Jaden Philogene

Kingman

10 hours ago, useless said:

He went off injured at the weekend and has been ruled out of Hull's match on Wednesday. He is to have a scan on medial knee ligament damage to determine the full extent of his injury.

That's a real shame. Hopefully scan comes back with nothing too serious.

• 1 month later...

The type of player that you can fall in love with. Its not just what he does. Its how he does it. Nonchalant.  Like Grealish in his prime for us. He is more frustrating than Grealish as well  but he can do stuff not many others can.  His ceiling is Sistine Chapel levels. He would have been brilliant in games this season against low blocks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The type of player that you can fall in love with. Its not just what he does. Its how he does it. Nonchalant.  Like Grealish in his prime for us. He is more frustrating than Grealish as well  but he can do stuff not many others can.  His ceiling is Sistine Chapel levels. He would have been brilliant in games this season against low blocks. 

I think he will become an absolutely brilliant player. I hope he develops fast into an absolute monster and that we buy him back by activating some clause (I hope) that we put in his contract when we sold him (wishful thinking).

12 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I think he will become an absolutely brilliant player. I hope he develops fast into an absolute monster and that we buy him back by activating some clause (I hope) that we put in his contract when we sold him (wishful thinking).

Not sure it is wishful thinking. I'm sure I've seen an article by one of the villa journos saying we'd put all the three we sold on buy back clauses. Nothing saying we couldn't just go out and buy him back anyway even without one. 

On 17/01/2024 at 10:59, villa82 said:

Best player in the Championship. Best player ever at Hull fc, better than Robertson and Bowen. 

Good thing we have a buy back clause.

• Like 1

Best player in the Championship. Best player ever at Hull fc, better than Robertson and Bowen. 

Still no success in hoping this guy gets somebody - literally anybody - else to voice his videos then. 

Had to turn it off after 1.5 seconds. Hope it was informative though. 

Any mention of that Morgan Rodgers we are linked with in the 7? 

Currently out and about so can't watch the full 20 odds minutes

54 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Any mention of that Morgan Rodgers we are linked with in the 7? 

Currently out and about so can't watch the full 20 odds minutes

No.

The 7 picked are

Sammy Szmodics - Blackburn

Gabriel Sara - Norwich

Jack Clarke - Sunderland

Kyle Walker-Peters - Southampton

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall - Leicester

Georginio Rutter - Leeds

JPB - Hull

He does give mentions to Ampadu, Summerville, Winks, Pereira, Daka, Iheanacho, Armstrong, Perry Ng, Whittaker, Jacob Greaves, Morsy, Chaplin and Leif Davis. Although he also states he believes that Ipswich's success is more about the whole than it's parts hence not giving any a spot on the list proper.

It's also probably worth mentioning that he's kinda gone out of his way to avoid naming a load of Prem standard relegated players by limiting himself to 1 per team - as otherwise the list is basically Leicester with a token Leeds and Southampton player. And I think he's tried to avoid picking obvious answers from the relegated teams - he even says that he thinks Summerville is Leeds best player this season but picks Rutter as he thinks he is the better player overall.

• Thanks 1

Hull City’s Jaden Philogene: ‘When I get kicked, I take it as a compliment’ - The Athletic

A month-long knee injury has not blemished Jaden Philogene’s impressive start at Hull City.

The 21-year-old is close to returning to fitness and his absence from the side has underlined his importance. He speaks to The Athletic from Hull’s training ground, an hour before a team meeting, and he will do additional practice after the morning’s session.

Before injury briefly interrupted his momentum, his last goal came against Championship side Rotherham — his sixth in 10 matches — and was an audacious, off-the-cuff backheel facing away from the target. It purred of a young player with deep self-belief in unerring form and was his favourite goal so far.

“Yeah, it’s a sign of confidence,” Philogene says. “It’s in my game. When the ball came to me, I just knew I couldn’t turn around and shoot because the angle was tight. Team-mates said it was cheeky.”

Including five assists, Philogene to this point had registered 11 goal contributions in his first 10 matches for his new club. This led to a nomination for the Championship player of the month in November.

Such recognised praise is keenly felt on the back of a summer that served, both then and now, as a definitive juncture in his mind: settle into Unai Emery’s squad at Aston Villa or step out of the shadows at another club, albeit at a lower level? First-team football was the priority in the hope of returning to the Premier League down the line better and developed.

In the end, Philogene left for Hull, and Villa, despite finding themselves short in wide areas — characterised by their pursuit of Morgan Rogers, another young winger playing in the Championship — recognised the upside of allowing the academy graduate to depart.

Part of Philogene’s success at Hull is a product of hard work on the training pitch.

“They don’t want me to stay out long, but I try to stay on the pitch as long as I can. The other day, I was out there for 45 minutes,” Philogene laughs, pointing at the pitch, “just by myself. I would set up cones and do my own thing. I worked on weaving inside and out, cutting in and shooting, and focusing on technique. I see what I’m doing now as a reward for that, but I’ve got to keep doing it.”

The England under-21 international has settled into life in Humberside. He has established his favourite position — “left-wing or left No 10 where I can slide passes and shoot” — and has found a quiet apartment after living in a nearby hotel. Hull staff already regard him among the club’s best players.

Emery outlined his desire for Philogene to stay in pre-season following a promising tour of the United States, scoring in the friendly against Fulham and coming on in the opening-day defeat away to Newcastle United.

“I thought I had a chance,” says Philogene. “I got game time in pre-season and he (Emery) saw lots of me. We talked before going on the tour. He took me into his office and said that I’d be in the squad and I’d be getting minutes, with my work rate and performances standing out.”

It was only once Villa returned that Philogene started to consider a move elsewhere. He was entering the final two years of his contract and was fielding offers from several Championship sides and abroad.

“I wanted to stay but I didn’t think I was going to get the minutes I needed,” he says. “So the best option for me was to leave. I don’t think it was a big decision. I’m 21 and I needed to play. I spoke to Emery and Monchi and they agreed.”

Southampton, who rejected Philogene as a teenager, came in late on September’s deadline day, but talks with Hull were far down the line and Philogene had watched clips from their games, believing it chimed with his natural style. A £5million ($6.4m) deal was eventually finalised, with Philogene signing a four-year contract. Villa accepted they could track his progress elsewhere but included a first option and a buy-back clause.

“The project is to get in the play-offs and get promoted. We’ve got a team that can do that. I don’t think about it (Villa’s buy-back clause), I just think about playing. I’ve got friends at Villa, but what is best for me is where I want to go next.”

While Philogene is adamant Villa are outside of his thoughts, there will remain some anticipation of a return. Supporters track his progress intently and the club is inextricably linked to his development given Villa provided him with the breakthrough.

Philogene describes his formative footballing years as “bumpy”, having been released from Brentford at under-14 level when the club shut down its academy. Those who suffered the same fate included Luke Mbete from Manchester City and Xavier Simons and Tyrick Mitchell, now at Chelsea and Crystal Palace respectively.

“It was my first setback,” Philogene says. “I was out of the pro game for three or four years, so it took a while to get back. I just had to keep doing what I was doing and waiting to take my chance.

“I just love football. When the ball is at my feet, I can do what I want. Football is my life. After Brentford, I was back playing grassroots football. I was getting kicked more and, when I was younger, I used to get angry a lot. Now when they kick me, I take it as a compliment because they can’t get the ball off me.”

As well as Southampton, Philogene went on trial at Wolves. Both were for six weeks. Philogene thought it had gone well, but on each occasion, his then-agent was left to inform him neither would be offering a contract.

“I remember thinking, ‘What’s going on?’ because I knew I was not playing rubbish,” says Philogene. “After that, I knew Mo, one of the Pro Direct Academy coaches, and went there. When my agent took me to Aston Villa, I was 16 and that was the first trial I had since leaving Brentford.

“Villa were supposed to give me another six-week trial, but they signed me on the second day after one training session. I remember that session well: we did possession, one-v-ones and attack versus defence. The coach was David Hughes (now at Manchester United) and they said they wanted to sign me the next day.”

Philogene settled into digs in Sutton Coldfield on the outskirts of Birmingham and lived with a “nice couple” called Anne and Clive alongside current Villa full-back Sebastian Revan. He made his first-team debut in May 2021 away to Tottenham, coming on as a second-half substitute.

Philogene’s mentality, like most footballers, is a by-product of his upbringing. “Football is my therapy,” he says. His childhood was spent in west London and the flat where Philogene lived with his mother overlooked the only football and basketball pitches in the area. He started football at three, remarkably playing for his local side Westway under-6s. His mum would take him to training and document his progress through videos.

“Most of my area didn’t have a small patch of grass,” he smiles. “It was concrete and that 100 per cent influenced how I play. When I get on the pitch, I don’t think about anything else, I just play the game no matter what. It’s been my therapy since I was young; everything else disappears from my mind.”

Philogene brimmed with the ability to control and manipulate the ball in tight spaces, inclined to take defenders on in one-v-ones. He was a natural ball-carrier and risk-taker, producing unorthodox finishes — illustrated in his goal against Rotherham — and skill moves.

His role models are Neymar, Ronaldinho and Jadon Sancho (“I like how he plays”). All three are cut from a similar cloth; their main aim is to express themselves. Philogene is a short, snappy talker. He tends to get to his point quickly and is direct in his manner. In some ways, it conveys how he plays.

And his thoughts on returning to the Premier League? “One hundred per cent I can be playing there next season,” he says. “If I keep doing what I’m doing, I can be, yes.”

Does sound like he was one who suggested he should go and plan and Emery and Monchi agreed.

I think someone will sign him this summer from PL. So we either do it and let Zaniolo return to Gala or he joins somewhere else. 

Worst case scenario we sign him, he doesn't break through for us and we sell him the following summer. I'm sure his value is below our buy back option.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well.

He's clearly ending up with a decent PL contract at some point. Either here or elsewhere.

Any buyback would obviously be no good if someone came and signed him off Hull. I'd strongly suspect, they have to flag to us if an offer is made they're going to accept.

Doing exactly what he needs to in the Championship. Dismissing it.

Edited by Tomaszk

Â