Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the bottom 6 are so poor this season,  4 wins between them over 42 games and except for 2 wins vs a disgraceful Newcastle team they havent beat another team out of that bottom 6

We know Man U will move out of it but I expect Newcastle to be dragged in. It’s 36 points very much up for grabs.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst you have to take games in isolation and it’s never this simple. From what I’ve seen of Newcastle so far this season we need to be getting 6 points against them.

We will.

One of the few teams in this division who lets you play.

11 hours ago, smg said:

Have seen the last 55 years of Villa football starting in the mid sixties when we were really struggling and managing home crowds of between 12 and 14 thousand sadly for some on here 4 wins out of 6 is still not acceptable and can be used a a potential relegation threat. It might happen (I don’t think it will) but why raise it after 6 games. It’s almost like some ‘fans’ want us to be in a relegation scrap because that gives more opportunities to moan and slag the manager/ players off rather than be supportive.

Sorry, I was being facetious. Context is hard to get across in text only comments. I'm not advocating for a relegation scrap or any other such nonsense, rather just not getting my hopes up for a miracle top 6 finish this season 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Brighton and Burnley drawing is a poor result for both. They both need a win. Bottom 5 are in for a long season. 

i agree...i don't see a huge amount of change at the bottom. who could you see being dragged into that bottom 5? the usual suspects i.e. palace, us, newcastle, west ham, southampton have all got some wins on the board

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i agree...i don't see a huge amount of change at the bottom. who could you see being dragged into that bottom 5? the usual suspects i.e. palace, us, newcastle, west ham, southampton have all got some wins on the board

very early days though, 3 or 4 injuries to our best players and we can't put out a side that's much better quality than the bottom 5. run of defeats and the fan base will all be calling for Smith to go. wheels could come off our wagon. for me to feel really secure i think we need another summer of investment to be honest so that we have at least first eleven plus 4 or 5 on the bench that can come in without a drop in quality. we can't compete on wages till next year, this year is a tricky one for us so it's great we got some points early. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

very early days though, 3 or 4 injuries to our best players and we can't put out a side that's much better quality than the bottom 5. run of defeats and the fan base will all be calling for Smith to go. wheels could come off our wagon. for me to feel really secure i think we need another summer of investment to be honest so that we have at least first eleven plus 4 or 5 on the bench that can come in without a drop in quality. we can't compete on wages till next year, this year is a tricky one for us so it's great we got some points early. 

I’d agree that early points are very important. Teams that start badly rarely seem to pull away from the bottom 5 or 6 and a run of bad results always seems to cause considerable damage to league position and confidence. 

The opposite is generally true of teams that get early points. A poor run is soon put right with a couple of wins. Obviously thangs could still go wrong for us but we’ve had an encouraging start. A point at Arsenal would very much steady the ship. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How’s the Wilder appreciation society doing?  @TRO @villalad21

Whats happening with Sheffield United and can we see them as a rival for relegation this season yet?

I still think he is a good manager.....still in the game, with players like Lundstram £700,000' Basham, stevens, mcGoldrick...etc.

phenomenal performance last season.

I don't think there is a manager in the division that could do better, with the squad he has.

most of Chelsea's players are £40 mill plus......so in these terms its a mismatch, but credit too them for trying to make it hard for the opposition.

for all their lack of talent ( but their goal was class) they are still making a game of it.......and its that , that I admire about them.

you cannot accuse Sheff Utd of lack of desire or workrate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I still think he is a good manager.....still in the game, with players like Lundstram £700,000' Basham, stevens, mcGoldrick...etc.

I don't think there is a manager in the division that could do better, with the squad he has.

most of Chelsea's players are £40 mill plus......so in these terms its a mismatch, but credit too them for trying to make it hard for the opposition.

for all their lack of talent ( but their goal was class) they are still making a game of it.......and its that , that I admire about them.

you cannot accuse Sheff Utd of lack of desire or workrate.

Fair enough but do you still think they will comfortably stay up?

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How’s the Wilder appreciation society doing?  @TRO @villalad21

Whats happening with Sheffield United and can we see them as a rival for relegation this season yet?

To be fair they are never getting battered. Very rarely lose to more than a goal.

They don't have a wealth of talent in their squad. 

If i were a blades fan i'd be more concerned if they lost 5-0 4-0 every week. They don't.

They're not too far away from getting results.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be fair they are never getting battered. Very rarely lose to more than a goal.

If i were a blades fan i'd be more concerned if they lost 5-0 4-0 every week. They don't.

So you haven’t taken your posters down just yet? ;)

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last season after Spurs Game we as a newly promoted team with loads of new signing to fit in to the team went 8 games before we lost by more than 2 goals and even then that was to city. Yet nothing but criticism from you mate. Do you see why people react?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Last season after Spurs Game we as a newly promoted team with loads of new signing to fit in to the team went 8 games before we lost by more than 2 goals and even then that was to city. Yet nothing but criticism from you mate. Do you see why people react?

Because we conceded close to 20 shots per game

It wasn't sustainable and we were 100 % going down before Covid-19 hit.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but do you still think they will comfortably stay up?

I genuinely don't know.....i predict half way this season.

my view is we have talent and are capable of beating anyone.....but our achilles heel is....we are too benevolent, we give space away, alarmingly and subsequently surrender the initiative in some games too easily.

i don't think we have enough players in the squad with naturally gifted nous to defend.

Its how we turn up, pre lockdown or post lockdown.....in the first 4 games it was the latter, in the last 2 games it was the former.

Dean has to respect Arsenal, and grow in to the game, it won't be easy....but if we play like we did against Leicester, we have a chance......they are a fine team and with the addition of Partey a more durable outfit.

we have to be on our metal.....and stay in the game early on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1