Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Another great omen.😉

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1496409.stm

And the following season aswell early on....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2254743.stm

Back when football was far more interesting. Leeds had a cracking team in that era tbf.

2 Australians scoring the goals.....

... those were the days 😢

• Like 2

I've just seen how good our next 7 fixtures are.

Aston Villa    v    Brighton & Hove Albion        
West Ham United    v    Aston Villa    
Aston Villa    v    Newcastle United    
Wolverhampton Wanderers    v    Aston Villa    
Aston Villa    v    Burnley    
West Bromwich Albion    v    Aston Villa    
Aston Villa    v    Crystal Palace    

We should be looking to win at least 4-5 of those.

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

With how this season has gone so far, I would be more comfortable facing Chelsea, United, Spurs and City than Brighton, Burnley and WBA... :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

They looks promising all right. I think I’m going to predict:

Aston Villa    v    Brighton     W
West Ham   v    Aston Villa    L
Aston Villa    v    Newcastle  W
Wolves   v    Aston Villa    L
Aston Villa    v    Burnley    W
West Brom    v    Aston Villa    W
Aston Villa    v    Crystal Palace    W

So I think... we could get 5 wins out of that. I would be absolutely thrilled if that happened.

Edited by alreadyexists

26 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

every time in the past 10 years when we've had a favourable run of games like that... thats when we fall apart and end up with close to zero points from the easy games!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MentalM said:

With how this season has gone so far, I would be more comfortable facing Chelsea, United, Spurs and City than Brighton, Burnley and WBA... :D

United will probably have Poch in charge and be on a 7 game winning run by the time we face them

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

United will probably have Poch in charge and be on a 7 game winning run by the time we face them

All the more reason for Villa to hammer them 6-1 then given this season's results against star managers...

I remember seeing a motivational speaker once and one thing he said stuck with me. It was along the lines of:

If you can keep moving forward while the wind is against you, when the wind changes you'll have learnt to be strong, you'll have the wind with you, and you'll tear through everything in your way.

I can't help feeling that's what's happened with Villa. The strength developed in adversity in the championship then fighting relegation in the PL has become ingrained.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re obsessed with shots against.  Many of them are from distance or half chances so it really doesn’t mean that much. 

Our xG against backs you up as well. We have allowed 9 goals on an xGa of 8.4. 

Slightly over performing on xG thanks to the deflected goals from the Liverpool game. We are exactly where we should be league wise based in our performances. 

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Our xG against backs you up as well. We have allowed 9 goals on an xGa of 8.4. 

Slightly over performing on xG thanks to the deflected goals from the Liverpool game. We are exactly where we should be league wise based in our performances. 

I re-watched the Arsenal game yesterday and they got into some really decent scoring positions. Poor decision making and shots coupled with some heroic blocking from our defenders prevented them from scoring.

After properly studying the game, Arsenal didn't play as badly as people are saying. That doesn't take away from our performance of course, but there is definitely room for improvement.

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think we'll struggle against teams who sit back and let us have the ball. We are built to counter attack. 

I don't...  The teams in the top half of the Premier League can do both and Smith had us ripping apart teams in the Championship when we had most of the possession.  This is the perfect time to get the team used to doing that again.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I re-watched the Arsenal game yesterday and they got into some really decent scoring positions. Poor decision making and shots coupled with some heroic blocking from our defenders prevented them from scoring.

After properly studying the game, Arsenal didn't play as badly as people are saying. That doesn't take away from our performance of course, but there is definitely room for improvement.

It was the polar opposite for us to the Southampton game where Saints weren't all that great overall, but literally everything they kicked went in. 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think we'll struggle against teams who sit back and let us have the ball. We are built to counter attack. 

I honestly think with the quality we now have we can both counter and break down a packed defence, Arsenal were fully set defensively in their own box before Grealish and Barkley toyed with them to find an opening for our first goal.

Southampton were sat back in the second half, Fulham were deep too. So were both Leicester and Sheffield United come to think of it, although we did struggle to break both down.

In fact the only defence we haven't scored against is the most open one we've played. So **** annoying neither of Grealish's chances went in.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

So I think... we could get 5 wins out of that. I would be absolutely thrilled if that happened.

That would mean we win 10 games out of 14 which is incredible. We really would be title contenders if that happens by Christmas.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That would mean we win 10 games out of 14 which is incredible. We really would be title contenders if that happens by Christmas.

For once, it doesn’t feel completely ridiculous that we can win a few games. Good times to be us.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

This seems quite reasonable. 

If we do that we will have almost the same points as we did the whole of last season (30)!

• Like 1

Â