Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think the Arsenal fan thing gets exaggerated. That Holte - End can be something special to a goalscorer. Little, Deehan, Gray and Big Peter, they all had that special connection. Can't forget that silky genius, Gary Shaw. I often think of what a player he could have become. Real Madrid type quality. 

Gaz was on the way to being world class no doubts!  However Ollie won’t beat his record of more women than goals in one season and he scored 25😀😀😀

• Haha 1

Only way I'd even consider, considering to sell him is if it's to one of the European Powerhouses ( Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus, Barcelona ) etc.

We'd be mental to sell him to any club in the Premier League, or perhaps selling him at all regardless of money.

Giving him to a team like Arsenal or any of the others around us would be shooting ourselves at point blank range.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Only way I'd even consider, considering to sell him is if it's to one of the European Powerhouses ( Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus, Barcelona ) etc.

We'd be mental to sell him to any club in the Premier League, or perhaps selling him at all regardless of money.

Giving him to a team like Arsenal or any of the others around us would be shooting ourselves at point blank range.

Tbf, I think the clubs you have named would maybe be the only type to turn his head. I would like him to stay as he reaches that peak, at least another big season. I wouldn't begrudge him a move to one of the big two in Spain. I could imagine him scoring plenty for either.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think the Arsenal fan thing gets exaggerated. That Holte - End can be something special to a goalscorer. Little, Deehan, Gray and Big Peter, they all had that special connection. Can't forget that silky genius, Gary Shaw. I often think of what a player he could have become. Real Madrid type quality. 

I thought Gary was underrated....fabulous player, who rarely lost it in possession.

they all was you mentioned.

a few decent players have come out of the borough of Solihull...Jack, Deehan and i think Kingshurst is in the borough of solihull, where Gary originated from.

Not sure, where Ollie Lives.....but he is in that company now, for forward play.

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Insania. But this is what happens when you have Emery as a manager . Put the right players making the right runs time after time and it becomes muscle memory in a way. He already has an idea where to play a ball due to repetition now.  The pau equaliser against Wolves, the outside of his foot back pass for Luiz against Brighton i think. The cross shot on Sunday for Bailey and the beautiful pass for Diabys are just a few. 

He has turned an inconsistent blow hot and cold talented plsyer into one of the most rounded and deadly in Europe. 

Normally the assist kings are those who do off the cuff stuff like Maddison and Wirtz or those who cross the ball like TTA or Ashley Young when he was here the first time.. The greatest compliment i can give Ollie is that he is equalling or outperforming those mavericks clearly with coaching and advice. Still doing his main job but also taken on a new skillset. 

nice piece, well said.

The difference with Ollie is that he's always been recognised for his shift. He runs, and runs, and runs. Chases down lost causes, presses defenders, tracks back, and just keeps doing it for 90 minutes.

To have now added more combined goals and assists than anyone else in the league to that makes him absolutely priceless. There is no figure that justifies selling him. And I don't think we'll be forced to consider one anyway. Everyone knows they couldn't afford him.

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

His price tag would limit him to those kind of clubs anyway

Arsenal aren't stumping up £120m for Watkins. They'll probably be too arrogant to think he's worth it anyway

• Like 1

Fitting that in that video of him and McGinn that the club released they both said that Ollie would be a PT if he wasnt a footballer. He is obviously one of those guys who just loves physical fitness and exercise (weirdo's)

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

His price tag would limit him to those kind of clubs anyway

Arsenal aren't stumping up £120m for Watkins. They'll probably be too arrogant to think he's worth it anyway

Thing is, he probably isn't.

He's a bit of a weird one - I don't actually think Watkins is in the elite striker bracket, even though his finishing has improved for us.  However, for us, he's absolutely perfect in that striker role because he does everything well.  Finishing, heading, hold up play, dropping into channels, feeding other attacking players - he does everything well but arguably doesn't excel at any one thing.

So we'd be asking for a crazy amount but he's (very likely) not worth the risk of a crazy amount to any other club.  It's only good news as far as Villa are concerned :D 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I thought Gary was underrated....fabulous player, who rarely lost it in possession.

they all was you mentioned.

a few decent players have come out of the borough of Solihull...Jack, Deehan and i think Kingshurst is in the borough of solihull, where Gary originated from.

Not sure, where Ollie Lives.....but he is in that company now, for forward play.

I think he's a bit better than John Deehan ever was. Gary Shaw we will never know how good he could have been but not tye knee injury at Forest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villan95 said:

26 man squads confirmed for the Euros, even Southgate can't leave him out now..

Southgate be like: " To reference my best friends at Aston Villa.... Would you bet against me doing it ? "

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villan95 said:

26 man squads confirmed for the Euros, even Southgate can't leave him out now..

Just a matter of how many minutes he gets now then...

Mr Percy, why put that last dozen words in to kill a positive article when it is unlikely as you say…it puts doubt in our heads.  If it’s highly unlikely then don’t write about it (I know it’s your job), we don’t even want to think about Ollie leaving.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mr Percy, why put that last dozen words in to kill a positive article when it is unlikely as you say…it puts doubt in our heads.  If it’s highly unlikely then don’t write about it (I know it’s your job), we don’t even want to think about Ollie leaving.

Realistically, there has been paper talk this week of Isak being linked to Arsenal and now Barcelona. Is Isak better than Watkins?

I think there is a couple of scenarios in which Ollie Watkins might leave us this summer -

1) we fail to qualify for the Champions League and either Liverpool / Man City / Arsenal or another Champions League club make a crazy offer. In this scenario I don’t think he would go to any other team in England other than the top 3, but there is a chance he would leave.

2) we qualify for the Champions League, in which case I don’t think he would leave for any other English team, but he may leave if a club like Barcelona come in for him. I know it feels implausible and huge jump to think of Ollie playing for huge European team like that, but I really do think his performance this year and the numbers he is posting would make it a possibility that a club he could not refuse come in for him.

We have to accept that we have a handful of players now - Martinez, Torres, Konsa, Luiz, Watkins - that we would love to keep, but they are capable of playing at the very very highest level, and we aren’t quite there yet, and it is plausible that one or two could leave. If they do, I don’t think we should worry, we will get good money and we will use it wisely to strengthen the squad. Liverpool and Spurs have done this over the years and it’s made them stronger, certainly in Liverpool’s case.

To be clear, I don’t want Watkins to leave, and I don’t think he will because I feel we will make top 4 now, but I don’t think Percy is wrong to suggest we are making plans for “the unlikely event of Ollie Watkins leaving for a huge transfer fee”. It would be irresponsible if we weren’t doing this!

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

Ollie is on track to achieve his ambitions with Villa. Even if we downed tools now we would still end up in the Europa League. Which is another step up the ladder. He is doing so well because of us, not despite us. He has just watched the manager responsible for his improvement commit until the summer of 2027. There is nothing to worry about. 

• Like 3

Â