Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

15 minutes ago, Kingman said:

7th spot looking pretty much nailed on now for a European place given Spurs v Man City league cup final 

Depends on FA cup. Knowing our luck it would be a Cardiff-Portsmouth final like 2008 when we finished 6th and still had to use Intertoto to quality (as Spurs won the league cup but finished 10th or something).

Also didn't qualify for euro in 2004 when 6th as in those days FA cup runners up got in and that was randomly Millwall. And Boro won league cup but finished bottom half.

Would actually be interested how many times in last 20 years 6th place hasn't been good enough for 6th place, get the feeling we're incredibly unlucky in that regard as can't think of too many other seasons like those two.

Edited by VillaChris

On 07/01/2021 at 02:56, VillaChris said:

Depends on FA cup. Knowing our luck it would be a Cardiff-Portsmouth final like 2008 when we finished 6th and still had to use Intertoto to quality (as Spurs won the league cup but finished 10th or something).

Also didn't qualify for euro in 2004 when 6th as in those days FA cup runners up got in and that was randomly Millwall. And Boro won league cup but finished bottom half.

Would actually be interested how many times in last 20 years 6th place hasn't been good enough for 6th place, get the feeling we're incredibly unlucky in that regard as can't think of too many other seasons like those two.

Add to that the fact that the first time they’ve cancelled runners-up going to Europe was when we played the FA cup final against Arsenal. 😅

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Add to that the fact that the first time they’ve cancelled runners-up going to Europe was when we played the FA cup final against Arsenal. 😅

Indeed, Hull got in exactly the same circumstances the previous year, runners up to Arsenal.

Although would've been complete waste of time given our 15/16 level.

Is anyone else looking at the league table and thinking we could still do something? Maybe not the title, but top 6 or even top 4?

Just a few things that jump out right now

- we are 4 points ahead of Wolves with 4 games in hand!

- we are 2 points ahead of Arsenal with 3 games in hand...

- we are 9 points ahead of Brighton in 16th place with 4 games in hand, which makes me feel pretty safe... 

- we are 6 points off 4th place with at least 2 games in hand on all those teams above us, which to me says we are in mix.

Now games in hand don’t mean points, but I would say mid-table with on average 3 games in hand on the rest of league is a pretty decent position! Hopefully the COVID hasn’t broken our stride...if we are lucky it might have been a bit of mid-season break for the players and they come back refreshed...

14 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Is anyone else looking at the league table and thinking we could still do something? Maybe not the title, but top 6 or even top 4?

- we are 9 points ahead of Brighton in 16th place with 4 games in hand, which makes me feel pretty safe... 

- we are 6 points off 4th place with at least 2 games in hand on all those teams above us, which to me says we are in mix.

Now games in hand don’t mean points, but I would say mid-table with on average 3 games in hand on the rest of league is a pretty decent position! Hopefully the COVID hasn’t broken our stride...if we are lucky it might have been a bit of mid-season break for the players and they come back refreshed...

Nah I stopped doing this a while ago. I think we'll have a complete mixed bag of results now due to fixture congestion and our relatively small squad. Think it will be difficult to string a lot of good results together now seeing as we're already 3 games behind others.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GeordieVillan said:

One the flip side likes of Everton, Leicester and even West Ham are starting to get a fair few points clear of us albeit with our large number of games in hand. Chelsea getting the late winner was also a bit annoying.

Going to put a bit of pressure on us to reel off some wins starting from Newcastle to keep up. Good thing with likes of Wolves, Arsenal and Leeds all faltering is we're in a very strong position now to finish a minimum of 10th and hopefully a few places higher.

Southampton losing is good for us. That's a realistic team in top half we can be finishing above. Aside from the win over Liverpool their form hasn't been that good recently and they're struggling to score goals, only 2 goals in last 6 league games now.

Big game there in two weeks. We need to show we can handle their mega press for once as we always struggle against it.

• Like 3

Three games in hand of the three clubs who are currently above and behind us and four in front of Wolves with four games in hand (mind the gap;)). Given the three games we have to make up are Manchester City (a), Newcastle (h) & Everton (h), a reasonable return of 4 - 6 points from these games, would currently see us in 6th - 4th place. Top half looks a realistic target now (a gap could soon develop between the top and bottom half), anything more could see us dusting off our passports next season (for one of the European competitions).

This will all be dependant upon whether this break in games sees us coming back like it has been a mid season break rather than an energy draining couple of weeks. Ten points from safety and seventy points from the title. That is a nice situation to be in and one I would have grabbed with both hands at the end of last season. Enjoy the ride everyone and let us see where this magical mystery trip takes us!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Would be amazing to get an elusive win at the Etihad wouldnt it setting our confidence levels to overdrive for this month of game after game. Would put us in a great position, unexpected wins are the best

I'll be honest, the way 2021 has gone so far for the gaffer and the team, I think they will be on cloud 9 if they come out of the City match with a point. 

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

8 points behind top place with 3 games in hand.   The title challenge is still on!

i make it 11 points personally. but agree title still on!

Â