Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People are getting ahead of themselves. Just because we had a good start and they looked a bit meh after selling their best player, it doesn't mean that's gonna happen. I'd say it's hugely unlikely. Over a full season this good form, bad form tend to even itself out. 

BUT you make your own destiny so to speak. And just like Leicester showed us in 2015, you can win stuff if you show heart and ability over a full season. I'm not saying it's impossible to do really well this season. In fact I want us to be a club that goes for it. We need that winning mentality and spirit. But starting so early building us up like this is just doing us a massive disfavour. I'd say one of the big reasons Leicester made it in 2015, was that nobody took them serious. Even half way in the season, or in February, people were like "they won't make it. They will fall off. No chance". This helped them massively, cause a small club like Leicester had a much easier time to manage expectations. We need keep that down here at this club to. 

Jota didn’t get in to the team. They have better players.  If we finish above Wolves it should mean we’ve had a great season.

Agree with rest of your post.

This is to not to say I think we can finish above Wolves and I'm not really bothered whether we do or not, I think we should be aiming or midtable and not focus on specific teams, but I say I'm not sure where this idea comes from that Jota couldn't get into the Wolves team, he made 34 appearances for them last season and most of them were games he started, he was used a lot more than the likes of Neto and Podence, in fact I think he pretty much played as much for them as Adama did, only reason he wasn't being selected for their team this season was because they knew that he was being sold, if they could have kept him I'm sure they would have and he'd be a starter for them.

Our players seem to be taking the confidence into their international matches.

Grealish, assist and MoTM

Mings, assist and clean sheet

McGinn, MoTM and scored a pen in the shootout

Hourihane, unsure but scored a decent pen in their shootout.

Be interesting to see how they all get on over the remaining games as well as Trez, Luiz and Martinez

I'd be more than happy with a scrappy one-goal win on what feels like a bad day after Liverpool. Couldn't care less about comments from media, Villa will get their plaudits if we manage to play close to this level consistently over some time.

It's absolutely reasonable to expect some variation still while the players fine tune stuff, though I have to say this: In all the time I've been a Villa fan (late 90s+) I've never looked forward to the next game quite like now. Just bring it on already. 😄

I will be happy with this season if we just never flirt with relegation, i would be very happy if we managed a comfortable mid table finish, i would be really really happy if we got top 10, if we got top 6 i would probably run up and down the street naked screaming like a little girl.......

In terms of where we are now, we have 9 points after 3 games, last season our average points per game was 0.921, so if we average that for the remaining 35 games, that would give us 41 points (or 15th position based on last season points tallies), obviously i'm hoping for more than matching our average points per game from last year.

If we could manage and average of 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss per 3 games, for all games remaining (35 games), this would give us an average of 1.333 points per game (for games left to play), or a total points tally of 55, last year this would have placed us in 9th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And only played in three games, from January until the end of the season Jota was used a lot more. That's not to say Podence and Neto can't be very good players for Wolves, but it's wrong to say that Jota couldn't get in their team because those two were better than him, last season he nearly played just as much as Adama did

Interesting times. I always begin every season as an optimist, more in hope than anything else. However, this season, I am a bit more hopeful than I have been for over ten years. I’ll stick my neck out and say that our current midfield is the best since 2007/8 (with Grealish probably better) Goals have been a huge problem for years and Watkins could become one of our most prolific goal scorers in decades.  I still have some worries about the defence, particularly Matt Targett and because Mings tries to be to too clever. 

While i am not daft enough to forecast we will attain a high position, I reckon we will finish top ten, give a few more teams a hammering and prove the Liverpool result wasn’t a flash in the pan,

• Like 2

On 09/10/2020 at 16:52, villalad21 said:

Leicester will be a good test to see where we stand.

Tell you what. If we blow them away, media will have to start taking us seriously.

We have a bundle of injuries, so I wouldn't get carried away. 

Thought this would be a short lived tongue in cheek thread but somehow got 13 pages so far...crazy times.

Nothing wrong with dreaming but we had fantastic starts to seasons generally under MON yet at the end were clinging onto 6th place. Same in 98/99 season for those that remember. It's a long old season for a reason.

That said another 20 wins should get us top 4.....😉 Being serious I actually wonder how the board would play it if we were still in top 4 or very close to it during January. We've had a nasty habit in the past of not doing much when we've been closing to breaking into elite and then get to March and wonder why our key players are all out of gas.

Just looking back to MON  years and in 07/08 we had a really good run over xmas period and were a few points off 4th and all we did that window was sign Wayne Routledge. Don't think we got anyone in 09/10 January window even though we were still in both domestic cups aswell.

08/09 we got Heskey, Arsenal got Arshavin (around Mid Feb) and again it simply fizzled out for us.

I'd like to think given we still feel a bit light in depth upfront and in central defence we're keeping our powder dry to get two more players in January so could be another exciting month if we're in top 6. We have plenty of winnable fixtures up to January so it's not impossible and we'll only be playing once a week compared to everyone in europe.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Thought this would be a short lived tongue in cheek thread but somehow got 13 pages so far...crazy times.

Nothing wrong with dreaming but we had fantastic starts to seasons generally under MON yet at the end were clinging onto 6th place. Same in 98/99 season for those that remember. It's a long old season for a reason.

That said another 20 wins should get us top 4.....😉 Being serious I actually wonder how the board would play it if we were still in top 4 or very close to it during January. We've had a nasty habit in the past of not doing much when we've been closing to breaking into elite and then get to March and wonder why our key players are all out of gas.

Just looking back to MON  years and in 07/08 we had a really good run over xmas period and were a few points off 4th and all we did that window was sign Wayne Routledge. Don't think we got anyone in 09/10 January window even though we were still in both domestic cups aswell.

08/09 we got Heskey, Arsenal got Arshavin (around Mid Feb) and again it simply fizzled out for us.

I'd like to think given we still feel a bit light in depth upfront and in central defence we're keeping our powder dry to get two more players in January so could be another exciting month if we're in top 6. We have plenty of winnable fixtures up to January so it's not impossible and we'll only be playing once a week compared to everyone in europe.

You can laugh at the thread as much as you want. If we keep winning football games it will keep staying highly relevant and serious.

Â