Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

Our most dangerous foe is an exaggerated sense of our abilities. If we underestimate West Ham then we won't stand a chance.

Defeats to Brighton, Southampton, Leeds and West Ham out of the last five games will be a woryying sign.

But if we can somehow conjure up a win tomorrow then two wins from the last three will put a much better spin on things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Our most dangerous foe is an exaggerated sense of our abilities. If we underestimate West Ham then we won't stand a chance.

Defeats to Brighton, Southampton, Leeds and West Ham out of the last five games will be a woryying sign.

But if we can somehow conjure up a win tomorrow then two wins from the last three will put a much better spin on things.

I want the useless back from early last season who was demanding a newly promoted team reel off back to back wins away to Man. City and home to Liverpool because we were either in or a bit too close to comfort to bottom 3. Anyone know where he is....

Seems there's a massive panic when we lose a game or two but Southampton finished 11th last season losing 16 times which was one more than their amount of victories.

You can finish mid table losing nearly 50% of your league matches so I'm not too concerned just yet as that's probably still the realistic finishing position although I'd like to be somewhere in top 10 just to give more impression to better players we're quickly pushing forward.

Struggle, last season the better teams, this season the lesser teams. These problems may seem unrelated but they are really two parts of the same thing. Smith found a counter spell for the better teams , now we need one for the so called lesser teams, fairer way to phrase it would be teams of similar level to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly we've been good this season. The west ham loss was just a freak in that we beat them in every other stat and should have had another penalty (and score the one we had FFS). The soton result was two direct free kicks which happens about once every 5 years or 4000 games. The only games we didn't turn up for was Leeds and Brighton but the others I think were genuinely unlucky. 

• Like 2

We really should have beaten West Ham and Brighton man. We would have been good value for those wins and we'd actually be joint top right now. It's cool though, I rather challenge from the shadows. Hype kills teams. Slow and steady.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Honestly we've been good this season. The west ham loss was just a freak in that we beat them in every other stat and should have had another penalty (and score the one we had FFS). The soton result was two direct free kicks which happens about once every 5 years or 4000 games. The only games we didn't turn up for was Leeds and Brighton but the others I think were genuinely unlucky. 

Agreed. And Brighton was straight after an international break where quite a few of our players featured, I think

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We really should have beaten West Ham and Brighton man. We would have been good value for those wins and we'd actually be joint top right now. It's cool though, I rather challenge from the shadows. Hype kills teams. Slow and steady.

Even itself out apparently.

Today was a daylight robbery.

We had no right getting away with the 3 points

Edited by villalad21

Don't see 7 points as unrealistic for next 3. Burnley won't be easy with two key first teamers suspended but they'll sit back and let us have the ball, need to be beating WBA given their level. Palace tough one to call on Boxing day. Barkley getting back in next 7 days is needed.

25 points by not even the halfway stage would be brilliant and far above what I predicted in September. Another 10 points and we're safe and can start properly targeting top half finish.

This season is presenting a fantastic opportunity for an outsider to win a title or grab a top 4 place. Stay within a win or two of top spot at the turn of the year and you’re still well in the hunt. We might even see a meaningful January window if a few teams are still well in the hunt

Our first choice XI is just about capable of a top 6 finish with a bit of luck.

Our squad isn’t.

So it just comes down to player availability. Lose Grealish / Watkins / Douglas Luiz / Mings for an extended period and we’re actually struggling to beat most teams at this level IMO, unless we spend in the Jan transfer window.

In the Wolves game you could see how losing Barkley’s threat at 10 made it easier for Wolves to double up on Grealish, so there’s lots of these little knock on effects when you lose a player.

I’ll be happy with anything above 12th I think, but wouldn’t be massively surprised if we managed top 7, given how strange a season it’s been.

• Thanks 1

Â