Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

1 hour ago, useless said:

Edit: I forgot we have Liverpool in the cup, still if you're going to win it have to beat the best teams at some point.

We have 'a' Liverpool in the FA Cup. It's worth remembering we've won our last two against them at Villa Park by a combined score of 12-2. :)

I think we'll see some very unfamiliar line ups in the FA Cup from the teams still in Europe.

If we make the semi-final, they'll have to reschedule our other game against Man City.

• Like 1

Liverpool dropping 2 points to Newcastle tonight. 

7* points behind with 2 games in hand 👀

This thread was clearly made in jest but at the start of the season I would never have thought we'd be going into 2021 in this position. It's incredible

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 4

At the risk of popping our little balloon here, I wonder what kind of potential negative impact a full Villa Park might have on the team when it happens again. Our best stretch of results back in the PL have happened during the fan lockout. 

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

At the risk of popping our little balloon here, I wonder what kind of potential negative impact a full Villa Park might have on the team when it happens again. Our best stretch of results back in the PL have happened during the fan lockout. 

I think we’ll be even better with an optimistic positive villa park. Think about the 10 game winning streak. Villa park become a great place to be. 

I think if anything our away form will struggling due to the effect home crowds will have on the opposition. But it will be across the whole league.

I feel like more than three points are at stake this Friday night. If we beat United, and even do it in style, could NSWE feel compelled to make a real second half push for the title or at least the CL and buy two or three really good players in January? Liverpool are not the inevitable force they were last season. Other sides are up and down. Look at Chelsea and Spurs. Man City just not fully switched on. 2nd place maybe flatters Man Utd. Everton are harder to pin down. Their season has mirrored ours in terms of a dip in results in Autumn, but surging again now. They play really nice football too. This thing is wide open.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm really not impressed by most sides in the league this season. It's going to be one of the poorest title wins for quite a while I reckon. 

Agree but I think people are forgetting about Man City. They have the best defence in the league and are quietly going about their business. Their games in hand are also building up but they have the squad to cope. Still the only team that will challenge Liverpool in my opinion. 

There was a time league winners would drop a lot of points. It’s only the last 3 season Man City and Liverpool have destroyed everyone.  

This season is how it should be.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

You think? Has me worried United will now be fired up to beat us and go joint top.

Nah. It just reinforces the idea that the top 8 positions are a complete toss up right now.

I don't know where we will finish, but based on what I've seen so far I do know we're a match for anyone.

As the season progresses though you would think teams with bigger squads will have an advantage based purely on the congested nature of the season. 

29 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I feel like more than three points are at stake this Friday night. If we beat United, and even do it in style, could NSWE feel compelled to make a real second half push for the title or at least the CL and buy two or three really good players in January? Liverpool are not the inevitable force they were last season. Other sides are up down. Look at Chelsea and Spurs. Man City just not fully switched on. 2nd place maybe flatters Man Utd. Everton are harder to pin down. Their season has mirrored ours in terms of a dip in results in Autumn, but surging again now. They play really nice football too. This thing is wide open.

One thing is for sure, if we're going to mount any push for the top 4 we'll need a stronger squad to do it. The question is who do you bring in and how much do you spend? Are we looking at improving the starting XI or just improving the bench? 

While I can see a lot of benefits to strengthening I'm not sure we'll see it happen, based on what Smith has suggested in his interviews. But perhaps the covid situation as it stands may encourage them to beef the squad up as we have used the least players all season, so an outbreak would affect us more than any other club.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Liverpool were 13 points further ahead this time last season, the league is there for someone to take it

I’ve said previously that the last 3 or 4 seasons have been the peak, that we’ve seen the very best and it’s impossible to sustain the levels seen. Liverpool and Man City are inevitably falling back from their highs, other teams have improved, and so the gap is closing. It makes for a much better spectacle 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Our best stretch of results in the PL have happened while other teams fans have been locked out. Our home form has been way worse than our away form without fans. We'd most likely be top if we were allowed a full house and nobody else was allowed any fans, as would any of the rest of the top 8.

• Like 1

Â