Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

In January if we bring in 1 versatile player and and a pacy forward I genuinely believe that we can finish top half. If we don't then I still believe we should finish around 12th. It all depends on the squad. Would love us to sign Harry Souttar who at 21 is one for the future and will provide real competition for Mings and Konsa.

Obviously we'll get a psychological title boost if we sign the precontract agreement with Messi but he'll have to settle for a different shirt number as he won't be getting the 10 shirt. 

14 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

In January if we bring in 1 versatile player and and a pacy forward I genuinely believe that we can finish top half. If we don't then I still believe we should finish around 12th. It all depends on the squad. Would love us to sign Harry Souttar who at 21 is one for the future and will provide real competition for Mings and Konsa.

Obviously we'll get a psychological title boost if we sign the precontract agreement with Messi but he'll have to settle for a different shirt number as he won't be getting the 10 shirt. 

Honestly can’t see that happening. He’ll want first team football which we'll not be able to give him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Brighton and West Ham play the way we don't like. The other 4 we can probably set a record in one of them.

I dont think West Ham players know how they play under Moyesy 😂

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

D L D L W W

Thats 8 from the next 18 available and should leave us around 9th having played a 3rd of the season. Which would be fantastic.

Surely you mean D W W W W W?

Thats 16 points and should see us top of the table, which would be fantastic. 😂

• Haha 1

What a brilliant start to the season and now with the table starting to take shape things are looking promising.

Full credit to Dean - got his man Watkins (who lets face it must be better than any of us thought), Barkley, Cash and Martinez.

If things are to continue we need to hope we stay relatively injury free until January. We have a small squad and are getting Wesley back in Dec/Jan, he'll give us a different option to Watkins. But with the high intensity this season, little to no break we really need reinforcements in January because we will get injuries to key players if we can't rotate at all.

If we really have the money then I think we will strengthen in January. We need at least another CM, we have no one to replace Barkley or McGinn. Nakamba can replace Luiz at least for this season but being objective, Hourihane is not a an adequate replacement for either McGinn or Barkley.

For the three forward positions we have Trez, Watkins, Grealish, Traore, Wesley. El Ghazi again not good enough and ideally we'd need another one there.

This really is the season to push on and I think the NSWE board knows that.

After last night it's very much:

ParallelEsteemedHake-size_restricted.gif

And if this was the case:

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Shows with all talk of salary caps and top lot going off to euro superleagues to level the playing field all that was needed for more competitive field was no crowds and hardly a pre season.

Can spend all the money in the world but if players are unfit and lacking motivation with no fans in ground then results will level out between the teams.

City should be absolutely thriving this season.

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Upcoming fixtures look very favourable on paper but with the way the league and our form is going I'm not sure if I'd prefer to be playing the top teams.

Yes just looked. Our next seven we should be able to get a fair amount of points from them. Nobody to fear. 

15 points from our first 7 games is pretty nuts.

Honestly, if you had asked me what i would have accepted as ok for a points tally so far, being realistic i would probably have said i would have hoped/expected we would be sitting on between 7 - 10 points, with anything else being a bonus. (Sheff Utd - D, Fulham - W, Liverpool - L, Leicester - L, Leeds - W/D, S'hton - W/D, Arsenal - L)

Lets not forget in our first 7 games we have faces Arsenal, Leicester & Liverpool. (ie: 45% ish of our games so far have been against top 6 sides), thats especially amazing considering i think we had the worst form against the top 6 sides last season in the whole league......

When was last team we had that you thought we are capable of beating any team any day ? even under O'Neill , I think that team had a ceiling , ofc let's not get carried away 40pts is our mandate 

Edited by pete101
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, hong0311 said:

I don't like Brighton or West Ham. They seem like the teams that we struggle against. Brighton has been extremely unlucky this season despite playing some good football.

Wolves can always be dangerous.

We didn't struggle too much against them last season. Unbeaten in fact

There is no reason to fear Brighton.

They are just a poor man's Villa.

West Ham on the other hand have real quality. Antonio is crucial for them. If Haller plays instead our chances of winning increases a lot.

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, pete101 said:

When was last team we had that you thought we are capable of beating any team any day ? even under O'Neill , I think that team had a ceiling , ofc let's not get carried away 40pts is our mandate 

In those days I always thought we could give the teams "a real game", but now I really think we can beat any team. Only one I'm not sure on yet is City. That will be the real litmus test. Leeds also seem to have our number. But everyone else is fair game. 

• Like 1

it will be interesting to see where we end up this season.

current PPG avg. is 2.15, if that form continued we would be on 82 points at season end (which is impossible ofc :P )

our highest points finishes in the last 25 years have been:

63 points - 1995/96 season - 1.68 avg. PPG - finished 4th

61 points - 1996/97 season - 1.61 avg. PPG - finished 5th

60 points - 2007/08 season - 1.57 avg. PPG - finished 6th

62 points - 2008/09 season - 1.63 avg. PPG - finished 6th

64 points - 2009/10 season - 1.68 avg PPG - finished 6th

Last season we were 0.92 avg. PPG, if we now averaged that for the rest of the remaining season we would be on 43 points. (43 points would have placed us 14th/15th last season depending on goal difference)

So.....in order to get to 60+ points this season, for our remaining games (31 games), we need to turn last season 0.92 avg. PPG in to 1.45 avg. PPG for the remainder of this season.

In normal speak, we will get to 60 points if we accumulate 45 points from our remaining 31 games, ie: remaining W/D/L looks something like:

Played 31 -  W 13, D 7, L 11 (this gives 46 points)

So season finish would be 61 points and a final stat of W 18, D 7, L 13.

61 points would have got us 6th last season (although in most season you need in the region of 62-68 points to secure a 6th place finish)

will be interesting to see whether we can push the 60 points mark? (ps. - lets get to 40 points first :P )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â