Ross Barkley

LondonLax

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

To be fair to Barkley, his second half of the season last time he was at Villa consisted of a) getting a bad injury (at Brighton) & b) presumably being affected by COVID.

In hindsight I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. That's tough on anyone.

Don’t even get to play in front of our fans did he? 

On 22/02/2021 at 11:43, useless said:

If Barkley had have been as poor as some are making out we wouldn't be in the position we're in now, we're not good enough that we can carry players and still find ourselves eighth in table.

I think some people are measuring him against unrealistic expectations, he was never meant to be a 'legend' or some wonder player, he doesn't have to be those things to be a worthwhile loan for us this season, he just has to give us something we didn't have previously and help us improve, which as an whole he had done.

Welcome back if he signs

2 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

You're right, but he's developed as a player since then. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given he's been good in a deep role for Luton this season. Also, I have faith in Unai to get the best out of anyone.

I absolutely have faith in Unai and Monchi, I'm just shocked because from what we saw in a Villa shirt previously, he would have been the very last player on my list.

• Like 2

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

It wouldn't be a free though, wouldn't he have  a few years left on his contract at luton?

Got a year left. I presume this is happening due to a relegation clause.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, East London Villa said:

I absolutely have faith in Unai and Monchi, I'm just shocked because from what we saw in a Villa shirt previously, he would have been the very last player on my list.

Absolutely a fair initial reaction haha. Only reason I think differently is after doing a bit of digging into his role at Luton and seeing some clear improvement in his game.

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he was lazy, didn't track back, watched games go by.

he's not been like that for Luton though

Part of that was definitely his legs being completely cooked though. Dude could not move at all.

• Like 1

Was a complete lazy bastard last time he was here and couldn't wait to see the back of him. We now get in the CL league, welcome back ffs 😂

I'm shocked tbh and not in a good way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

😂😂😂 sorry, I dunno how I was a million pages off

No worries! Totally agree it isn’t a coup now, and it’s kind of an anticlimax… but a good player if Emery thinks we can get performances out of him on a small outlay

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Was a complete lazy bastard last time he was here and couldn't wait to see the back of him. We now get in the CL league, welcome back ffs 😂

I'm shocked tbh and not in a good way. 

As was mcginn during Barkleys time here. Our standards are higher now and barkley will be a bench player

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

As was mcginn during Barkleys time here. Our standards are higher now and barkley will be a bench player

McGinn is twice the player as Barkley who was just lazy, something nobody can say about McGinn. I don't care how good he's been a Luton while they've been shipping goals for fun, he's bang average and 30 years old. 

3 minutes ago, Withnail said:

Are there any links or is this all based on a Sky Sports poll?

Basically every reliable source out there.  Plus we suddenly became massive odds-on favourites the other day.

• Thanks 1

Just heard this thought 'I wonder if we're going to sell Tielemans for FFP reasons making a profit on what was a a free transfer, and Barkley will be his replacement'.

• Shocked 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

McGinn is twice the player as Barkley who was just lazy, something nobody can say about McGinn. I don't care how good he's been a Luton while they've been shipping goals for fun, he's bang average and 30 years old. 

Genuine question, do you trust Emery to get the best out of him?

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It wouldn't be a free though, wouldn't he have  a few years left on his contract at luton?

No. He only had a year deal 

Hard to tell with him, I think during his first stint his head went, not sure why, from memory it was pre injury, he was doing well and then seemingly fell off a cliff form wise, I always thought maybe behind the scenes we told him we wouldn't be buying him, post injury down the stretch he was **** garbage 

Fair play to him at Luton he's sorted himself out and played good football, not sure if they tweaked his position or gave him a role that he craved or tickled him in a certain way

My problem now is there's every danger villa aren't going to tickle him in the same way, not a clue if he'll actually bother to turn up as 4th / 5th choice, it's a massive risk

Â