Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

Smith seems quite fired up on our boys' behalf, certainly up for a fight. Covid or not, one factor is not to be underestimated: our team has gotten much needed rest and will be raring to go.

Not going to predict anything as we come up against a Citeh side really getting into the groove, but I do expect us to deliver a spirited and vital performance. Strangely looking forward to this!

8 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Smith seems quite fired up on our boys' behalf, certainly up for a fight. Covid or not, one factor is not to be underestimated: our team has gotten much needed rest and will be raring to go.

Not going to predict anything as we come up against a Citeh side really getting into the groove, but I do expect us to deliver a spirited and vital performance. Strangely looking forward to this!

Going to be interesting.  You've got to expect that even if the first 11 are suffering zero direct ill effects from covid, the indirect effects will have an impact on us. Those being the lack of proper training equipment and for some players lack of space (Luiz), the lack of joined up drills, the lack of a close eye being kept on you by the coaches.

Its going to be a really tough ask to get anything from this game, but I still would back our current crop to be able to do it, if anyone can.

• Like 1

No game is a free hit. Especially after our performances against, Manure, Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool. They felt like big games. The commentary sounded like they were big games. The way manure celebrated felt like it was a big game.

We're feared. We're a threat. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

No game is a free hit. Especially after our performances against, Manure, Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool. They felt like big games. The commentary sounded like they were big games. The way manure celebrated felt like it was a big game.

Agreed I think City will see this as one of their toughest games this season. 

It's potentially the best defence against the most creative side thus far.

They'll probably beat us but we have every right to believe we can go there and get a result.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Agreed I think City will see this as one of their toughest games this season. 

It's potentially the best defence against the most creative side thus far.

They'll probably beat us but we have every right to believe we can go there and get a result.

Totally agree. I don't fear these games. I know that we will cause some pain to them. Whether we win or lose they're going to have a hard game against us.

• Like 2

Can we finish above Chelsea?

That would be some story considering what they spend in the summer. Think we last did it in the late 90s.

They're currently on course to finish on 58 points if they repeat form in second half of season and we play them last day so feels possible.

Got a good run of fixtures over next month but they have a very tough final 5-6 games.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That would be some story considering what they spend in the summer. Think we last did it in the late 90s.

They're currently on course to finish on 58 points if they repeat form in second half of season and we play them last day so feels possible.

Got a good run of fixtures over next month but they have a very tough final 5-6 games.

Im sure they'll be better in the second half of the season, but historically Dean Smith teams are better second half also so who knows. Definitely within the realms of possibility, assuming covid doesn't derail us.

I dont see the game as a free hit, but I will accept any kind of performance in this game, and any result. A 7-0 defeat? No problem. We have had the most interrupted buildup to a game ever, and players that will be a fair way off match fitness, 2 weeks is a long time in pro world, albeit rested. Throw in the fact this City team is the best team in the league on its day, and they're in form and you begin to see that we need lady luck to be on our side, as well as everyone to be on top form.

Its possible, but not likely. The most important thing is how we react to whatever this game throws at us and the second game back is the real proof of our current position. 

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Crazy but they have played 19 games, half their season and we are only 3 points behind them with 4.....yes 4....games in hand over them!

5 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

We're pretty much the opposite team to what we were last season.

Against the top 6 plus Leicester last season, we lost 39-13 on aggregate, so roughly an average of a 3-1 defeat per game.

Against the same teams this season we are pretty much exactly the reverse. Winning 13-5 on aggregate so far. Again near an average of 3-1 victory per game.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea may finish mid table so that won't be too much to brag about this season.

From a team that stayed up by a point to finish above Chelsea in the top half of the division is not to get excited about

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

From a team that stayed up by a point to finish above Chelsea in the top half of the division is not to get excited about

To each their own. 

I'll get excited if we win stuff. 

We are a big club and we shouldn't cream our pants over mid table. Sounds a bit small time. 

Edited by villalad21

We will still be a couple of games behind for a while but with City and Newcastle this week. You’d hope for 3+ from those two. 

puts us 8th with two in hand over most after this weekend is done and dusted. 

we’ve got a real opportunity to go with the top half group and not the bottom half. 

by the end of Jan I think we will know which half we will end up in. 

The way the season goes and the way we have conducted ourselves both on and off the pitch, I'd only be happy with a top 10 finish.

But in secret I'd be genuinely disappointed if we didn't at least give top 6 one hell of a crack.

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea may finish mid table so that won't be too much to brag about this season.

We haven't finished above Chelsea since I believe 96/97 season. And Arsenal the year before so it would be good to finish above both this season even if neither are that good. Small steps and would help improve mentality of club going into next season.

Leicester did all that in their famous season and now they're not scared about finishing above the established teams at all.

• Like 1

Â