Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

For once, it doesn’t feel completely ridiculous that we can win a few games. Good times to be us.

Feels like being Villa fan in the 90's again under Atkinson, Little, and Gregory for some reason. More so that era than the couple of good seasons we had under O'Neill for some reason.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I re-watched the Arsenal game yesterday and they got into some really decent scoring positions. Poor decision making and shots coupled with some heroic blocking from our defenders prevented them from scoring.

After properly studying the game, Arsenal didn't play as badly as people are saying. That doesn't take away from our performance of course, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Fair point. On another day if they were more clinical they could have scored 3. But at the same time if we were more clinical we could have scored at least 6!

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point. On another day if they were more clinical they could have scored 3. But at the same time if we were more clinical we could have scored at least 6!

I thought it was similar to the Leeds game.

I thought it was an even contest, even at 1-0. They had a couple of really high quality chances like the Laca and Holding ones.

When we scored our 2nd the life ran out of them. Goals changes games.

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I re-watched the Arsenal game yesterday and they got into some really decent scoring positions. Poor decision making and shots coupled with some heroic blocking from our defenders prevented them from scoring.

After properly studying the game, Arsenal didn't play as badly as people are saying. That doesn't take away from our performance of course, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Arsenal probably deserved a goal based off the chances they created. That's how it goes sometimes though. Southampton definitely didn't deserve 4 based off their chances. That's just how it goes sometimes. 

Don't think anyone is arguing we played the perfect game. One area they definitely need work is our pressing in the middle 3rd. 

Dougie and John, positionally, can be found out at times. The funny part is our front 3 and right side press pretty well but if our opponent can break that initial trap their is always a free man in the middle. 

Hard to suss out why on TV, since the camera is always focused on the ball or a tight shot of a pensive Deano. Something to work on though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's pretty much our run from Boxing day up to end of January!

I swear we have tough fixtures around Christmas/New Year EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

(I could just be imagining this, but I remember it feeling that way at least)

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Arsenal didn't play that bad, but we were by far the better team and could have won by a bigger margin. Only real clear cut chance they had was Lacazette's header.

1.39 - 1.99 according to xG

It's not like we completely battered them but yes a well deserved win.

Also Holding had a really big chance too.

Edited by villalad21

We can't completely stop the opposition from having chances, not even the best teams in the division versus the weakest can do that. Against a team like Arsenal who have some of the best attackers in the league we restricted them about as well as could be expected, if we'd have conceded three it would have been one of those freak results where the oppoy score every chance they get.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Holding one was just a scramble in the box and he put his foot through it. As well as you can defend during a game they'll always be a chance or two from a set piece like that.

Tierney crossing to Lacazette was a quality move though. Just before half time so Arsenal get back to 1-1 and game completely changes for second half and perhaps we're hanging on for the point.

Arsenal to me is just a good match up for us seeing as they're not good as they used to be and lack physicality and pace in central areas.

Always fancy us v them now whereas I still think we'll struggle to get much off the Manchester clubs and Spurs when we play them.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Holding one was just a scramble in the box and he put his foot through it. As well as you can defend during a game they'll always be a chance or two from a set piece like that.

Tierney crossing to Lacazette was a quality move though. Just before half time so Arsenal get back to 1-1 and game completely changes for second half and perhaps we're hanging on for the point.

Arsenal to me is just a good match up for us seeing as they're not good as they used to be and lack physicality and pace in central areas.

Always fancy us v them now whereas I still think we'll struggle to get much off the Manchester clubs and Spurs when we play them.

Yeah.

It's encouraging how even the game were.

We've taken big strides this season.

As for Spurs and United. Kane and Son are the only players i truly fear at Spurs. Bale is nowhere near the player he once was. Lost a yard of pace by the looks of it.

Man U is full of quality players but a subpar coach means that at any time they won't turn up.

44 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Feels like being Villa fan in the 90's again under Atkinson, Little, and Gregory for some reason. More so that era than the couple of good seasons we had under O'Neill for some reason.

Exactly how I feel. I think with Lerner, there was always some question about just how competent he was. Also, for every good player MON signed, he also signed a mediocre player on exorbitant wages. 

With NSWE and Smith, it feels like we aren't just rolling the dice like we did during the Lerner era.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah.

It's encouraging how even the game were.

We've taken big strides this season.

As for Spurs and United. Kane and Son are the only players i truly fear at Spurs. Bale is nowhere near the player he once was. Lost a yard of pace by the looks of it.

Man U is full of quality players but a subpar coach means that at any time they won't turn up.

Man. United is just in our heads although we did play pretty well at Old Trafford and first 20 minutes at VP (when we were still in a terrible run) before that joke penalty completely f***ed us over so perhaps now we match up better v them if we drop deep.

Spurs seem to have the hex over us now, think it's 1 win since the 2007-08 season and it will be a struggle to keep their front 3 and full backs quiet and they also have a physically strong midfield with likes of Sissoko and Hjoberg. Would happily take a point from the VP game whenever we play them. Mourinho is the type who'll show far more respect to us than other manager so far so can see him sitting them deep waiting for us to get forward and out of position.

Would rather play Man. City now than in January when likes of Augero and Mahrez wil be in red hot form.

Edited by VillaChris

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not confident.

Couldn't even beat them under Moyes. Even under OGS last season.

Last season is last season. We beat the champions 7-2 this season!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I swear we have tough fixtures around Christmas/New Year EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

(I could just be imagining this, but I remember it feeling that way at least)

I think last season was the first time we had comparatively easier fixtures around Christmas that I can remember but we fluffed it.

6 points from Sheffield United, Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Southampton.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That McGinn back pass contributed a lot to Arsenal’s xG if I recall correctly.

Â