Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

1 minute ago, useless said:

Just seen that after six games last season Bournemouth and West Ham were on 10 and 11 points. At the moment it's looking bad for the current bottom four, but things could start looking different if Sheffield United and Burnley start showing some of the form they showed last season. Still along way to go yet for everyone.

If your point is that we cannot relax yet, I thoroughly agree.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If your point is that we cannot relax yet, I thoroughly agree.

Completely agree. Just looked at previous results and table positions. 

Cardiff are the only side to go down with 10 wins (they hardly drew any). 

10 points nearly always sees you safe so we need another 6 wins and that should be it. 

we really need to be ahead of the game compared to others to build confidence for the latter part of the season. 

8 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Completely agree. Just looked at previous results and table positions. 

Cardiff are the only side to go down with 10 wins (they hardly drew any). 

10 points nearly always sees you safe so we need another 6 wins and that should be it. 

we really need to be ahead of the game compared to others to build confidence for the latter part of the season. 

Agree with this; 10 wins is my initial target for the season as well. If we can do more, great, that would be fantastic. But that's got to be the initial goal. Hopefully we're halfway there in a week's time.

14 hours ago, useless said:

Just seen that after six games last season Bournemouth and West Ham were on 10 and 11 points. At the moment it's looking bad for the current bottom four, but things could start looking different if Sheffield United and Burnley start showing some of the form they showed last season. Still along way to go yet for everyone.

i get that we totally shouldn't be getting complacent cause we have some wins on the board

but the bottom 4 look really poor. after 6 games last season watford had 2 points, eventually going down. still a point more through than sheff utd, burnley and fulham do now. brighton sit in 16th with 4 points which would have had you in 18th/19th last season.

personally, i'll be amazed if someone outside the current bottom 4 goes down. really think it will be 3 of those 4

but a couple of shite results and as you say, a couple of teams picking up form and we start to look over our shoulder. i'll be very pleased once we hit 40pts

• Like 2

I think we'll be more than o.k.

Huge questions would be asked of our mentality under DS if we follow up the good start with a 10 match winless run now up to xmas which is what will probably take for us to be seriously worried about relegation e.g. repeat of first half of 14/15 season.

Particularly as it's not like we're playing that many top half teams between now and late December.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll be more than o.k.

Huge questions would be asked of our mentality under DS if we follow up the good start with a 10 match winless run now up to xmas which is what will probably take for us to be seriously worried about relegation e.g. repeat of first half of 14/15 season.

Particularly as it's not like we're playing that many top half teams between now and late December.

think someone mentioned earlier that if we equaled our appalling PPG ratio from last season for the rest of the season, we'll still end up on like 47 points. so we would need to be worse than last season to be in trouble. which i don't see as being possible

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

think someone mentioned earlier that if we equaled our appalling PPG ratio from last season for the rest of the season, we'll still end up on like 47 points. so we would need to be worse than last season to be in trouble. which i don't see as being possible

I'd be pretty disappointed if we're not on 20 points by mid December (even if we don't win our next two). Ideally 25 as we have so many tough games from Boxing day up to end of January.

Just looking back to 14/15 and we took 10 points from our first 4 games. Then we took 3 points from next 9 games (typical Lambert) and even then I don't think we were in bottom 3. Still got to 20 points by December 19th which got us back into mid table before the next slump finally got Lambert sacked.

It would have to be some hopeless run of form to get us in serious relegation trouble (rather than say 14th but still 8-10 points clear of 18th) which I'd hope is behind us now.

If West Brom and Burnley win today then that would open things up again, suddenly the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, and even some of the teams on ten points could be suddenly just a bad result or two away from looking at the bottom end of the table with a nervous tremble.

Looking like 11 points clear with a game in hand of the drop, 

I know mathematically it’s usually the 40 point mark but how far do the bottom three need to behind before probability kicks in big time? 

FYI we had 15 points after 18 games last year..... we could have 15 by 6 after this weekend.

4 hours ago, useless said:

If West Brom and Burnley win today then that would open things up again, suddenly the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, and even some of the teams on ten points could be suddenly just a bad result or two away from looking at the bottom end of the table with a nervous tremble.

Nah try again next week.😉

Results have gone our way today, need to stay as far away from that bottom three as possible.

Burnley have Chelsea next, and Sheffield United play Man City, Albion play Fulham, if Fulham lose that then Parker could find his job jeopardy.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

Results have gone our way today, need to stay as far away from that bottom three as possible.

Burnley have Chelsea next, and Sheffield United play Man City, Albion play Fulham, if Fulham lose that then Parker could find his job jeopardy.

Although we’re still not safe yet. But I’d very much look at Top 10 places rather than keep bottom 3 losing. Draws are fine. But to want Newcastle to beat Fulham for example? 
It’s important that we keep in touch with top teams rather concentrating in bottom 3 for now. We will need 36+ to find ourselves safe wether they win now or not. 

• Like 1

Burnley looked alright i thought. might be OK in the end. west brom failed to beat quite an ordinary brighton side. i think they'll look back on tonight at end of season. big 2 points dropped for them.

said earlier 3 of the bottom 4 will definitely go down, i'm extending that to bottom 5. brighton really didn't look good tonight

giving the kiss of death here, but not a chance are any of these sides staying up at our expense. it would require a season ending injury to at least 3 of our top players i reckon

11 hours ago, useless said:

We can keep in touch with top teams by winning our own games, that's the only way in the top half of the table.

Exactly. We are far more likely to be bottom half than top half so I want all the top teams to win their games against the lesser sides. 

If we have any designs on a top 10 finish then, as you say, we will have to continue to beat the top half sides. 

Meanwhile, the likes of Fulham, Burnley, Brighton, WBA etc dropping points is ideal for us.

I really don't see you as relegation candidates this season, I like the moves that you made !

No quantity and lots of quality plus Jack doesn't have to do it all himself which in turn makes him a better player. There will be some twists & turns along the way & as you guys proved last season & it aint over till its over.

• Thanks 2

Burnley, West Brom, Sheff Utd, Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton and Crystal Palace are definately worse than us this season and have very poor bench options once injuries start to kick in. 

I really fear for Brighton, Fulham and West Brom and I cannot help but see this season as Sheffield United doing their version of a Huddersfield. 

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Burnley, West Brom, Sheff Utd, Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton and Crystal Palace are definately worse than us this season and have very poor bench options once injuries start to kick in. 

I really fear for Brighton, Fulham and West Brom and I cannot help but see this season as Sheffield United doing their version of a Huddersfield. 

Brighton odds of relegation are about 7/1 on Paddy Power. I think they’ll be in the mix so they seem like generous odds to me, if anyone fancies a flutter.

On 26/10/2020 at 22:43, tomav84 said:

Burnley looked alright i thought. might be OK in the end. west brom failed to beat quite an ordinary brighton side. i think they'll look back on tonight at end of season. big 2 points dropped for them.

said earlier 3 of the bottom 4 will definitely go down, i'm extending that to bottom 5. brighton really didn't look good tonight

giving the kiss of death here, but not a chance are any of these sides staying up at our expense. it would require a season ending injury to at least 3 of our top players i reckon

Urm......you mean exactly like last season then???? :)

On 26/10/2020 at 17:58, useless said:

The Fulham board will be under immense pressure to keep their golden boy at the helm.