Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

I don't think we've got a squad to rival Wolves depth in their last two 7th placed finishes since promotion, they've had Traore coming off the bench since they were promoted.

Anything above will be tough to break into, but I honestly think it's time to start dreaming again for Villa, as I've said, we're a chance in any fixture we play.

Everton may rival European placing this year, Ancelotti is one of the best managers of all time, and their squad is much better than the one that finished 8th two years ago.

Leicester are a good side who will win games and challenge top half, you'd think. Especially after finishing top 5 last season.

Liverpool, Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham will surely contest the top 6, and will occupy over half the top half of the table.

Though a team like Sheffield United who spent many weeks in European placing last season and finished top half, show that it's a competition top to bottom. 

As Sheffield United might just be relegated this season, Leeds might be a team which goes the other way and ascends surprising and impressing a few.

Edited by A'Villan

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't go off topic.

Do not discuss mid table.

Do not discuss top 6. 

This thread is about going for the title.

In a competition of twenty teams, twenty teams are contesting the title. 

Yes, only one can win. The rest will be found out as making up the numbers at one point or another.

Ignoring the variables that lead up to and influence the outcomes is to disregard everything that makes the chase what it is.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

We have Traore coming off bench too 

I like your point.

However I'm confident our Traore will assume a starting role soon enough, and will own it.

My point is that we did not have anyone of that quality unable to command a starting place upon promotion.

We've had to strengthen our starting XI in every position from one goal to the other and everywhere in between. GK to forwards.

Wolves now have Moutinho and Traore as options from the bench. That's two players who would walk into most if not all starting XI's outside of the top half.

If Trez does enough to compete with Traore for minutes on field then hats off to him, I think it might be a bit beyond him though, we'll see.

Equally, I think it unlikely that many minutes will be taken from our midfield three of Barkley, McGinn and Luiz.

I'm not complaining, I think we're a sensational outfit in all starting positions now, and excited to see how Smith gets them to take shape as a team.

In terms of options from the bench we've got enough cover so that should a change be needed or ideal, we can bring in someone to fulfill a role in most positions.

I will be pleasantly surprised if any of our bench players come into consideration for a starting role.

If we dont get any major injuries to anyone, if we maintain the average performance level of our first 3 games, if we continue to get favoruable (or at least neutral) decisions from VAR, and if Liverpool and Man City don't up their game....the title is ours.

37 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I like your point.

However I'm confident our Traore will assume a starting role soon enough, and will own it.

My point is that we did not have anyone of that quality unable to command a starting place upon promotion.

We've had to strengthen our starting XI in every position from one goal to the other and everywhere in between. GK to forwards.

Wolves now have Moutinho and Traore as options from the bench. That's two players who would walk into most if not all starting XI's outside of the top half.

If Trez does enough to compete with Traore for minutes on field then hats off to him, I think it might be a bit beyond him though, we'll see.

Equally, I think it unlikely that many minutes will be taken from our midfield three of Barkley, McGinn and Luiz.

I'm not complaining, I think we're a sensational outfit in all starting positions now, and excited to see how Smith gets them to take shape as a team.

In terms of options from the bench we've got enough cover so that should a change be needed or ideal, we can bring in someone to fulfill a role in most positions.

I will be pleasantly surprised if any of our bench players come into consideration for a starting role.

Is Traore worse than the starters in Wolves side? It’s just a tactical decision for me.

42 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Is Traore worse than the starters in Wolves side? It’s just a tactical decision for me.

Would you leave Grealish on the bench as a tactical decision?

My point is they have enough quality in the squad to be making that decision.

48 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Would you leave Grealish on the bench as a tactical decision?

My point is they have enough quality in the squad to be making that decision.

I won’t, but I’d keep Adama on the bench in some cases if he was with us. Because he depends on pace and power which sometimes better to get at tire legs than starting.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I don't think we've got a squad to rival Wolves depth in their last two 7th placed finishes since promotion, they've had Traore coming off the bench since they were promoted.

Anything above will be tough to break into, but I honestly think it's time to start dreaming again for Villa, as I've said, we're a chance in any fixture we play.

Everton may rival European placing this year, Ancelotti is one of the best managers of all time, and their squad is much better than the one that finished 8th two years ago.

Leicester are a good side who will win games and challenge top half, you'd think. Especially after finishing top 5 last season.

Liverpool, Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham will surely contest the top 6, and will occupy over half the top half of the table.

Though a team like Sheffield United who spent many weeks in European placing last season and finished top half, show that it's a competition top to bottom. 

As Sheffield United might just be relegated this season, Leeds might be a team which goes the other way and ascends surprising and impressing a few.

I think we will finish above Wolves this season. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think we will finish above Wolves this season. 

People are getting ahead of themselves. Just because we had a good start and they looked a bit meh after selling their best player, it doesn't mean that's gonna happen. I'd say it's hugely unlikely. Over a full season this good form, bad form tend to even itself out. 

BUT you make your own destiny so to speak. And just like Leicester showed us in 2015, you can win stuff if you show heart and ability over a full season. I'm not saying it's impossible to do really well this season. In fact I want us to be a club that goes for it. We need that winning mentality and spirit. But starting so early building us up like this is just doing us a massive disfavour. I'd say one of the big reasons Leicester made it in 2015, was that nobody took them serious. Even half way in the season, or in February, people were like "they won't make it. They will fall off. No chance". This helped them massively, cause a small club like Leicester had a much easier time to manage expectations. We need keep that down here at this club to. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People are getting ahead of themselves. Just because we had a good start and they looked a bit meh after selling their best player, it doesn't mean that's gonna happen. I'd say it's hugely unlikely. Over a full season this good form, bad form tend to even itself out.

Good point, but if we finish 1st then we’ll have to be above Wolves by default.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

BUT you make your own destiny so to speak. And just like Leicester showed us in 2015, you can win stuff if you show heart and ability over a full season. I'm not saying it's impossible to do really well this season. In fact I want us to be a club that goes for it. We need that winning mentality and spirit. But starting so early building us up like this is just doing us a massive disfavour. I'd say one of the big reasons Leicester made it in 2015, was that nobody took them serious. Even half way in the season, or in February, people were like "they won't make it. They will fall off. No chance". This helped them massively, cause a small club like Leicester had a much easier time to manage expectations. We need keep that down here at this club to. 

Oops.

Well, I for one can't wait to hear this being played at VP. By the end of April I reckon. Then we should be crowned as winners of the PL without anone able to catch us. Or hopefully safe.

Realistically I think we don't have the squad for the title. I think we're 3/4 seasons away from regular title challenges depending on recruitment of course. The current squad with everyone at their best is good for 12-14th. Our first 11 with everyone's first 11 would finish I genuinely believe around 8/9th.

Â