Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

3 hours ago, hong0311 said:

That McGinn back pass contributed a lot to Arsenal’s xG if I recall correctly.

That's the Partey shot they counted. I couldn't figure out what shot they were talking about. 

Also, our xG is deceptively low because OGs count for zero.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

So Ake goes off injured for Holland, and Gomez is injured at the England camp.... our title hopes just keep getting better and better :D

Cue Tyrone running into Jack, wiping both out for the rest of the season 

• Haha 4

On 11/11/2020 at 15:52, villa89 said:

I think we'll struggle against teams who sit back and let us have the ball. We are built to counter attack. 

Two goals against Arsenal was against established defence. We still carved them open. 

To me it seems that it's not the degree of counter attacking or not, but our opponent's degree of aggressiveness and will to fight and duel. So, we need to be better at not losing our cool when pressured and hounded. Hopefully we learn to handle this better throughout the season.

• Like 1

I maybe getting a tiny bit ahead of myself, you know how football goes through cycles of clubs dominating for a time and obviously Man United have had a period, but does anyone else suspect Manchester United are on a bit of a downward descent, yes they have a shed ton of cash and supporters and finished 4th last year, but overall, for me they are becoming a bit of an average club, surely the top players don’t dream of signing for Manchester United as much. 

I can see Ole getting sacked this year and possibly Arteta, I sense a change in the football landscape is on the cusp of happening. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 08:23, S-Platt said:

Christmas and New Year 1989/90 

Boxing Day: Villa 3-0 Man Utd

30th Dec: Villa 2-1 Arsenal

New Years Day: Chelsea 0-3 Villa

Those were the days my friends!!

Wasn’t that when none of the Chelsea were above 5’5? 

6 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I maybe getting a tiny bit ahead of myself, you know how football goes through cycles of clubs dominating for a time and obviously Man United have had a period, but does anyone else suspect Manchester United are on a bit of a downward descent, yes they have a shed ton of cash and supporters and finished 4th last year, but overall, for me they are becoming a bit of an average club, surely the top players don’t dream of signing for Manchester United as much. 

I can see Ole getting sacked this year and possibly Arteta, I sense a change in the football landscape is on the cusp of happening. 

Not really.   The big 4 clubs are so far ahead of everyone else with revenue that they can easily spend £200-300m every season if they need to be make sure they stay near the top.

Anyone not in the top 6 just can't compete with that.  

The worst that can happen to Man Utd is they finish 6th for a couple of seasons and then drift for a few years finishing 3rd-5th without actually winning the title.

Just now, ender4 said:

Not really.   The big 4 clubs are so far ahead of everyone else with revenue that they can easily spend £200-300m every season if they need to be make sure they stay near the top.

Anyone not in the top 6 just can't compete with that.  

The worst that can happen to Man Utd is they finish 6th for a couple of seasons and then drift for a few years finishing 3rd-5th without actually winning the title.

and Villa are probably 10-15 years behind Man Utd in term of revenue, player attraction, fans, global brand, etc.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:13, Rob182 said:

So Ake goes off injured for Holland, and Gomez is injured at the England camp.... our title hopes just keep getting better and better :D

Until one of our players goes down

**** "Nations League", give me a break

There's a raging pandemic going on, you'd think they'd just do domestic leagues this season. Keep the players as safe as possible. But no, they must continue to line their pockets.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Hence why they've all started dreaming up little projects to take back control and protect their own interests.

• Like 3

Salah out for Liverpool for Leicester game with covid. Joins VVD, Alex-Arnold, Gomez and perhaps Fabiano so pretty much their regular back 4, standby CB and regular front 3 player.

Vardy must be chuckling at that. I can see Leicester winning at Anfield and considering they'd have already played Man. City, Liverpool and Arsenal away (and us) they'd fancy to be at the top going into second half of season I think.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Salah out for Liverpool for Leicester game with covid. Joins VVD, Alex-Arnold, Gomez and perhaps Fabiano so pretty much their regular back 4, standby CB and regular front 3 player.

Vardy must be chuckling at that. I can see Leicester winning at Anfield and considering they'd have already played Man. City, Liverpool and Arsenal away (and us) they'd fancy to be at the top going into second half of season I think.

I liked it when you said (and us) lol. It's really interesting to be considered that way. Anyway, Liverpool could still win their game, or atleast draw. Also Leicester still to play Spurs, Chelsea, Utd, Soton and Everton. All are good teams. To be fair, who look unstoppable at the moment are Chelsea. City could click on anytime. Spurs has Mourinho which can either benefit them, or him not putting teams to the sword can make him lose a lot of easy points (such as WBA).

To be honest, I don't want Liverpool to get beaten at the Anfield  until  we  play   them  (we used to like playing there such  as Emirates). So  a draw would   be fantastic  and would keep us on   touch  with the  race. A Man City draw with Spurs too would be fantastic. Same goes with Wolves   and Soton. Chelsea have the easiest fixture but Newcastle can always do something.

8 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I liked it when you said (and us) lol. It's really interesting to be considered that way. Anyway, Liverpool could still win their game, or atleast draw. Also Leicester still to play Spurs, Chelsea, Utd, Soton and Everton. All are good teams. To be fair, who look unstoppable at the moment are Chelsea. City could click on anytime. Spurs has Mourinho which can either benefit them, or him not putting teams to the sword can make him lose a lot of easy points (such as WBA).

To be honest, I don't want Liverpool to get beaten at the Anfield  until  we  play   them  (we used to like playing there such  as Emirates). So  a draw would   be fantastic  and would keep us on   touch  with the  race. A Man City draw with Spurs too would be fantastic. Same goes with Wolves   and Soton. Chelsea have the easiest fixture but Newcastle can always do something.

Spurs have Man. City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Wolves, Liverpool and Leicester all before even Boxing day I think so I'd be disappointed if we weren't above them. If they're still 2nd after that run they're serious title contenders this season.

Leicester's three after Anfield are Fulham and Brighton at home and Sheffield United away so I can actually see them building a bit of a lead at the top. Like us they also have a tough xmas/January period which I think will level everything out.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not really an excuse for partying with zero regards for covid is it? 

I don’t blame him. Brothers wedding is a big thing and I’m sure he would have got permission from the club before attending. Pretty sure he also would have been adhering to the laws of the country he was in.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 20:34, Laughable Chimp said:

Well last years champions lost 3-0 to a Watford who would later get relegated and I think this Leeds team is better than that Watford team.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Â