Emiliano Martínez

hippo

53 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Can sort of see why he did it.. And what’s is with seemingly unable to stop talking about Arsenal -still! He will itch for a move to Athletico given the chance next summer I have no doubts. We are but a stepping stone for him at his age I fear sadly. 

He was asked direct questions about Arsenal in an interview.

Atletico have one of the best keepers in the world in Oblak. They aren't going to spend what Emi is worth for a backup. He might leave for somewhere, but if he does we'll have made an enormous profit on him.

In fact just reading the articles again - looks like the default position is Liverpool etc are not planning to play their Brazilian players this weekend. ie they knew they would be banned for five days after the international break. Looks like we tried to work out a compromise where our guys missed one game because we knew they would miss a game anyway. The head of the ECA now asking FIFA to overturn that ban. Will be interesting to see if we play Dougie or if it’s fine since the article says Brazil haven’t asked for Everton to be sanctioned because Richarlison was at the Olympics.

Think there has been a lot more negotiation going on than has been made public on all sides.

edit: sorry I see this is all discussed on the previous page now I read properly, thought it was breaking news

Edited by Adam2003

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Interesting that so many didn't do what our players did. And yet they've been defended as just being passionate guys who love playing for their country, like none of the others are. 

If the others who didn’t go all get banned by FIFA anyway then what difference does it make?

Also just wondering to myself… we were all annoyed at the Argentina manager saying “I have them for all three games” but maybe he just didn’t want to tip off their next opponent that he would have a weaker squad. He might equally have been annoyed our club statement gave it away I suppose whatever had been agreed behind closed doors…

This will all have blown over in a week and be pretty funny. I do hope FIFA ban all the players who didn’t go though haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

FIFA won’t want to piss off the big clubs so will do nothing or come out with a statement something like warning not to do it again (which they will do)

Not sure about this - FIFA LOVE pissing off clubs! They just said they plan for the WC to be every two years without even asking them 😂

All FIFAs fault anyway - this match has been in the offing for god knows how long. Just required 1 of 3 simple statement from FIFA saying either "release your called-up players or they'll be suspended", "you dont have to release them, and we wont punish you given the extreme circumstances" or "nothing to do with us, sort it out amongst yourselves"

Instead they did nothing and allowed this to happen.

South American fans have as much right to see their strongest players turn up as much as Europeans do.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Can sort of see why he did it.. And what’s is with seemingly unable to stop talking about Arsenal -still! He will itch for a move to Athletico given the chance next summer I have no doubts. We are but a stepping stone for him at his age I fear sadly. 

I'm guessing he was asked a question, and answered it. I'm also wondering how you managed to connect the 2 bolded bits mate?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

All FIFAs fault anyway - this match has been in the offing for god knows how long. Just required 1 of 3 simple statement from FIFA saying either "release your called-up players or they'll be suspended",

I am always happy to blame FIFA but…

1) This wouldn’t necessarily have affected incident on the pitch in Brazil. The health department didn’t listen to the Brazilian FA and wouldn’t listen to FIFA. (Unless perhaps they would have been fine with it if the Brazilian players were there, that’s possible for sure).

2) FIFA could argue I suppose that “we don’t need to release a statement saying ‘the rules are the rules and continue to be the rules’.” No-one released a statement saying “despite the pandemic, the speed limit remains the same”…

But yes they could probably have been a bit clearer you would think!

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm guessing he was asked a question, and answered it. I'm also wondering how you managed to connect the 2 bolded bits mate?

Standard - people have decided they are annoyed with him so will throw anything at him. All I even saw him say about Arsenal this week was actually ‘about’ Independiente - he just said he didn’t want to leave but felt pressured to (he may have said more that I missed).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Surely the most sensible solution would be to simply relocate any games from a redlisted country to a neutral venue. Its not rocket science. With no fans allowed its hardly losing an advantage for Brazil. All this crazyness was then avoided. 

Unfortunately the world doesn’t revolve around the UK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I imagine you'd trust your wife to have checked the rules and ensured you were both complying with them if she was booking everything, just as the 2 Emis would have done with whoever from the AFA organised their trip.

I would, but if she screwed up it would be my fault.  Thats how marriage works. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

People are making this sound so sinister on the part of our players when it's absolutely not.

Martinez has just broken into his national side, a childhood dream, and Buendia is on the cusp. The Argie setup clearly told them to come or they'd lose their place. We supported them because we're a good football club who cares about it's players.

The incompetence of the AFA and the Brazilian health bureaucracy are what have cost us here. 

I think that is a very reasonable assumption to make and one I favour....but there is another view too.

I felt sorry for Emi with his treatment at Arsenal and was well pleased when we signed him, he has gone on to be outrageously good for us and he seemed very settled in his new surroundings with people that appreciate him. I felt that that loyalty will be reciprocated.

I am now not so sure as I first was.....events will unfold and my thoughts may change back, but right now, I am not as happy with him as I was.....The football club pays his wages, the piper needs paying back too....I hope Emi can re-focus his thoughts on us and put all this behind him.

I think we need to remind ourselves at times, that Aston Villa are an ambitious football club, we are not a stepping stone for every player who wants to further his own career, albeit that will inevitably happen....but we as fans need to get back to revering the ones who are loyal to us, not the "fly by nights"

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He will leave at the first opportunity if a CL club went in for him. 

Already shown that he will put self interest before the club. 

It's the reality of being a club in our position, you either break in to the CL or you lose players to them, just like Leicester have lost Chilwell, Maguire, Mahrez, Kante...You just have to accept it'll happen, hold out for the right price and spend the money becoming a better team.

I could kind of understand it with Grealish, one of our own and all that, but if anyone expects Emi's head not to be turned if Atletico do come knocking, they're crazy.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Farlz said:

“Aston Villa did not understand the Brazilian regulations and why it happened. It’s not something the world expected to see.”

This seems like one of those quotes that's misunderstood / mistranslated.

I doubt he's saying "Villa didn't know there was a 14 day quarantine period for players from England arriving to Brazil", but more like "Villa didn't know that the Brazilian health authorities had not given exemption from quarantine for football players as in the Copa America and so they didn't know there'd be a suspension and that we'd be flying out for just one match."

And why would we? That's on the relevant FAs, Villa had to release the players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's the reality of being a club in our position, you either break in to the CL or you lose players to them, just like Leicester have lost Chilwell, Maguire, Mahrez, Kante...You just have to accept it'll happen, hold out for the right price and spend the money becoming a better team.

I could kind of understand it with Grealish, one of our own and all that, but if anyone expects Emi's head not to be turned if Atletico do come knocking, they're crazy.

exactly. it's just the reality of things really.

I believe we're all capable of enjoying Aston Villa anyways isn't that right people? right? XD

Â