Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, Newry_Villan said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned him getting beat at his near post for Burnleys second.  Would have cost us points today, he'll know that though and shouldn't let it happen again.

Was a really good powerful strike from Foster rather than crap keeping.  If goalkeepers were that good we would barely ever score. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Unpopular opinion but I don't think he's been great this season if I'm being honest

Have to disagree. He's made countless unbelievable saves and leads from the back. There's no way we have the points total we have without him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, birdman said:

Have to disagree. He's made countless unbelievable saves and leads from the back. There's no way we have the points total we have without him.

We've conceded 27 goals.

Liverpool have conceded 16. Arsenal conceded 18 and Man City 21.

That's a lot of goals compared to the rest of the top 4.

I think not only the gk but the defence as a whole has looked very suspect all season. Our attacking stats is why we are where we are.Only man city have outscored out and we're currently doing the we'll score more than you strategy.

Edited by Pinebro

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Wait, so Ollie Watkins clearly drinks water after a game, but John McGinn likes a strawberry Yazoo? 😁

This doesn't actually surprise me in the slightest 🤣

Probably would've been my second guess behind Irn Bru!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We've conceded 27 goals.

I think not only the gk but the defence as a whole has looked very suspect all season. Our attacking stats is why we are where we are.Only man city have outscored out and we're currently doing the we'll score more than you strategy.

That's the nature of the way we play. High risk defensive line, high reward attacking line. Unai could rejig it so that we are better defensively but probably at the risk of blunting our attack.

At the moment, what we are doing is very clearly working so I wouldn't let it concern you too much.

No doubt Emi would like more clean sheets but I'm sure he is even happier with winning games

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's a great guy great for us brilliant piece of business and you wouldn't trade him for anyone because of his character personality aura belief in the club leadership and ability.

But if we're honest he dropped off massively after his first season.

‘Dropped off massively’ 😂

He was a phenomenal keeper when we first signed him and he’s phenomenal now.

Our best player. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's a great guy great for us brilliant piece of business and you wouldn't trade him for anyone because of his character personality aura belief in the club leadership and ability.

I can't agree with this, but what I will say is, sometimes his ego and shitehousery can get the better of him. The time wasting definately needs to stop, especially when we are on top and we just need the ball back in play.

We've conceded fewer goals than the stats 'expect' from the chances we've faced, so on that level he's doing fine, while his distribution from the back and his game management are both much improved. 

IMO it's true that we concede too many goals to win the league, but that's a function of how we play: we face far more shots than Liverpool or City. 

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We've conceded 27 goals.

No denying we've leaked goals but I don't think that's because Emi is below par which is what you are suggesting. The defence being suspect on occasion I can agree with but then that's an area where we are a  weaker player wise than our rivals. Injuries have depleted the squad and those coming back are not up to speed. Of course we want to concede less but that's where we're at at the moment.

48 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We've conceded 27 goals.

I think it’s largely on the defence tbh. I’m not saying there aren’t a handful of goals Emi couldn’t have done better in preventing but when our high line is beaten it usually ends up with a one on one with Emi and most strikers will convert those. 

Also worth noting that 5 of those goals have come in the last two matches when we’ve playing with our 3rd and 4th choice CB and one of our best CBs out of position at right back. 

I think Emi has been a excellent this season but I think he has had to make peace with having less clean sheets because of our style of play.

• Like 2

Â