Emiliano Martínez

hippo

7 hours ago, mykeyb said:

It doesn't make the BBC Sport Football page as a headline........if only he played for a big 6 club

Oh he does

For all of 5 minutes as it seems to have disappeared again.

BBC really love us!  😁   rocket polishers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ponky said:

Of course the added bonus in all this is the mass triggering of Arsenal fans too

Give Unai the £665m and 4 years Lego Pep has had and Villa will dominate English and European football.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Emi (and half the rest of our current team) are also a real two fingers to the narrative around Grealish and his attempts to join Tottenham, Man U and eventually Man City from 2018-2021.

For me, it's more of a two-fingers up at Southgate tbh. Emi's achieved it all at us. 

38 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Am I blind or has this been totally missed on the BBC football front page?

It barely gets mentioned in dedicated live section featuring the balon d'or!

More is made out of who won the womens award (spoiler it was some woman) or who may win it next year ffs

It nearly seems like they are deliberately ignoring the Yachin trophy completely. 

I am unreasonably annoyed at this considering how little it actually impacts my life but im fit to be tied!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Would you sell him if Saudi came in for him in the summer for 100m+?

It's a weird one this.

Let me preface this by saying I love Emi. I think he's absolutely fantastic.

However, I do think he is slightly overrated. That's not me trying to be negative. He's brilliant. But at the moment his reputation is genuinely that of the best goalkeeper in the world. Or in the conversation at least.
I don't think he's actually at that level.

He's very very very good, and he's the best keeper we could have got when we got him. But I think there would be a (slightly moneyball) argument that fi we received bids like that we should sell him. 

Not because we want to get rid of him, but because we'd be getting more than he's worth.

Obviously it's relative, and the bigger question is even if we had £100m, would we be able to replace him with a keeper who is as good or better? Quite possibly not. But I think there's a genuine conversation to be had around it

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a weird one this.

However, I do think he is slightly overrated. That's not me trying to be negative. He's brilliant. But at the moment his reputation is genuinely that of the best goalkeeper in the world. Or in the conversation at least.

He's very very very good, and he's the best keeper we could have got when we got him. But I think there would be a (slightly moneyball) argument that fi we received bids like that we should sell him. 

Not because we want to get rid of him, but because we'd be getting more than he's worth.

Obviously it's relative, and the bigger question is even if we had £100m, would we be able to replace him with a keeper who is as good or better? Quite possibly not. But I think there's a genuine conversation to be had around it

I can understand an argument for selling, replacing for half the price with the caveat of a new keeper being slightly worse but the overall team being improved. 

I wouldn't go for that argument, but I understand it.

Now, I don't think there is a better keeper in world football. Who is better? Ter Stegen? No way. 

It's a very particular position. I can't see a better fit in world football. If someone can, please tell me who! 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a weird one this.

I think he's easily as good as anyone in the world but I doubt we would stand in his way if he wanted to leave if we got offered that kind of money and he wanted to go to try and win the Champions League with someone.  He's basically had to try and make a whole career in half the time because of the years Arsenal wasted with him on the bench so I can see a point soon where he goes, unless we can get Champions League next season. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He always seems so grateful to us. It’s so bizarre having a player of his quality in our side. Without any doubt, the best goalkeeper to ever play for Aston Villa. A club legend. 

A brilliant GK but the real bonus is he gets the club and appreciates what it means to play for us. Let’s win a club trophy for the great man!!! While he’s still got room on his mantle piece!!

• Like 1

Â