Matty Cash

paul514

I like Cash a lot, but was really disappointed with him tonight. He slowed our play down every time he got the ball, and was always looking to lay the ball off to McGinn behind him. I think he gets harshly criticised when playing out of position wide right, but he was in his preferred right back spot tonight, and just wasn't very good, sadly.

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

He doesn’t need a rest, he’s been a sub a few times recently, he could do with some competition tho.

Didn't see tonight, but looking at his subpar performances the last few matches, it may be the opposite problem. He does have competition, namely Konsa-as-RB, and he has not reacted well to it. He seems to be trying to do too much to win his spot back.

Cash has been a good player for the club, but appears he has reached his threshold for the club. It seems to me that the movement he needs to make doesn’t appear natural to him and runs down a few dead ends.

I’m interested to see whether Emery brings in a starting RB to compete with him, or sells Cash.

8 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah. I was surprised he didn’t play Konsa RB with Carlos and Lenglet in the middle. I guess we’ll see that against United.

Concerns about Carlos playing 3 games in 9 days (including the Utd game) I presume. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I didn't think he had a bad game. 

Obviously I can never be trusted again.

I like him and don’t think he has warranted quite the grief he has got on social media after this but he didn’t have a good game and he looks a level below everyone else on the pitch. He’s probably the only player that Emery hasn’t been able to improve. 

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not as bad as is being made out, he gave it away a few times and a few times he could have played Bailey or Diaby through down the right but cut back inside. He was ok though, when the game got stretched he was more effective, some good crosses.

I think the role he played last night is his best role. I do think it does need the Kamara cover and to play teams who don't park the bus. How he played against Brighton for example was exactly how he's best used. 

I do feel he has a ceiling. I also just feel he's just not the right profile of player to shine in this Emery system. He isn't good enough a passer to play the RCB role in build up. He isn't a good enough attacker to play as a Moreno style wide attacker. He is a good defender though in a traditional RB type. 

• Like 1

I imagine he is so easy to defend against 1 on 1. He never takes on a player. Sometimes it looks like he is thinking about it but then just cuts back and passes it off. Also holds onto the ball for too long at times. 

If we just sign one person in Jan I think I would like it to be a RB to replace him in the starting team.

Cash was an absolutely perfect signing for us when we got him from Forest. 

He's been a great fit for where we've been as a team since he joined. 

Now we're moving forward it'll be a case of making another signing like that but with a new criteria. 

Some have been mentioning that he would benefit from competition. I don't think that's the case. I think it would make him perform worse through lack of time and added pressure on himself. Emery has given everyone chance to prove themselves and (imo) looks like he sees Cash as the next change after playing Young last year and Konsa this. 

He's been a good addition to the Villa family but I think we'll upgrade shortly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My main disappointment with cash last night is he didn't overlap Bailey much at all. The few times he did he got in behind and we got into dangerous positions but then he would stop bothering. 

He doesnt ever try to get close to Bailey. 

Mine is his passing, made that error in the first minute or so and just continued from there. 

A very poor game from him but I think he has a place in our squad for certain games. Last night you would think was the perfect game for him, not that much pressure and chance to get forward. 

Maybe he needs the pressure from the opposition with a lot of time he looked a bit headless. 

It’s worth nothing that Cash was in the RB/CB hybrid role for the majority of the start of the game but as many others have alluded to, this is one of his more useless roles. His distribution between the lines is just not there. 

You could see he found it difficult to find his positioning in the final third in the first half. Diaby and Bailey occupied the same spaces with McGinn covering as ball recycling option. 

Even if Cash did overlap, as he did once or twice in the first half, he has to do so from a very deep position and the run is predictable and obvious to see. 

Once we were chasing, his positioning switched to a more classic overlapping fullback as we stopped defending with 3 at the back. At that point, he became the main outlet of attacks and put in the cross for Moreno’s chance as well as a few other half chances. 

He has a part to play, but I agree with a lot of others that he can’t grasp the technical qualities of Unai ball. He needs , at minimum, actual competition at RB or genuine replacement. 

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don’t think it was a bad game as such - per my Neil Taylor comparison earlier, he can play perfectly ok for the most part and still be the breakdown/slowdown point in too many attacks. It’s not even really a criticism - I think he’s performing perfectly well as a midtable PL full back which is an amazing level - he’s just the one player in our current starting XI I don’t think has the capability to step up to a CL chase, especially from an attacking perspective. I’d still happily have him in the squad for the long term but I think it’s the next position I’d be looking to upgrade.

• Like 1

Â