Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

The no fans really is having an affect, I do wonder if we would have been capable of that scoreline if there were fans in the stadium... Not that I'm trying to take the shine off it..just feel like the players play better without the fans at Villa park??

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, supermon said:

The no fans really is having an affect, I do wonder if we would have been capable of that scoreline if there were fans in the stadium... Not that I'm trying to take the shine off it..just feel like the players play better without the fans at Villa park??

I told someone else earlier on this week that having no fans in the stadiums will help us.  A big part of our survival last season was not having fans at Villa Park to boo our team/groan when something went wrong after the restart.  Villa Park is a great atmosphere to have on your side, when things are going well, but we can be vicious to our own players when things aren't going to plan.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, supermon said:

given this a thought too. maybe we should start singing more and pushing the players on instead of booing too much? my Swedish team AIK is now suffering the opposite effect where the lack of supporters is affecting the team. our supporters here still sing their hearts out even when we're losing by 4 or more goals. positivity and support goes a long way.

I'm not suggesting for one nano second that it might happen because it won't but just imagine if we did a Leicester and won it and fans weren't allowed in all season. I honestly think I'd rather us not win it than that.

• Confused 2

38 minutes ago, supermon said:

Hard to gauge really. We huffed and puffed a lot against Sheffield United  at home and did better away at Fulham.

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I'm not suggesting for one nano second that it might happen because it won't but just imagine if we did a Leicester and won it and fans weren't allowed in all season. I honestly think I'd rather us not win it than that.

While I do understand your sentiment, as an overseas fan I couldn't give a flying giraffe whether there are fans or not. If we won the League my life is complete!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

While I do understand your sentiment, as an overseas fan I couldn't give a flying giraffe whether there are fans or not. If we won the League my life is complete!

Yeah, that's understandable. But speaking as someone who has had a season ticket for 15 years, if it happened I'd be devastated I couldn't be there. Let's hope it's a few years away just yet 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

Yeah, that's understandable. But speaking as someone who has had a season ticket for 15 years, if it happened I'd be devastated I couldn't be there. Let's hope it's a few years away just yet 😉

I've got a better solution, we win it this season and defend it next season plus win the FA cup, to make up for you not being there the first time 😁

• Haha 1

Question: what position do people think we'll be seriously challenging for this season? A couple of weeks ago I would've said anywhere above 14thish but the way we've started the season, I genuinely don't know why we can't at least challenge for 7th?

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Wonder if there would be as many goals in the Premier League if crowds were back in football. Its gone very weird. More like basketball now. 

This is why I think it's having an affect, subtle things like groans and moans would no doubt have an affect on a players confidence, now if a player flops on a cross as an example, he just shrugs it off and goes again. 

Just now, Mantis said:

Question: what position do people think we'll be seriously challenging for this season? A couple of weeks ago I would've said anywhere above 14thish but the way we've started the season, I genuinely don't know why we can't at least challenge for 7th?

I'll answer this at 11pm tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

I was like you, before the start I would've taken 11th-15th as long as we were clear of relegation comfortably. Now I honestly think 6th-10th is a possibility

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Long way to go, but if we stay the course it seems like we should finish in a single digit spot in the table. I genuinely think Europe is a possibility.

Just now, MNVillan said:

Serious question and I don’t know where else to ask it: when was the last time we were 9 points clear of relegation in the Premier League at any point?

When we beat Chelsea 1-0 back in 2014, by the looks of it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26493266

After that we got slowly dragged into the relegation dogfight and only won one more game that season, although of course the circumstances then were totally different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â