Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

20 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Imagine if we added a quality striker, a winger and a centre back to this team at this stage of the season. Top 6 would genuinely be realistic. I think it’s squad depth that will hamper us not so much the quality.

Agreed mate but isn’t squad depth the same as quality? We don’t have enough quality in our squad to be a top 6 side. We will win more games than we lose with our first XI, yet even that side are just lacking in genuine PL quality across the pitch. Wingers, CF etc....we have good PL players there but not at the top level. This will take time and money....fortunately for us we have both. Main concern for me is replacing JG when he goes. 

We need to stop dropping points against the Scumchester United's of this world if we want the title. And we need to pay off the officials too. Not that I'm saying that there's anything untoward going on with the FA and referees. But our best chance of winning more trophies might be with getting Harry Redknapp into oversee the administration and finance department with regards to the FA and the referees.

Assuming three points from the Newcastle game in hand were added to our tally now, we’d be in third above Leicester on GD. We’re still very much in the mix for a top six finish and with the start we’ve had, that should be the aim now. I’d have taken tenth at the start of the season, but after what’s unraveled I would be a bit disappointed with that now. The potential for European football is real and there for the taking, possibly. 

Three tough games coming up now, Spurs, Everton and Man City. These represent an opportunity to solidify our top six credentials, but lose all three and the table changes significantly. Four points would be a good return, and keep us in the mix for the next round of games against ‘easier’ teams. 

• Like 2

There are still a lot of games to go - youngest team in prem, some good players developing alongside players who have matured - and still two or three seasons away from having a fully fledged squad in the words of Smith. Alas, top spot looks like it's beyond us (who knew?!) - however, there is going to be a really exciting battle for the top 6 and as it stands we have a shot. Personally I wanted a quiet and unremarkable season this year - should have known better!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There are still a lot of games to go - youngest team in prem, some good players developing alongside players who have matured - and still two or three seasons away from having a fully fledged squad in the words of Smith. Alas, top spot looks like it's beyond us (who knew?!) - however, there is going to be a really exciting battle for the top 6 and as it stands we have a shot. Personally I wanted a quiet and unremarkable season this year - should have known better!

That’s a good point, as long as we can keep this team together and add some quality, well will have a great team in two years time. They should mostly hit their peak together. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We need to stop dropping points against the Scumchester United's of this world if we want the title. And we need to pay off the officials too. Not that I'm saying that there's anything untoward going on with the FA and referees. But our best chance of winning more trophies might be with getting Harry Redknapp into oversee the administration and finance department with regards to the FA and the referees.

You are expecting us to compete for the title now? Where have you been for at least the last 10 years?

Still bummed out about last night's defeat. 

I'm just flat about the whole statistic that we've won once in 60 odd game was it? 

Every season in the PL it's like we only have 36 games to get as many points as possible while United have a 6 point start. 

Then to top it all they win by the softest penalties I've ever seen. Pogba hitting Luiz in the face and then tripping up. 

I still think we will be in the mix, we were superb last night, despite the result this is the first time since the opening day of the premier league that we have dominated a United side for large periods of the game. I've seen us work hard and win points against them but this is a side now fighting for the league with top top players and we more than matched up. The future is bright for us and hopefully some of the luck/matching xG will start to come our way. Next up is Spurs and I hate them more than Man Utd (due to friends) and if they play like they did last weekend we will run over them.

2 hours ago, eholm said:

Agreed mate but isn’t squad depth the same as quality? We don’t have enough quality in our squad to be a top 6 side. We will win more games than we lose with our first XI, yet even that side are just lacking in genuine PL quality across the pitch. Wingers, CF etc....we have good PL players there but not at the top level. This will take time and money....fortunately for us we have both. Main concern for me is replacing JG when he goes. 

Its first changes of quality that we're missing. Theres a real reluctance to make any substitutions at the moment, because of that drop in quality. We have 13 or 14 players who can play at a decent premier league level, and on average there will likely be 2 or 3 of those unavailable to injury or suspension. We need to turn that 13 or 14 into 17 or 18. I think we come away with a draw yesterday with options off the bench.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its first changes of quality that we're missing. Theres a real reluctance to make any substitutions at the moment, because of that drop in quality. We have 13 or 14 players who can play at a decent premier league level, and on average there will likely be 2 or 3 of those unavailable to injury or suspension. We need to turn that 13 or 14 into 17 or 18. I think we come away with a draw yesterday with options off the bench.

I agree,  Man Utd and Chelsea literally had millions of pounds worth of options on the bench and we were limited due to injuries. I mean I love Conor and I think he would walk into a couple of teams lower in the league and he does provide an option, but not against the top sides. The flip side is I dont think we are quite ready to pay 70K a week for a bench warmer.

Last night was gutting but remember a team costing nigh on a billion pounds at home, had to cheat to get a win against us, celebrated like they won the league after, and had several players (pogba, de gea, Shaw) play their best games in some cases for years. 

Agree about bench depth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

You are expecting us to compete for the title now? Where have you been for at least the last 10 years?

I agree we should have been challenging for titles during the last 10 years. Even when we were in the championship I expected us to qualify for the CL. Somehow anyway possible.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Still bummed out about last night's defeat. 

I'm just flat about the whole statistic that we've won once in 60 odd game was it? 

Every season in the PL it's like we only have 36 games to get as many points as possible while United have a 6 point start. 

Then to top it all they win by the softest penalties I've ever seen. Pogba hitting Luiz in the face and then tripping up. 

We can do them at VP, that's the jinx we simply have to end like we've done with the home droughts v Arsenal and Liverpool in last six months.

I can live with not winning much at Old Trafford as very few teams do but not winning in 25 years at home to them (plus the FA cup defeats) is beyond a joke now.

We play them 8th May so hopefully they have a europa game around that time and a few injuries.

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

Completely agree but some still oddly don't think we need a striker in the window seemingly due to a guy returning who hasn't played in a year who won't even be available for next two months in all likelihood.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Completely agree but some still oddly don't think we need a striker in the window seemingly due to a guy returning who hasn't played in a year who won't even be available for next two months in all likelihood.

We need a Maupay standard player on the bench, if we are to move on to the next level. Watkins was absolutely knackered last half hour. And that really matters. If you have a sharp, fresh, decent striker, they probably nick a goal late on yesterday.

15 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Think we are in violent agreement that we were great in all those games so won’t worry too much about how we rank them!

No such thing as a violent agreement. Agreement means to reach a consensus of common cause. In contrast the root of “violent” is violate, which comes from the Latin for “villalad21”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Enda said:

No such thing as a violent agreement. Agreement means to reach a consensus of common cause. In contrast the root of “violent” is violate, which comes from the Latin for “villalad21”.

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's gotta be a curse or something. Most lopsided fixture in the prem? I mean bloody hell we were only shit in the prem for literally the last 5 years of 1st spell, we were a pretty decent top 8 minimum team and still never got a win

Â