Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yep, I guess it's just that it's been so long since we've actually had this kind of season in the Premier League.

Was trying to think of the last mid table season we had in premier league. It's certainly been a long time!

I know we finished 9th in the Houllier year but we were bottom 6 for large chunks of that one so that certainly didn't feel like a mid table season until probably last 5 games.

McLeish season was mid table up to Feb and then we completely collapsed and probably would've gone down if it had been a 40 game season.

06/07 would be the last one I think. Had a good unbeaten start under O'neill and then poor xmas/January period before having decent unbeaten run for final few games. Finished 11th on 50 points.

Spurs finished 5th on 60 points and we were only 8 points off 6th in the end.

14th place was 42 points.......Manchester City. Those were the days.

We had 23 points after 15 games but then won 2 out of our next 16!

With regards this season not having the chance to at least play the Newcastle game when it was supposed to be played has messed things up as we'd be right up there with 3 points from that.

12 hours ago, birdman said:

I liked the result. I don't think we should be worried the way we are playing and this result just keeps things tighter. 

Less points for Southampton the better though. They hadn't won for a few games against likes of Fulham and West Ham so they were starting to drop down the league so beating Liverpool could give them that extra boost just when they need it mid season.

They're a good well coached team but don't see why we can't finish above them unless "it's putting too much unnecessary pressure on the club" or something.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was trying to think of the last mid table season we had in premier league. It's certainly been a long time!

I know we finished 9th in the Houllier year but we were bottom 6 for large chunks of that one so that certainly didn't feel like a mid table season until probably last 5 games.

McLeish season was mid table up to Feb and then we completely collapsed and probably would've gone down if it had been a 40 game season.

06/07 would be the last one I think. Had a good unbeaten start under O'neill and then poor xmas/January period before having decent unbeaten run for final few games. Finished 11th on 50 points.

Spurs finished 5th on 60 points and we were only 8 points off 6th in the end.

14th place was 42 points.......Manchester City. Those were the days.

We had 23 points after 15 games but then won 2 out of our next 16!

With regards this season not having the chance to at least play the Newcastle game when it was supposed to be played has messed things up as we'd be right up there with 3 points from that.

In fairness if we keep up our form from the first 15 games I think we'd actually be on course to finish top 6 but yeah, this is definitely the first season since 2009/2010 where we'd have no relegation concerns at all (and I don't expect that to change).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Still in this (if we beat Spurs and Everton). 

2 teams I think we can absolutely take. City after that is a write-off though. Just our luck we play them just as they start to hit form again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Just seen a "super computer" predicting we'll finish 6th with 71 points. 

Can we now relax and celebrate?

It was 2nd last week with a super computer. Think they just make it up as they go along!

• Like 1

2019/20 versus 2020/21 - same games comparison results.

image.png.52ad309bedadc95c88e04f717ec18b58.png

- Basically, we are roughly 60% above like for like point achievement year on year.

- Like for like, so far we have performed better in 7 games, the same in 4, and worse in 4 games in 20/21 compared to 19/20. (aka equal or better in 11 games, worse in 4)

- Interestingly, if we continue to perform at the current rate versus last year (game versus game), it actually puts us on roughly 56/57 points at season end (not the 60/70+ we have talked about as a maybe), 56/57 points would have placed us 8th last year.

- FYI, for newly promoted teams, i have just done a like for like against the teams they replaced this year.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

2019/20 versus 2020/21 - same games comparison results.

image.png.52ad309bedadc95c88e04f717ec18b58.png

- Basically, we are roughly 60% above like for like point achievement year on year.

- Interestingly, if we continue to perform at the current rate versus last year, it actually puts us on roughly 56/57 points at season end (not the 60/70+ we have talked about as a maybe), 56/57 points would have placed us 8th last year.

- FYI, for newly promoted teams, i have just done a like for like against the teams they replaced this year.

56/57 would be a massive improvement on last season, 45 points or more is a big improvement really seeing as we finished on 35 points last season. 56 is a 21 point improvement!

Who knows though, Smith will be trying to ride the wave and avoid a slump in form and like us hoping it will last till the end of the season. For that to happen we will have to be incredibly lucky with injuries and have Wes come back firing on all cylinders, Heaton too. So we have better cover and competition for places. No serious injuries and Barkley, Wes, Heaton, Trez all back and fit and on form and we might keep our form up. Massive chain of ifs though that. 

Â