Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

12 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

After the Leicester game, what would have been the worst possible and unimaginable follow up? Two home spankings. Yep, we managed it. 

Been that way since 2010 I'm afraid. One bad result and we don't half going into a tailspin sometimes. This has all the makings of another long winless run up to xmas.

Happened countless times under Lambert as mentioned above and last season we followed up winning late v Watford and Leicester with a terrible run that would've likely got DS sacked and us relegated but for lockdown.

Just seems in our psyche I'm afraid while many other clubs follow a bad defeat by drawing a game or two and building up confidence again quickly.

• Like 1

Disappointing to lose 2 home games and the fact our defence appears to have turned to shit, but 12 points from 6 games is fine. We're still above a number of good teams. 

We were never going to be top 6 this year, we had a great start, but now we're levelling out. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Always expected a relegation battle but after the good start I thought we maybe could avoid immediate danger. Now Im clinging on to the fact that there is a few teams as crap as us.

We have an 11 pt gap and a better goal difference than the bottom 3. 

I don't think we need to worry just yet. 

• Like 2

Arsenal will wipe the floor with us, so looks like we'll be going into the international break on the back of three straight defeats, I look at the first four games and wonder if it gave a false picture, we beat Sheffield United, Fulham and Leicester, but everyone is beating the first two and Leciester were without half of their better players, and Liverpool was a good win, but a bit of a freak scoreline.

We're eleven points clear at the moment but unless we improve fast then that gap will slowly disappear, we can't afford to be Blasé about the possibility of relegation, there's a danger that both Burnley and Sheffield United will improve, both have shown that they're capable in this division, so I think that there's a danger that a couple of teams who are deemed as safe at the moment could dragged into a relegation battle.

November and December will be 🔑 for us, lots of games where we should be capable of picking up points, and indeed we shall need to because we have a very difficult end to the season.

• Like 1

A win for Fulham tomorrow and the gap will be reduced to nine points, and then comes the danger of it being reduced to six points going into the international break should we lose next weekend.

Really could do with the bottom three's poor form continuing.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

A win for Fulham tomorrow and the gap will be reduced to nine points, and then comes the danger of it being reduced to six points going into the international break should we lose next weekend.

Really could do with the bottom three's poor form continuing.

But they won't win tomorrow

Everton losing as well.

I think this is just the League starting to balance itself out. We will have a better idea of where we are after 12 - 15 games imo.

In a sense, it's better expectations are tempered from now.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Even a draw would reduce the gap to ten points then they play West Ham next weekend, they might lose both, but the bottom three or four aren't just going to conveniently lose every game, eventually they'll start picking up points.

Hoping for a miracle for us against Arsenal, even a draw would be good to arrest this losing streak we're on.

I'm more confident we'll get something off Arsenal than I was today. Think we match up better v them as the two games showed v them last season. Would still think we're more than capable of getting a point from that if we can actually go back to defending well like in Leicester game.

After the break we have Brighton, West Ham, West Brom, Burnley and Newcastle pretty much all in a row so we need to win 2-3 of those and get up to 20 points.

Need to do that as our run from Boxing day up to late January is horrendous.