Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Another game where we dominated for considerable periods, and overall were worth at least a point. Have we genuinely been properly outplayed this season?

Could make a case for Leeds given all their shots in the end but first half we had a couple of good chances.

Southampton was a very flat first half but came roaring back into it when 4-0 down. On balance that was worst performance of the season although their style always gives us major issues.

Only those two really. All the other games we've played well in. West Ham was one of our best 90 minute performances of the season, mad how we actually lost that.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Could make a case for Leeds given all their shots in the end but first half we had a couple of good chances.

Southampton was a very flat first half but came roaring back into it when 4-0 down. On balance that was worst performance of the season although their style always gives us major issues.

Only those two really. All the other games we've played well in. West Ham was one of our best 90 minute performances of the season, mad how we actually lost that.

In addition we've had easy chances in every game to win. We had 3 against Leeds where we should have scored and changed the game.

Just need that ruthless streak of putting away big chances at vital times in games.

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Another game where we dominated for considerable periods, and overall were worth at least a point. Have we genuinely been properly outplayed this season?

Leeds and 45 mins vs Southampton. I’d say of 15 games this season, we have been the better team in 12-14 depending on how I judge a couple of them. Should bode well for sneaking into the top half.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

As in 10th place? If that's what you mean that's some negativity right there

I’ll be very pleased if we finish 10th. I think we have been fantastic this season and we are level on points with 10th. Finish anywhere without being in the relegation mix (accomplished already I think) and that’s great - finish top half and that’s fantastic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I thought we were brilliant at times tonight, we probably played better than the Liverpool game for example but thats football 

Nah I thought we played very well but not of the standard where we schooled Liverpool and Arsenal (the latter I think our best win of the season so far).

7 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Nah I thought we played very well but not of the standard where we schooled Liverpool and Arsenal (the latter I think our best win of the season so far).

Arsenal i agree with we destroyed them. Liverpool game while great we were playing a bit more counter attack, today like Chelsea we took the game to United and tried to play through them

Just now, Zatman said:

Arsenal i agree with we destroyed them. Liverpool game while great we were playing a bit more counter attack, today like Chelsea we took the game to United and tried to play through them

Think we are in violent agreement that we were great in all those games so won’t worry too much about how we rank them! Agree with your point that losing today doesn’t detract from how good we were.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’ll be very pleased if we finish 10th. I think we have been fantastic this season and we are level on points with 10th. Finish anywhere without being in the relegation mix (accomplished already I think) and that’s great - finish top half and that’s fantastic.

I wouldn't feel pleased if we finished 10th from here. Finishing below Tottenham and Man City might be expected, but I would be disappointed to finish below both Southampton and West Ham. I think we've played better football than both those teams, certainly than West Ham.

I mean 10th would be alright, nice not to be in the relegation battle, but it would feel like we had had a pretty average second half of the season IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I wouldn't feel pleased if we finished 10th from here. Finishing below Tottenham and Man City might be expected, but I would be disappointed to finish below both Southampton and West Ham. I think we've played better football than both those teams, certainly than West Ham.

I mean 10th would be alright, nice not to be in the relegation battle, but it would feel like we had had a pretty average second half of the season IMO.

I just think the idea of two of Southampton, West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves overtaking us isn’t that mad.

RE Southampton and West Ham - we have been SO GOOD and are only level on points with them... I hope it makes sense that I’m saying I’d be fine with 10th precisely because I’m happy with the season, not because I’m unhappy.

In three weeks I am guessing we will be 11th, albeit with games in hand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I wouldn't feel pleased if we finished 10th from here

Just adding to my last post, sorry - we are level on points with 10th. Surely we wouldn’t be disappointed with this same form continuing in the next few months but with a slight shift in goal difference?

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I just think the idea of two of Southampton, West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves overtaking us isn’t that mad.

RE Southampton and West Ham - we have been SO GOOD and are only level on points with them... I hope it makes sense that I’m saying I’d be fine with 10th precisely because I’m happy with the season, not because I’m unhappy.

In three weeks I am guessing we will be 11th, albeit with games in hand.

The games in hand are quite important!

I dunno, maybe I'm not stating my point very well, but I just wouldn't be *pleased* with finishing 10th. It wouldn't be bad, sure, but it wouldn't be particularly good either. The football we are playing now is not 10th-in-the-table level, so we would need to regress. Which might well happen due to fatigue, of course, but again I wouldn't be chuffed about it.

I also think there's a 'once in a blue moon' quality to this season. Finish 10th, and we won't attract much better players than we were able to previously; it might well not be enough to persuade eg Grealish or Luiz to stay. We have the chance *now*; 10th would represent a failure to take that opportunity to change our fortunes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The games in hand are quite important!

I dunno, maybe I'm not stating my point very well, but I just wouldn't be *pleased* with finishing 10th. It wouldn't be bad, sure, but it wouldn't be particularly good either. The football we are playing now is not 10th-in-the-table level, so we would need to regress. Which might well happen due to fatigue, of course, but again I wouldn't be chuffed about it.

I also think there's a 'once in a blue moon' quality to this season. Finish 10th, and we won't attract much better players than we were able to previously; it might well not be enough to persuade eg Grealish or Luiz to stay. We have the chance *now*; 10th would represent a failure to take that opportunity to change our fortunes.

I don’t think we are massively disagreeing. I also think one of our games in hand (Man City) is likely to be zero points, hence not really counting too much on it.

I think if we finish top half it will have been a successful season and I think the fact some will be disappointed with it shows the challenge Smith will have with high expectations here. This is not an easy league to finish top half in, and certainly not top six. Obviously I hope I’m wrong and we step up another gear!

• Like 1

IMO those looking at top 6 are being a bit unrealistic. We are currently a solid mid-table team. Good all over the pitch but just lacking in overall quality to really challenge for too 6. Yes, I know we are there now but only 15 games in. 

To get a mid table finish anywhere from 9-12 wound be a great achievement in only our 2nd season in PL. We then invest again in the Summer, keep Jack hopefully and then challenge that top 6-8 finish. 

• Like 2

We’re not going to get anywhere near the title with the amount of poor decisions going against us at the moment. 

We should have 3 more points than we do at present. The standard of refereeing and the current rules around VAR and checking incidents is broken. It’s comically bad. 

They say it evens itself out, fine, but as things stand, it’s cost us vital points this season. 

Not sure I enjoy football as much as I used to. I’ll always watch every single Villa match but I don’t celebrate goals much anymore and I’m just waiting for VAR to get something wrong. Shame. 

• Like 1

Â