The AVFC FFP thread

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Well if a company signed a 10 year naming rights deal @ £4m a year and paid the money upfront then surely that would help the accounts.

You'd spread the £40 million income over the 10 years to which it applied.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Well if a company signed a 10 year naming rights deal @ £4m a year and paid the money upfront then surely that would help the accounts.

nah it has to be spread over the life of the contract

12 hours ago, Hairdo said:

If the £40m figure is correct, I make it:

-£500k Johnstone loan return (£10k per week)

-£3.5m Golini sale and wages

-£500k Hutton Wage drop (£10k per week)

-£500k Samba released (£10k per week)

-£2.5m Terry released (£50k per week)

-£1m Snodgrass loan return (£20k per week)

-£2m Gil sale and wages

-£500k Grabbon loan return (£10k per week)

-£2.5m Gabby released (£50k per week)

-£3.5m Amada sell on clause

-£3m Shirt/Training shirt sponsorship 

All guestimates obviously but that's about £20m off the bill there leaving £20m

Add in potential money from Stadium sponsor, shirt sleeve sponsor, Veretout sell on clause (linked with £15-20m move), Jedi linked with a move away and a couple of other deals and surely we'd be getting close to the £40m mark?

But how can you be so certain that this magic £40m figure hadn't already taken into the account all the returning loans and end of contracts?

We didnt hear about it until it suddenly appeared out of the blue in June after the season ended, so its possible that the figure had already taken all these ending deals into consideration

Back page of the Times regarding QPR and FFP

£17mil fine paid over 10 years 

£3mil EFL legal costs 

£21.965 mil of loans to be converted into equity 

Transfer Embargo for January 

15 hours ago, snowychap said:

You'd spread the £40 million income over the 10 years to which it applied.

Why? You could easily buy the stadium for 10 years and have it cash upfront. There’s nothing stopping how you do the accounting. 

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

£40 mill fine to win at least £100mill for finishing last in prem - if I had the money I would chance it.

It says £17m fine paid over 10 years elsewhere. I’d take that. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Why? You could easily buy the stadium for 10 years and have it cash upfront. There’s nothing stopping how you do the accounting. 

Yes there is.

There's no problem with how someone might pay for something (i.e. the whole amount up front) but there are rules about how you must account for income and expenditure (edit: and other things, obviously).

Edited by snowychap

There is a pay wall article in The Times about our financial situation claiming we have short time issues as we already spent the season ticket, and parachute money to clear debt.

Anyone who can post the full thing?

Aston Villa hindered by cashflow problems despite takeover

Bruce accepts he may have to sell players this summer despite the takeover

Aston Villa are still facing short-term cashflow problems despite last week’s takeover by Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens because much of next season’s income has already been spent.

A source who vetted Villa’s finances during the takeover process has told The Times that the money generated by season-ticket sales and a significant proportion of the club’s Premier League parachute money has been used this summer to clear existing debts.

Villa missed a £4 million payment due to HMRC in May and were also struggling to make payments due to other creditors before Sawiris and Edens provided some hope by taking majority control of the club last week...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/villa-have-already-spent-most-of-income-for-new-season-5r9kbrnf2

(Not the most flattering choice of picture there for poor Bruce.)

• Haha 1

That’s the FFP precident set now then. They can’t just fine (and transfer embargo) QPR and then start deducting points from other teams that break the rules. I guess it’s up to our owners whether they do things sensibly (which I think they will) or just say ‘f*** it’ and pay the fine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thejoker said:

That’s the FFP precident set now then. They can’t just fine (and transfer embargo) QPR and then start deducting points from other teams that break the rules. I guess it’s up to our owners whether they do things sensibly (which I think they will) or just say ‘f*** it’ and pay the fine.

Yup exactly. That punishment will surely have to apply to all teams now. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I think they have changed the rules since the legal battle started so they can now deduct points and stop teams getting promoted if they wish. 

• Like 2

I'd rather we did it the right way and grow the business on strong foundations. 

Either way, I don't think the fine will be as much of an issue as it would have been 10 days ago.

51 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think they have changed the rules since the legal battle started so they can now deduct points and stop teams getting promoted if they wish. 

I think we could easily argue the case that the new rules are unfair given the circumstances surrounding QPR. As long as we are showing that we are tackling FFP then the league will give us a fine at most. For example if we are £5m to £10m outside of FFP but can show that through promotion of youth/investment in the academy and contracts expiring that it won't be an issue then the league will work with us.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I think we could easily argue the case that the new rules are unfair given the circumstances surrounding QPR. As long as we are showing that we are tackling FFP then the league will give us a fine at most. For example if we are £5m to £10m outside of FFP but can show that through promotion of youth/investment in the academy and contracts expiring that it won't be an issue then the league will work with us.

The qpr ruling doesn't set a precedent because it was based on old rules. FFP are entitled to change these depending on circumstances. However, I believe new owners are given a degree of flexibility on meeting FFP and, like you said, as long as the club is actively trying to meet it then they will be more relaxed with enforcing penalties. 

• Like 1

Didn't QPR just throw 2 fingers up to the rules and pray they stayed in the PL? I think our actions are very different and like you say @omariqy it's likely we are in discussions with the EFL about it all.

But then like @Made In Aston says the precedent it sets are from the old rule book. Cant retrospectively enforce the new rules.

I can't believe for one instance that if it was us or Leeds or another big name in this league that broke the rules they wouldn't take the chance to come down hard on a club with the full weight of the new rules and set a new precedent.

Ultimately it's a shame the whole FFP thing exists at all. But that's another argument altogether.

Â