Saïd Benrahma

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

However, I think King may be the answer as he can play across the front three, brings PL experience and is less expensive.

Mostly played LW last season. Heat map poor. Mostly left touchline between halfway and final 3rd. 10 goals and 7 assists in 61 games last 2 seasons from open play. Needed 8 penalties for respectable figures. He's so overrated on here for some reason. I don't think he's much better than AEG or Trez

Also PL experience is such a rubbish tired phrase

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

However, I think King may be the answer as he can play across the front three, brings PL experience and is less expensive.

But he’s not very good!

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

I think they will. Palace signed Eze and not sure what other options they have outside, would he fit in the squad? Can’t see him being a starter here, not sure he would be happy with the role we would offer him. 

think I’m 60/40 him staying at Brentford/signing for West Ham.

He’s got as much chance starting with us as West Ham.  Have you seen the players they have in attacking individuals.  Seems their problem are they are too individual and can’t play as a team.  They have more attacking talent than us, it’s we play as a team.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Mostly played LW last season. Heat map poor. Mostly left touchline between halfway and final 3rd. 10 goals and 7 assists in 61 games last 2 seasons from open play. Needed 8 penalties for respectable figures. He's so overrated on here for some reason. I don't think he's much better than AEG or Trez

Also PL experience is such a rubbish tired phrase

I am not an expert on Bournemouth but I think he probably played there because they had Wilson and other options down the middle and Fraser/Brooks down the right hand side.

I am not saying he is a world beater but we are looking for squad players/back up options.  From what I have seen of him, he offers a lot more than AEG.

"PL experience" is an often used phrase and it is certainly not the be all and end all, as Watkins showed against Liverpool, BUT it does have relevance and will be a factor in recruitment decision making.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But he’s not very good!

I am not sure how good he is - I haven't watched Bournemouth enough - but he is potentially good enough to be a back up option for us at this stage of our development?

I would love to have Edouard competing with Ollie Watkins for the no. 9 shirt with Wes to come back in after Christmas but we are, evidently, not there yet.

So its about finding someone, at a reasonable level (package and footballing ability), that can come in and provide a "safety net" I suppose.  I think Davis is not ready and would really benefit from a full season at a PNE or Derby and I don't rate AEG, not that he could play as a "9" anyway.

What would you do/who would you look to sign or are you happy with Watkins and Davis?

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I am not saying he is a world beater but we are looking for squad players/back up options.  From what I have seen of him, he offers a lot more than AEG.

AEG 4 goals 5 assists. King 6 goals and 3 assists and 3 goals were penalties. Don't like AEG attitude but like King's even less and at least AEG shoulder helped us get promotion

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I would love to have Edouard competing with Ollie Watkins for the no. 9 shirt with Wes to come back in after Christmas but we are, evidently, not there yet.

This is pie in the sky nonsense. We're not spending 40 million on a striker to compete with Watkins for sole striker. What teams in the PL do this? Not even Liverpool

Traore has 1 in 2 record at CF. Smith has said they got him because he can play through the middle. It's Watkins Traore Davis

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I am not sure how good he is - I haven't watched Bournemouth enough - but he is potentially good enough to be a back up option for us at this stage of our development?

We don’t just want anybody especially at the 15-20m quoted

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

What would you do/who would you look to sign or are you happy with Watkins and Davis?

Definitely not happy with with Davis as back up.  For 15-20m there must be better, I don’t know who but having seeing King a lot he’s not the player.  

I don’t think the Villa will do anymore major business unfortunately, I think they are happy with their lot.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is pie in the sky nonsense. We're not spending 40 million on a striker to compete with Watkins for sole striker. What teams in the PL do this? Not even Liverpool

No.  You must be right.  Liverpool didn't just spend £45m on Jota to be a back up for Mane and Salah.  Man U didn't just spend £40m on VDB to be a back up for Pogba and Fernandes.  Spurs are looking at a £40m option for Vinicius (not sure if there is any obligation).  Wet Spam and Newcastle spent £40m last year on two back up strikers - Joelinton and Haller.  Celtic sources had stated £40m but I think they would have transacted at less.  Didn't Arsenal offer low £20m's?  Who knows where a deal might have got done.

I said that I don't think we are there yet but I do think, if we are aspiring to be where I think the owners want us to be then, at some point, we will need to be spending up and around this this level for competing players, especially at "9".  

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Definitely not happy with with Davis as back up.  For 15-20m there must be better, I don’t know who but having seeing King a lot he’s not the player.  

I don’t think the Villa will do anymore major business unfortunately, I think they are happy with their lot.

Maybe a loan deal for Slimani to 31.12 when Wes is hopefully back fit?  He's still got Ineanacho and Vardy in front of him?  Not sure what he has been like over the last 12 months but we have been linked heavily in recent times.

I do accept that these are not the long term solutions but looking to progress.

If you are right, and Davis is the back up, lets all hope that this is his breakthrough season!

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pie in the sky nonsense thinking. Was that not clear?

You just read the words you want to. He didn’t say we were going to sign a £40m striker at this point.

Your obsession with attacking any poster who even suggests that we might add to the squad is a bit bizarre to be honest.

Whilst we have a decent first 11, most people can see that there are weaknesses in the squad. It’s widely accepted that no squad is perfect and we aren’t, at the moment, in a position to build a squad that can compete with the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City etc. However we all saw that even the best team when weakened by injury, or in this case Covid, can be well beaten. 

It would be negligent if the club aren’t always looking for opportunities to improve the squad by any means possible, including acquisitions. We may not be able to add to the squad at this point, but I think it’s quite reasonable for people to speculate on a thread such as this one while the transfer window is still open. 

• Thanks 1

Â