conceding them.

I still think we need more balance in the squad of signing future players with an appetite to defend, who are talented players in the bargain too.

Would you be for 2 holding midfielders?

McGinn and Barkley are both very attacking to me and i don't know how sustainable or balanced that midfield is.

I know we've had a terrific start to the season, but the Leeds game was alarming. Not the defeat by itself but the amount of shots against we conceded. I'm not sure we have the right balance in midfield. I'd personally tell McGinn to sit a lot deeper.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn and Barkley are both very attacking to me and i don't know how sustainable or balanced that midfield is.

I know we've had a terrific start to the season, but the Leeds game was alarming. Not the defeat by itself but the amount of shots against we conceded. I'm not sure we have the right balance in midfield. I'd personally tell McGinn to sit a lot deeper.

I think he wants a small, weak midfielder with no physical presence.   Pretty sure I've seen him say that in one of his posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Because the bottom club in the Premier legue gets £100m in TV money. 

They’ve probably got hardly any debt either which would attract a buyer.

But looking at their assets I can only really think of Tarkowski, Pope and McNeil who would generate any serious funds. Their stadium is pretty awful too.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They’ve probably got hardly any debt either which would attract a buyer.

But looking at their assets I can only really think of Tarkowski, Pope and McNeil who would generate any serious funds. Their stadium is pretty awful too.

Small fan base, dependent on PL money and off to a horrible start, with questions as to whether they could attract the players in January to ensure they stay up.   They'll be in trouble if they drop to the Championship.   There's no way I'd risk that kind of money on that club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think John is a holding midfielder, so i am not criticising him for being deployed there.....i think you are right in your comments.

i am not against 2 holders, but they need to be able to play too.....some holding players are very talented, but their prime aim is to nullify opposing threats.

with our gradual progression, i would like to see us attract a top notch one....with a mulititude of attributes.

Can't really see any of the bottom 4 getting much over 30 points so I agree it could be a record low points total to stay up this year.

You'd have backed Sheffield United to beat Fulham at home with 30k behind them and Burnley could've got at least a point v Spurs so think BCD is really hurting both.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't really see any of the bottom 4 getting much over 30 points so I agree it could be a record low points total to stay up this year.

You'd have backed Sheffield United to beat Fulham at home with 30k behind them and Burnley could've got at least a point v Spurs so think BCD is really hurting both.

All the bottom four need to get their first win sooner rather than later because the rot sets in the confidence diminishes and its going to get harder and harder. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

All the bottom four need to get their first win sooner rather than later because the rot sets in the confidence diminishes and its going to get harder and harder. 

Looking at a win for West Brom would be massive at Fulham, would go 5 points clear of bottom 3 so nice buffer particularly as they've had a tough start.

Vast majority of teams stay up with their home form. Stoke used to barely do anything away under Pulis but would always be comfortable mid table getting 30 + points from home games. We got 7 wins at VP last season which was only a win off two of the MON seasons.

BCD is making it much harder for teams to make their home grounds a fortress and a Burnley isn't going to go away and get mass away wins so it's going to get tricky for them. Sheffield United got Chelsea away next so they've really got the fixture list from hell currently. As we found our last season don't win 2-3 winnable prem games and you've got most of the top 6 round the corner and very quickly it becomes winless in seven.

• Like 1

Last season at the start along with many, I said I would be happy with 17th.

This season at the start I said I would be happy with around 12th.

I would be very happy with 10th.

I hoped for 12 points from our first 6 games, we have that and I hope we don't slip up against Southampton today and gain the extra points.

I'm not getting too carried away with our start but it is nice to see that a win today can put us back in to 2nd and more importantly open the gap further from the bottom 4 as that's a I look for at the moment.