Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

As teams around them keep strengthening their squads with quality. 

High workrate and doing the basics right can only take the likes of Burnley and SU so far. If you don't spend the money teams below you will eventually catch up to you.

We only need a couple of injuries and we could easily be dragged into this battle. The sooner we get 40 points the better or at least get Wesley and Engels back and Bertrand challenging for a start. Our squad depth is our weakness and that's what got us in trouble last year. Fulham, Sheffield and the Baggies will also be around and about, Leeds and us are also going to be in the mix. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tinker said:

We only need a couple of injuries and we could easily be dragged into this battle. The sooner we get 40 points the better or at least get Wesley and Engels back and Bertrand challenging for a start. Our squad depth is our weakness and that's what got us in trouble last year. Fulham, Sheffield and the Baggies will also be around and about, Leeds and us are also going to be in the mix. 

Agreed.

One injury or suspension massively weakens us.

I'm pretty frustrated we've spent £17m on someone who isn't ready to displace Trezeguet.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Agreed.

One injury or suspension massively weakens us.

I'm pretty frustrated we've spent £17m on someone who isn't ready to displace Trezeguet.

Based on? He was bought in given starts in the cup and subs in the league games. Trezeguet had the shirt, and didn't do enough wrong to be instantly dropped. If Traore's still on the bench in a couple of months, then maybe, but again if those with the shirt are performing well, they get to keep it. FWIW I expect Traore will start one of the next couple of games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Based on? He was bought in given starts in the cup and subs in the league games. Trezeguet had the shirt, and didn't do enough wrong to be instantly dropped. If Traore's still on the bench in a couple of months, then maybe, but again if those with the shirt are performing well, they get to keep it. FWIW I expect Traore will start one of the next couple of games.

Doesn't look ready IMO.

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I think it's an ideal time for him to tbh, while there's no fans in the ground. Wouldn't want him to be pushed into the team if we get an injury to Jack or Trez and everyone expect him to hit the ground running, thats never going to happen. 

I would be more worried about Ming's or Konsa getting injured without Engel's being fit enough,  Hause for me is not good enough.

2 minutes ago, weedman said:

I don't get this. The main problem we made last season was throwing everyone in at the deep end straight away, by the time they got up to speed we were nearly relegated. We are in a great position of not needing to do that this year. If Traore needs a bit of time to get up to the pace then fine, we're able to offer him that as Trezeguet is playing well and we're boasting a 100% record and 2nd in the league. 

I agree last season we were still scrambling to recover from bad squad management and had to chuck em in, that was far from ideal. The quality of player we bought was also a big issue.

Obviously it's brilliant we literally couldn't be doing better points wise right now. Our squad is very shallow though, and a real threat opposite Grealish will be very welcome.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree last season we were still scrambling to recover from bad squad management and had to chuck em in, that was far from ideal. The quality of player we bought was also a big issue.

Obviously it's brilliant we literally couldn't be doing better points wise right now. Our squad is very shallow though, and a real threat opposite Grealish will be very welcome.

Traore and Targett are my only concerns in our current line up. I don't rate Trezeguet and have been vocal about that, but understand that he deserves to keep his place based on his work rate.
A quality right winger would take us to the next level as an attacking threat. I don't think Traore will be great for us, but happy to be proven wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Fulham might run Derby close for the lowest points total

Don't think they'll be that bad, they've brought in some decent players and will bring in someone like Sam soon. Mitro can score as well.

Getting a 3-0 win there early is good one to pickup before they improve.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Second in the table, won all 3 games, put 7 past the champions but we’re one injury away from being relegated and Traore is shit.

I guess this must be the thread for people to channel their negativity........

We didn't get any points last weekend and it's not good enough. Smith out!

It’s hard to look past Fulham, West Brom and one of Sheff U or Burnley at the moment. West Brom look like they have some potential so could just about escape. Burnley have been a mainstay for years now but how long can they keep it up without more investment. Brighton look a decent side, I think they’ll be alright. Newcastle could get dragged into it, but to be fair to Bruce he has strengthened them with some solid premier league players. I can’t see West Ham going down, they have too much quality in the squad (it’s happened to them before though). 

It’s early days though and it only takes a bad run of form for the landscape to change. I just hope that Villa are nowhere near the battle this time.