Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be fair they are never getting battered. Very rarely lose to more than a goal.

They don't have a wealth of talent in their squad. 

If i were a blades fan i'd be more concerned if they lost 5-0 4-0 every week. They don't.

They're not too far away from getting results.

I agree.....but i think you have spoken too soon.

as the legs get weary, the gaps open up and the talent of chelsea takes over.

my point always is, you can't just rely on talent you have to work.....and its taken chelsea this long in the game to make that talent show......it works that way around.

tomorrow we must stay tight and deny them and work our way in, until their confidence is checked, then we can let our talent shine on the counter.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree.....but i think you have spoken too soon.

First time in a long time i've seen then getting a proper spanking to be fair.

But footie is a funny old game. You can suddenly go on a good run and transform your season. Still very early in the season to draw conclusions.

Except for Fulham and WBA. I think they have got no chance.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But footie is a funny old game. You can suddenly go on a good run and transform your season. Still very early in the season to draw conclusions.

1 point in 8. -10 goals different and rock bottom of the league. Your boys and the best  British manager since Fergie are struggling mate. How long before the posters come down?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But how long has it taken Chelsea to break them down..75 mins?

The manner of this defeat, still leaves Sheff utd with some pride, for working so damn hard.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

1 point in 8. -10 goals different and rock bottom of the league. Your boys and the best  British manager since Fergie are struggling mate. How long before the posters come down?

Thats a bit sarky VLV......you know what we are looking at. ( desire and workrate)...even if you don't agree.

If his players haven't got the talent, its hardly Wilders fault.......they have still left nothing on the pitch, they have given their all......its all you can ask.

and its all ,some fans like me ,ask.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a bit sarky VLV......you know what we are looking at. ( desire and workrate)...even if you don't agree.

If his players haven't got the talent, its hardly Wilders fault.......they have still left nothing on the pitch, they have given their all......its all you can ask.

and its all ,some fans like me ,ask.

I’ve seen our players do the same many times and lose to better quality yet get slated for apparently not trying hard enough. The double standards irritate me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

Wilder has spent 120 million last 3 windows but still seen as plucky...

And that’s on top of a pretty established team. We’ve had to pretty much build a new team around 3 players that were part of the promotion team. 

Yet Wilder is a god and Smith has a lot to learn.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And that’s on top of a pretty established team. We’ve had to pretty much build a new team around 3 players that were part of the promotion team. 

Derby is a pretty "established" team as well.

So how come they aren't doing better? Could it be that Chris Wilder actually is a good manager?

His Brentford team was fairly "established" so how come he didn't achieve promotion with them?

Edited by villalad21

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve seen our players do the same many times and lose to better quality yet get slated for apparently not trying hard enough. The double standards irritate me. 

You will never see me complain about our team without reason....imo

check my posts, i never said a word in anger after the first 4 games...on the contrary, i was full of praise for the team and still think it was deserved.

What equally irks me is when there is clear deficiencies during a game and folk choose to ignore it or refrain from discussing it, why?

sure we can't win every game.....but why can't we talk about whats stops us, without falling out.

if our team get slated after a defeat, as you say, for not trying hard enough, maybe , just maybe they wasn't.

I have just watched Sheff Utd and I have no allegiance to them in any way shape or form, but I think they worked damn hard.....so I think I am capable of making the distinction of a team working hard or not......I accept its all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

Wilder has spent 120 million last 3 windows but still seen as plucky...

We spend that in one window.....chelsea spend it on 3 players.

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Derby is a pretty "established" team as well.

So how come they aren't doing better? Could it be that Chris Wilder actually is a good manager?

His Brentford team was fairly "established" so how come he didn't achieve promotion with them?

Wow even when we are discussing Wilder you managed a dig at Smith. Unbelievable Jeff.

Also how the is Derby an established team? Most of their top players under Lampard were on loan!

For the record I think Wilder is a good manager and done a fabulous job at Sheffield United. I just find it hilarious that last season it was why can’t Smith be more like Wilder and this season it’s ‘well, It’s not Wilders fault he just hasn’t got the quality players’.  

• Thanks 1

What a terrible penalty from Lookman. Sign of a team going straight back down missing penalties like that (Mitrovic also missed v Sheffield which cost them 3 points).

Was actually hoping he'd put it away as would've shaved two points off West Ham. Now they're one point off us and we should be looking to finish above them.

Really think we can rest easy. If you give teams in bottom 4 one win every 3 games (losing the other two) it would take Fulham 9 more games to catch us up and that would mean us barely picking up a point in 10 games so would require a terrible run for us to be dragged into relegation danger and that certainly shouldn't be acceptable this season.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

TBF Wilder took over a team with those players who'd been in league one for 5 years. I watched them a few times when they played Walsall and after Ched Evans went down they were bang average at that level under likes of Nigel Clough and Nigel Adkins. Then Wilder comes in and competely transforms them and gets them into premier league in 3 years so it's a little different to DS coming here and having quality of McGinn, Grealish, Axel to work with. We were also only a few points off play offs.

Now if you want a British manager who's wildly overrated compared to DS then I'd say Graham Potter is a better example.

Edited by VillaChris

Just had a look at table and actually bottom 4 being total s*** isn't helping us in a way as it's inflating the points total of everyone else.

If we lose and Man. City win we'll be 11th which will be disapppointing. Howeveer 12 points from first 7 as a total every 7 games would have us on 60 points after 35 which last year would've still given us a shout of top 4 in the last few weeks.

This was the points total after 7 games last year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49778502

West Ham in 3rd on 12 points (which also shows it's a long season given they were down with us in last few weeks) but that probably shows it's better if the bottom end teams start picking up some points if we want to finish top half this season.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just had a look at table and actually bottom 4 being total s*** isn't helping us in a way as it's inflating the points total of everyone else.

If we lose and Man. City win we'll be 11th which will be disapppointing. Howeveer 12 points from first 7 as a total every 7 games would have us on 60 points after 35 which last year would've still given us a shout of top 4 in the last few weeks.

This was the points total after 7 games last year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49778502

West Ham in 3rd on 12 points (which also shows it's a long season given they were down with us in last few weeks) but that probably shows it's better if the bottom end teams start picking up some points if we want to finish top half this season.

Worth remembering, for those insisting we shouldn't be talking about this topic.

They stayed up with what, 1 game to spare at the end of the season?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Worth remembering, for those insisting we shouldn't be talking about this topic.

They stayed up with what, 1 game to spare at the end of the season?

Yes there's always a team that falls down the league after the early games. There was though just a 5 point gap between them and Everton in 15th from that table so much tighter than this season is proving.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How’s the Wilder appreciation society doing?  @TRO @villalad21

Whats happening with Sheffield United and can we see them as a rival for relegation this season yet?

The Wilder Appreciation Society is considering a merger with the Bielsa Fan Club. Whilst Sheffield Utd aren’t generally conceding many, Leeds have, I think conceded more goals than anyone else in the PL. When PL defences stop Leeds scoring, if they don’t plug the gaps at the back, Leeds could find themselves in a spot of bother.

From last year’s experience we all know what a leaky defence gets you. It was only once we tightened things up at the back that we turned things around. Strikers for show, defenders for dough as they say. If Bielsa starts to feel the heat, who knows what he might do. 

• Like 1