Matty Cash

paul514

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I imagine he played very differently. He was also pretty young as a winger.

Thought he played pretty well overall against Boro. Got us out of jail on a couple of occasions with last minute tackles and obviously scored the winner. 

Maybe. 
but I’d expect a winger to have more in his locker than a cut inside and a 3 yard pass. 

for every last ditch tackle, his side was wide open despite his attacking value (goal aside) being nil. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Maybe. 
but I’d expect a winger to have more in his locker than a cut inside and a 3 yard pass. 

for every last ditch tackle, his side was wide open despite his attacking value (goal aside) being nil. 

That’s kind of how we play though, no? The marauding attacking happens on the left, and the right hand side provides more defensive play. Bailey is very prominently the most attacking player on the right, but on the left it’s Moreno/Digne. Cash’s role isn’t to do the same thing as them at all. 

• Like 1

Unless he shows improvement, he's the glaringly obvious weak link in our side. Unfortunately a deflected shot that was heading towards the opposite side of the goal doesn't change anything.

Just to add something to discuss around according whoscored our statistically highest rated player before the goal was Matty cash.

After the goal it was clearly Matty cash.

I don't think he played fantastically but it does question the commentary in the match thread where cash was getting a lot of stick.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That’s kind of how we play though, no? The marauding attacking happens on the left, and the right hand side provides more defensive play. Bailey is very prominently the most attacking player on the right, but on the left it’s Moreno/Digne. Cash’s role isn’t to do the same thing as them at all. 

That’s fine, but then you’d expect our left side to be the one wide open. But it wasn’t the case. Their main threat came down the left. So either he’s bombing on or defensively sound, and it looked like he did neither well tbh. And even if you’re saying he’s not expected to be good going forward, I’d expect more than killing every attack he’s involved in by cutting inside and passing backwards, or overhitting a cross :D He’s a glaring weakness in the team. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Just to add something to discuss around according whoscored our statistically highest rated player before the goal was Matty cash.

After the goal it was clearly Matty cash.

I don't think he played fantastically but it does question the commentary in the match thread where cash was getting a lot of stick.

Flavour of the month.

So so. Frustrating as hell the amount of times he checks back and gives it back to Konsa though. Seems unsure of himself maybe? 

A decent player but so clearly the most obvious area we need to upgrade. If Emery wants Konsa there, we’ll need another centre half because im so unsure of Carlos. 

Most irritating player to watch for me currently. Very talented athlete so I believe with the coaching he will improve.

I wish he would replace the 'threatening up the wing and turn back pass to Konsa" routine he does with just standing on the ball. It rarely achieves its aim of pulling the opp out of shape.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Most irritating player to watch for me currently. Very talented athlete so I believe with the coaching he will improve.

I wish he would replace the 'threatening up the wing and turn back pass to Konsa" routine he does with just standing on the ball. It rarely achieves its aim of pulling the opp out of shape.

And playing a forward pass every now and again would be nice, just doesn't have it in his locker though. Ashley Young used to play plenty of penetrative passes.

15 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah, he seems to be a lightning rod for people’s frustration at the moment. 

Even if he plays relatively well his card has been marked by some of our supporters. 

Just because he scored against a championship team, doesn't change the fact he's the weak link.

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

This is exactly why I said I suspected Emery has been wanting to play Konsa at RB a lot earlier. It was only Cash's good start to the season that kept that from happening earlier (imo)

Emery has always liked playing a CB in one of the fullback roles (hence Pau featuring at LB when he first arrived)

The problem is it's become obvious that Konsa is far more crucial at CB than Emery maybe first realised

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is exactly why I said I suspected Emery has been wanting to play Konsa at RB a lot earlier. It was only Cash's good start to the season that kept that from happening earlier (imo)

Emery has always liked playing a CB in one of the fullback roles (hence Pau featuring at LB when he first arrived)

The problem is it's become obvious that Konsa is far more crucial at CB than Emery maybe first realised

Mings’ injury probably is a big factor if that was originally planned.

Konsa is crucial as a centre back, he is slightly less crucial if we have Mings available.

22 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

And even if you’re saying he’s not expected to be good going forward, I’d expect more than killing every attack he’s involved in by cutting inside and passing backwards, or overhitting a cross :D He’s a glaring weakness in the team. 

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

So so. Frustrating as hell the amount of times he checks back and gives it back to Konsa though. Seems unsure of himself maybe? 

A decent player but so clearly the most obvious area we need to upgrade. If Emery wants Konsa there, we’ll need another centre half because im so unsure of Carlos. 

11 hours ago, Anything11 said:

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

And playing a forward pass every now and again would be nice, just doesn't have it in his locker though. Ashley Young used to play plenty of penetrative passes.

I genuinely think it's a tactical thing.

What Cash seemed to be doing at the start of the season was drifting inside more and shooting more and, from recollection, he won the ball higher up the pitch as a result of being the more attacking outlet on the right-hand side.  Lucas Digne, by contrast, sat a bit deeper (still fairly forward, much like Cash is now) and either whipped crosses in (weak part of Cash's game IMO) or played the ball back to Torres.  For the most part, this then switched at some point and Digne became the more attacking outlet - maybe coupled with Moreno coming back and the team adapting(?) - with the right side being the slightly deeper part; involving Konsa playing at right back rather than Cash.

I don't think Cash is the best attacking player at all - and I'm pretty on board with him being the part of the first team that we need to replace the most - but I do think a lot of the build up play is a tactical instruction.  In much the same way that we utilise playing out from the back slowly.  We want teams to press us and then pass through them but when it's a team sitting deep and not willing to press (Brentford, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough) we struggle to adapt and rarely start speeding up ball movement or changing the way we play.  Cash has shown that he can be more effective in an attacking sense, but his role is not to be this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mings’ injury probably is a big factor if that was originally planned.

Konsa is crucial as a centre back, he is slightly less crucial if we have Mings available.

Yep exactly

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What Cash seemed to be doing at the start of the season was drifting inside more and shooting more and, from recollection, he won the ball higher up the pitch as a result of being the more attacking outlet on the right-hand side.  Lucas Digne, by contrast, sat a bit deeper (still fairly forward, much like Cash is now) and either whipped crosses in (weak part of Cash's game IMO) or played the ball back to Torres.  For the most part, this then switched at some point and Digne became the more attacking outlet - maybe coupled with Moreno coming back and the team adapting(?) - with the right side being the slightly deeper part; involving Konsa playing at right back rather than Cash.

I don't think Cash is the best attacking player at all - and I'm pretty on board with him being the part of the first team that we need to replace the most - but I do think a lot of the build up play is a tactical instruction.  In much the same way that we utilise playing out from the back slowly.  We want teams to press us and then pass through them but when it's a team sitting deep and not willing to press (Brentford, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough) we struggle to adapt and rarely start speeding up ball movement or changing the way we play.  Cash has shown that he can be more effective in an attacking sense, but his role is not to be this.

Yes - this - a lot of people are always ragging on him for not providing an overlap but often times he has to be the 3rd CB in possession in the back 3 with Bailey providing the width. Naturally - it will be very difficult for him to overlap outside of Bailey when Bailey is already at the touchline. Similarly, it will be somewhat stupid for him to underlap when he has to run past both Kamara and Diaby to get beyond the back line. What he needs to improve on - but I suspect he can't - is being able to break the lines by baiting the press and then either switching the play or going in between the lines to Diaby/Watkins/Bailey. He is essentially in the same position Torres is on the other side of the back 3 but much, much worse at it.

He has looked better with no Bailey on the pitch and either Diaby/McGinn drifting in field with Kamara dropping into a back 3 and Cash providing the width but it has been rare and as discussed numerous times, ineffective against low blocks.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't deny that he can be frustrating but his stats of 4 goals and 2 assists is a very decent contribution.

His shooting accuracy (61%) is the same as Diaby and Bailey.

His deflected goal which got Villa over the line, proves that he might be luckier than most.

He's not as good as Ken Swain but few are. 😎

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

Agree with a lot of this. However, the difference is still noticeable in possession with Konsa there who is further from a natural right back than Cash is. But as you say - those G/A are significant and he is doing a much better job of not running down blind alleys or losing the ball needlessly

I just hate that turn he does. 

I think my major gripe with him at the moment is the delay in getting the ball to Bailey. More often than not he delays, then checks back, the option is then gone and he then plays safe. I've seen Emery lose his shit about this, iirc it was the last away game in Europe we played. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I think my major gripe with him at the moment is the delay in getting the ball to Bailey. More often than not he delays, then checks back, the option is then gone and he then plays safe. I've seen Emery lose his shit about this, iirc it was the last away game in Europe we played. 

Yeah he often needlessly does this rather than trying some overlapping one twos with Bailey. Its all too predictable! To be fair he switched his game a bit second half against Middlesbrough and went for some nice cross field passes and obviously bagged the goal too. He's capable of better just needs to be braver.

• Like 1

Â