Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

21 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Brighton and West Ham play the way we don't like. The other 4 we can probably set a record in one of them.

Brighton are a neat and tidy team with some good technical players but they don't scare me half as much as Southampton and Leeds with the pressing so I'm confident we'll have too much for them as their league results have been really poor in last few weeks.

West Ham historically has been a cancel each out type of opponent, two draws last season (albeit in different circumstnaces) and plenty in other seasons so that's probably what will happen. Would be good if Antonio was still out.

We're more than capable of taking 4 points out of the next two games.

Edit: Wolves away is the most difficult one for us in that run imo. They had our number last year and with their style I don't think it's a great match up for us as they're annoyingly very effective at getting a result when they go into the lead but we have far more in final third to worry them.

We'll likely be above them going into that game for the first time in a while in league meetings so they'll be extra motivated from that to beat us aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

it will be interesting to see where we end up this season.

current PPG avg. is 2.15, if that form continued we would be on 82 points at season end (which is impossible ofc :P )

our highest points finishes in the last 25 years have been:

63 points - 1995/96 season - 1.68 avg. PPG - finished 4th

61 points - 1996/97 season - 1.61 avg. PPG - finished 5th

60 points - 2007/08 season - 1.57 avg. PPG - finished 6th

62 points - 2008/09 season - 1.63 avg. PPG - finished 6th

64 points - 2009/10 season - 1.68 avg PPG - finished 6th

Last season we were 0.92 avg. PPG, if we now averaged that for the rest of the remaining season we would be on 43 points. (43 points would have placed us 14th/15th last season depending on goal difference)

So.....in order to get to 60+ points this season, for our remaining games (31 games), we need to turn last season 0.92 avg. PPG in to 1.45 avg. PPG for the remainder of this season.

In normal speak, we will get to 60 points if we accumulate 45 points from our remaining 31 games, ie: remaining W/D/L looks something like:

Played 31 -  W 13, D 7, L 11 (this gives 46 points)

So season finish would be 61 points and a final stat of W 18, D 7, L 13.

61 points would have got us 6th last season (although in most season you need in the region of 62-68 points to secure a 6th place finish)

will be interesting to see whether we can push the 60 points mark? (ps. - lets get to 40 points first :P )

Interesting that 98/99 isn't on that list as that was if I remember correctly, the last time we were ever top of the table, and I remember a late date like Christmas mentioned. We must have fell off pretty hard then.

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting that 98/99 isn't on that list as that was if I remember correctly, the last time we were ever top of the table, and I remember a late date like Christmas mentioned. We must have fell off pretty hard then.

we ended up with 55 points in 98/99.

I just checked, ur right, of the first 10 games we won 6, drew 4 and lost 0.

However we lost our last 3 games, and also had a 4 game losing streak in Feb/Mar, we also only won 3 of our last 16 games.......ouch! last 16 games were W 3, D 3, L 10....... (prior to that, played 22, W 12, D 7, L 3)

blimey....still finished 6th too lol.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we ended up with 55 points in 98/99.

I just checked, ur right, of the first 10 games we won 6, drew 4 and lost 0.

However we lost our last 3 games, and also had a 4 game losing streak in Feb/Mar, we also only won 3 of our last 16 games.......ouch! last 16 games were W 3, D 3, L 10....... (prior to that, played 22, W 12, D 7, L 3)

blimey....

We had a relatively small squad. Juninho wanted to join us too but our Deadliest refused to pay 7million for him. Allegedly.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

We had a relatively small squad. Juninho wanted to join us too but our Deadliest refused to pay 7million for him. Allegedly.

ye remember that rumour.........would have loved Juninho at Villa!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We were top of the table around Christmas 2001 IIRC - then Gregory quit a few week's later because Ellis wouldn't strengthen. 

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Nice article from a stats boffin confirming what we all know...the title is basically a formality:

Aston Villa, are they just on a good run, or are they...good? 

It's been some start to the season for Villa, but are they just in the midst of a purple patch, or is this good form here to stay?

https://marginalpains.substack.com/p/aston-villa-are-they-just-on-a-good

Good article. A lot will come down to injuries and suspensions. Lose one or more first team players and we are significantly weakened. Hopefully we sign one or two players in January to improve quality in the squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Well last years champions lost 3-0 to a Watford who would later get relegated and I think this Leeds team is better than that Watford team.

Well thats that then!

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good article. A lot will come down to injuries and suspensions. Lose one or more first team players and we are significantly weakened. Hopefully we sign one or two players in January to improve quality in the squad.

Don't forget Barkley can't play against Chelsea so that's 2 games we are defo weaker.  Upto Hourihane to step up and show what we are missing!

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Nice article from a stats boffin confirming what we all know...the title is basically a formality:

Aston Villa, are they just on a good run, or are they...good? 

It's been some start to the season for Villa, but are they just in the midst of a purple patch, or is this good form here to stay?

https://marginalpains.substack.com/p/aston-villa-are-they-just-on-a-good

Interesting that we have conceded the 7th most amount of shots against.

It is indeed looking like Smith has returned to his expansive football and ditched the post lockdown tactics.

But by having a fantastic goalkeeper and better defenders coupled with deadly attacking players we are getting away with it and it's damn exciting to watch.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Interesting that we have conceded the 7th most amount of shots against.

It is indeed looking like Smith has returned to his expansive football and ditched the post lockdown tactics.

But by having a fantastic goalkeeper and better defenders coupled with deadly attacking players we are getting away with it and it's damn exciting to watch.

You’re obsessed with shots against.  Many of them are from distance or half chances so it really doesn’t mean that much. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 21:54, Keyblade said:

It was a spectacular collapse, even worse than 2008/09 imo when we only got as high as 3rd. Shearer kicking Ugo in the face was a massive turning point as we went to pot defensively straight after. Bosnich and Dublin also missed chunks of that season injured.

We finished somehow below even West Ham in the end who got 5th which was their highest league placing since 1892....

Edited by VillaChris

Â