Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

We've already got 25% of points needed for top 6 I think. 60 points usually gets you 6th place, indeed 58 points got us 6th in 2007/08.

Perhaps it will be a point or two higher given how poor the bottom 4 have been so poor but eventually one of them will pick up form and start to take points off top teams as Burnley did from January last year.

We're in a very good position from so few games played and it could get even better. Another 15 points by mid January is pretty realistic with the fixtures we have coming up. Worst case for me is 5 points from Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle and then we have Burnley, West Brom and Palace over xmas which are all winnable amongst the tougher games (which we've shown we're very capable of winning).

Having 30 points by not even halfway stage would be in line with what we were doing in the MON seasons so would set up a very exciting second half particularly if we can get a decent player or two in the January window.

Stay tuned.

• Like 2

Still in the title challenge but we need to be more ruthless with defending and taking our chances. Need to stay unbeaten now until January otherwise we'll fall too far back. 

Oh and bump.

Edited by Sulberto21

We're a  bit homeless this season, neither relegation anxiety nor top 6 contenders (barring some fixes) - possibly in need of a mid-table thread in which we offer no hope or doom. Personally I appreciate such limbo. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We're a  bit homeless this season, neither relegation anxiety nor top 6 contenders (barring some fixes) - possibly in need of a mid-table thread in which we offer no hope or doom. Personally I appreciate such limbo. 

Mid table obscurity is absolutely fine by me, especially since we sprinkle it with games like the Plop and Arsenal wins.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

Would be nice to finish above a side we haven't for a long time.

Last league finish over Arsenal was 1996 season. I don't see them finishing higher than 8th so I think we could be within range of that unless we go on long winless run.

Was going to say Man. United aswell but looks like another winning run for them after OGS was one game from the sack so they'll probably firmly establish themselves in top 6 before too long.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 15:15, VillaChris said:

Worst case for me is 5 points from Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle 

😬😬

I can see us losing to one of West Ham or Newcastle. West Ham took five points from Leicester, Spurs and City, and are on a bit of a run. Decent side.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, turvontour said:

So it's in our hands to go top of the league on Friday night. Is that right?

Seems odd to be saying that about Villa in December, especially after losing 3 straight home games.

We'd need to win by 4 goals over the two games if I've counted the GDs correctly so would need a big win v Newcastle.

Still not a bad position to be in to go into tomorrow night.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

West Ham will cut us to shreds likes razor sharp scissors easing through the flimsiest of tracing paper.

Knowing Villa that could be possible like Leeds did to us but just as likely knowing the Villa we could to them what we did to Liverpool.  

Or if West Ham have an off day like they so often we could do them like we did Arsenal on their off day.  

Interesting to see what Villa team turn up and also what West Ham turns up because both have a habit of extremes either good or bad.

Â