Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

On 13/11/2020 at 10:22, Tommo_b said:

I maybe getting a tiny bit ahead of myself, you know how football goes through cycles of clubs dominating for a time and obviously Man United have had a period, but does anyone else suspect Manchester United are on a bit of a downward descent, yes they have a shed ton of cash and supporters and finished 4th last year, but overall, for me they are becoming a bit of an average club, surely the top players don’t dream of signing for Manchester United as much. 

I can see Ole getting sacked this year and possibly Arteta, I sense a change in the football landscape is on the cusp of happening. 

AC Milan are an example of this, I know it’s a lot different than Man Utd’s case. But it definitely happens every now and then.

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Not the Dogheads. They can get ****. I hope they get relegated and their crooked antics blow up in their faces.

To be honest I like it when there are Midlands teams around. It’s just being behind them the most annoying part. I think having a rival as Wolves is much better than having SHA. Rivaling with Wolves for top spots rather than survival or promotion pushes. I’d like WBA to stay. It’s always good to have derbies and big matches around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

It’s a strange season. Before the season started I was getting majorly disillusioned with the premier league and thinking that the big 6 were so entrenched now that how could any other team reasonably challenge in the future.  Now we are seeing the most open league in years with the financial juganauts of Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City badly underperforming and Liverpool running into an injury crisis. 

I think some of this is down to the strange covid, no fans situation but whatever the cause this is a golden opportunity to do something special in league, similar to 2016 when the big 6 all underperformed and opened the door for Leicester. I hope we can take advantage and do something special like break the top 6 or 8. If not us then I would even welcome Saints, Leicester or Wolves to do the same to at least break up the monopoly at the top of the league. The usual squawking about project big picture and Euro super league has just reinforced how this league needs this shake up to remind the big 6 that they ain’t all that.

I don’t think it’s so much that the teams you mention are badly under performing, more like other teams have closed the gap after teams like Man City and Liverpool have peaked at a very high level that cannot be sustained by anyone for too long. Man City absolutely peaked when pipping Liverpool to the title in 2018/19, and Liverpool’s title success 2019/20 was their peak. I honestly don’t see how either of those title winning teams can be bettered/improved, we’re talking about teams that accumulated 100, 98, & 99 points when the average since the mid 90s has been 87. So we’ve had 3 or 4 seasons of exceptionally high points totals. With other clubs now able to retain top players (because they can pay much improved salary’s with the TV money) the gap of recent years is being shrunk. I think the “big” clubs are finding it increasingly difficult to pluck the better players from premier league rivals, and so they can’t just nullify a rival by nicking their top players. In the past that’s exactly what Man City and Chelsea did to clubs, poaching their best players to derail them. 

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest I like it when there are Midlands teams around. It’s just being behind them the most annoying part. I think having a rival as Wolves is much better than having SHA. Rivaling with Wolves for top spots rather than survival or promotion pushes. I’d like WBA to stay. It’s always good to have derbies and big matches around.

Yeah I get that. The midlands has been such a powerhouse of football historically. Except Blose who have always been second or third tier clowns.

It would be nice to have some midlands rivals at the top instead of the usual North West / London mafia. Nominal rivals only, who never sctually win anything.

Imagine after MON walked out in 2010, someone told you that Villa will spiral to rock bottom, crashing out of the league entirely and it would take them 10 years to bounce back to the level they're currently at. They will also have a genuinely world class player in their ranks, that happens to be in the academy right now. What a rollercoaster.

• Like 3

On 13/11/2020 at 17:59, ender4 said:

Not really.   The big 4 clubs are so far ahead of everyone else with revenue that they can easily spend £200-300m every season if they need to be make sure they stay near the top.

Anyone not in the top 6 just can't compete with that.  

The worst that can happen to Man Utd is they finish 6th for a couple of seasons and then drift for a few years finishing 3rd-5th without actually winning the title.

one can dream...

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine after MON walked out in 2010, someone told you that Villa will spiral to rock bottom, crashing out of the league entirely and it would take them 10 years to bounce back to the level they're currently at. They will also have a genuinely world class player in their ranks, that happens to be in the academy right now. What a rollercoaster.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 15:49, bobzy said:

I swear we have tough fixtures around Christmas/New Year EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

(I could just be imagining this, but I remember it feeling that way at least)

Last year we had 

Soton H

Norwich H

Watford A

Burnley A

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, chappy said:

Last year we had 

Soton H

Norwich H

Watford A

Burnley A

The Norwich game make me shudder in memory. We were so, so, so bad. Yet still won. I flew back from Germany the morning of that game to watch it. It was not worth the journey.

Â